Is Steve Brown Qualified / Should He Go

byebyedundee

If the elite team costs 6 figures per annum to run that puts a lot of pressure on A.S to produce quality to sell on.

Maybe Geoff was correct that its a waste of money

Although it does cost 6 figures to run, we would get more cash from SFA should we attain Elite level, which would/should cover any outlays - thats the impression I got anyway.

AS's record and reputation speaks for itself, so I have full confidence in him.

If the elite team costs 6 figures per annum to run that puts a lot of pressure on A.S to produce quality to sell on.

Maybe Geoff was correct that its a waste of money

Doesn`t look like we are getting a great return from the elite status or whatever it is called. Do we need to be part of it just to get get some under age games of football. Just asking as don`t know enough about it.

Pat answer. Thats Ross`s job. What the feck are the other hangers on on the board & Beve doing.

I must admit it was odd that Ross wasn't there, although I think that its not a case of setting him up as a fall guy. Re. the other Board members, Charlie has extensive legal background so that will be useful not sure about the others though. Beve on the other hand runs the lotto, the Muirton and all the associated bits like the hospitality etc along with other members of staff.

Please note that all the attendees gave up their time for free, and its not every day you would get the Chair/Board sitting down with fans to discuss these types of issues. Can you imagine that happening at Celtic? Sure Peter Lawell would be quite happy to sit down and discuss what he was spending the clubs money on. Not.

Doesn`t look like we are getting a great return from the elite status or whatever it is called. Do we need to be part of it just to get get some under age games of football. Just asking as don`t know enough about it.

Its way more complex than that. They did explain it on the night, but I didn't take a note of it. As usual there's money involved with funding etc, but I got the impression that we would have to lose some of our youth teams if we never got elite status - something to do with only a certain amount of teams being allowed into elite league.

Maybe someone else on here could give a more concise explanation than me! Also if the all weather pitch is more than 8 years old then the SFA require it to be renewed as part of this process.

The thing about the elite level is that Saints aren't at it yet. There are currently four teams aiming to fill two slots at the elite level. Much discontent at the fact that these four clubs are having to spend a fortune trying to get to the required standard (which is apparently a tick box exercise) but two of them won't get it, meaning the money is wasted. Doesn't seem to be any reason for the SFA to have set it up in such a closed shop type of way which will exclude two clubs who want to reach that level from the top youth development table.

The replacement of the astro came under that heading - as Glenn states, if it's over 8 years old you can't use it for elite level matches and as such it had to be replaced to allow Saints to move up. There appeared to be a real determination that the youth set up is a big part of our future. We may not have seen huge results from it quite yet, but we are aiming to produce players for our first team down the line, which will hopefully reap rewards. I think we'd all agree that if we could get close to the Dundee United model of that kind of thing we'd all be delighted.

why dont they put information in the match day programme then ? saintglenn72 you have given out more information in one statement than the whole club and secret 7 elite have ever done.i hope they don't excommunicate you for divulging secrets !

I think the point was that everything that was discussed was public knowledge. I work in the public sector myself so have no problem information sharing - hopefully the appointment of Ross will ensure that this continues on.

Its way more complex than that. They did explain it on the night, but I didn't take a note of it. As usual there's money involved with funding etc, but I got the impression that we would have to lose some of our youth teams if we never got elite status - something to do with only a certain amount of teams being allowed into elite league.

Maybe someone else on here could give a more concise explanation than me! Also if the all weather pitch is more than 8 years old then the SFA require it to be renewed as part of this process.

Cheers for the responses Glenn. Wish some of the secret 7 or their 5 guests could have been so forthcoming.

Would also add that as far as the "infrastructure" stuff goes, the point was basically made that we've made losses for several years, last season we made a relatively small profit on a higher turnover thanks to the cup run and we had about £300k worth of work that was absolutely vital for the fabric of the buildings - stuff like fire safety equipment etc - but also for the future of the club (astro replacement). Decision was essentially taken to spend the money on those things when we had it rather than risk it getting worse and becoming more expensive down the line.

I think there was also perhaps probably an acceptance that the communication from the club wasn't great over the summer. For example, they cleared up the whole thing about the budget being set late. They were waiting for the SPFL to tell them how much they were due in terms of prize money/sponsorship share etc - but that didn't come until late July. Last year they had been expecting one figure but had been upwards of £20k short when the money was finally distributed. A repeat of that was obviously undesirable.

Would also add that as far as the "infrastructure" stuff goes, the point was basically made that we've made losses for several years, last season we made a relatively small profit on a higher turnover thanks to the cup run and we had about £300k worth of work that was absolutely vital for the fabric of the buildings - stuff like fire safety equipment etc - but also for the future of the club (astro replacement). Decision was essentially taken to spend the money on those things when we had it rather than risk it getting worse and becoming more expensive down the line.

I think there was also perhaps probably an acceptance that the communication from the club wasn't great over the summer. For example, they cleared up the whole thing about the budget being set late. They were waiting for the SPFL to tell them how much they were due in terms of prize money/sponsorship share etc - but that didn't come until late July. Last year they had been expecting one figure but had been upwards of £20k short when the money was finally distributed. A repeat of that was obviously undesirable.

