Spartak Trnava

Cleveland-Saint

I have no idea about purchasing tickets on the day of the match but I can ask a few mates on Tuesday or Wednesday and see what turns up. Sorry I cannot give any more info on that for the moment.

I wouldn't recommend mixing in with the Spartak fans. They have a real nutter element and were they to be losing it might get ugly. There is likely to be a strong police presence at the game given recent events and my experience of other European games here tells me that will be protocol. Just follow instructions from the cops if they give you and you should be fine but they'll probably have riot gear on (don't be alarmed by this, it is very much standard for European matches.

I've never been to that stadium but I don't think it is all that big. Purchasing tickets would depend very much on how many Spartak fans wanted to go to the game. The locals are far more likely to get those tickets than Saints fans.

I think it would be better to sort out tickets from your end.

Zlaty Express is fast and effective to get to Nitra but there are other buses that go that way. They head to Zilina, Brezno and other places in the North of the country.

There are also trains but they are slow (and by slow I mean VERY slow unless they are inter-city and you don't need them for where you are going).

The problem you have with the buses is simply that they are like the typical coaches that go say from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Unlike in Scotland it is pretty much first come first served. If you're there early enough and get on the bus whatever seat you get is yours.

The Zlaty Express I believe allows you to purchase tickets beforehand but I've never done that or needed to but I am only one person. http://www.turancar.sk/buslinky_new/index.php/e-ticket

Bratislava is safe to celebrate in but it will cost you. Nitra on the other hand is far more reasonable.

Zlaty Moravce's hotels will be modern and the Staff will speak English (or some of them anyway) but don't expect them to be multi-lingual in small towns here.

I know for a fact that a number of the bars and restaurants in Nitra and of course Bratislava do have a lot of young people who can speak English so not to worry.

The place I posted in Nitra will cost you 15 Euros a night. Hotels will be upwards of 25 and many hotels here are not cheap.

Bus drivers very likely won't talk English so just say the name of where they want to go and you'll be fine.

If I get an idea of how many Saints fans are coming I can give more details and possibly even meet up with you and act as a guide initially but like you I'll be stuck in Zlate Moravce unless I get adequate transportation from the game so that might be out of the question but a Tuesday meet up and settling in in Nitra I can do without a problem.

If you are coming directly into Bratislava I can meet you at the airport or I can meet a group at either the bus or train stations depending on what suits best.

I have no idea about purchasing tickets on the day of the match but I can ask a few mates on Tuesday or Wednesday and see what turns up. Sorry