Note of fees came out at the SPFL AGM on 27th July - not ideal planning for the season ahead!

Cheers Jamie.

As I posted some time ago, I have no issues with money being spent on infrastructure. Indeed, this season was probably the most opportune time to do so.....increase in income from last season, less risk realistically of being relegated with Rangers, Hibs and Hearts out the league, as Jamie says, wait and it might cost more etc etc

The whole issue has arisen due the way the club failed to communicated this positively to the supporters and general public.

Hopefully lessons have been learned, the team we have can do the business and keep us in the SPFL and we can all look forward to next season with a financially stable club perhaps back in a better position to push for top 6 / Europe / cups again (based on the assumption that we wont be doing that this season - which I can accept as long as the guys on the pitch try their best week in week out) 

Cheers for the responses Glenn. Wish some of the secret 7 or their 5 guests could have been so forthcoming.

How do you know that SaintGlen isn't full of propaganda....

he's certainly being semi informative here but I have to say there is something not right about his response....

Dont believe everything you read rather than hear and see.....

The fact that he thinks Celtic dont have supporters meetings is crap as I know a couple of Celtic fans that have attended a very vocal but orderely meeting with the Chairman...Anyway Celtic are a bigger club clearly higher level.. To me there is too much of a hidden agenda and lack of experience on our current board...

Maybe we/you could put all notion of the Secret 7 behind and focus on the way forward? I'll be trying my best to get an invite to all similar events in the future.

I agree but it's difficult.all this cloak n dagger secret 7 stuff has left a nasty taste in the mouth along with the secret meetings of selected supporters.none of whom appeared to be very representative of ordinary supporters.

And I don care what celtic do or don't do for there fans.

he's certainly being semi informative here but I have to say there is something not right about his response....

The fact that he thinks Celtic dont have supporters meetings is crap as I know a couple of Celtic fans that have attended a very vocal but orderely meeting with the Chairman...Anyway Celtic are a bigger club clearly higher level.. To me there is too much of a hidden agenda and lack of experience on our current board...

I know SaintGlen personally and all he is doing is passing on what he heard to the best of his (limited :razz: ) abilities using whatever notes he took.

He deserves thanks for making the effort to take notes to share....he could quite easily have just sat and listened.

He is certainly not a puppet passing on what the Chairman wants him to say.

Ha ha.i thought the same as you but I will give the dude the benefit for now.

As I posted some time ago, I have no issues with money being spent on infrastructure. Indeed, this season was probably the most opportune time to do so.....increase in income from last season, less risk realistically of being relegated with Rangers, Hibs and Hearts out the league, as Jamie says, wait and it might cost more etc etc

The whole issue has arisen due the way the club failed to communicated this positively to the supporters and general public.

Hopefully lessons have been learned, the team we have can do the business and keep us in the SPFL and we can all look forward to next season with a financially stable club perhaps back in a better position to push for top 6 / Europe / cups again (based on the assumption that we wont be doing that this season - which I can accept as long as the guys on the pitch try their best week in week out) 

*What Eddie said

Thanks to Saintglenn for posting summary of questions.  It was good to see some information.

However it is pretty ridiculous that people have to find out about it this way.  A summary could have been provided on the website, promoted via twitter etc.  There is a certain irony in that many of the points raised relate to engaging with the fan base and yet the club are unwilling or unable to publicise this event and what came out of it.  Some of the answers given also leave a fair bit to be desired.  Nobody is pretending it is easy running a football club; that does not mean you can fob supporters off with any old response.  Many of them seem to show a certain degree of contempt for anyone daring to answer a question.    

It seems Ross will be very busy over the next wee while. We heard a lot more from him when he wasn't employed full time by the club in my opinion but hopefully that changes.

Propaganda? And whats not right about my response, pray tell?

To be honest I don't really care about other clubs, only Saints and was pleased to be invited along, but as usual there are those on here who decry the whole thing!

Thanks to Saintglenn for posting summary of questions.  It was good to see some information.

However it is pretty ridiculous that people have to find out about it this way.  A summary could have been provided on the website, promoted via twitter etc.  There is a certain irony in that many of the points raised relate to engaging with the fan base and yet the club are unwilling or unable to publicise this event and what came out of it.  Some of the answers given also leave a fair bit to be desired.  Nobody is pretending it is easy running a football club; that does not mean you can fob supporters off with any old response.  Many of them seem to show a certain degree of contempt for anyone daring to answer a question.    

It seems Ross will be very busy over the next wee while. We heard a lot more from him when he wasn't employed full time by the club in my opinion but hopefully that changes.

I have attended events recently where the organisers have somebody Tweeting 'real time' - meaning people can follow the meeting / event whilst it is on and can tweet in relevant responses or further questions and the person can then raise them at the event if felt appropriate 9although I understand it was pre-submitted questions in this case)

I know SaintGlen personally and all he is doing is passing on what he heard to the best of his (limited :razz: ) abilities using whatever notes he took.

He deserves thanks for making the effort to take notes to share....he could quite easily have just sat and listened.

He is certainly not a puppet passing on what the Chairman wants him to say.

Thanks for your support Eddie, I could do with more of that!

Not sure about my (limited) abilities though!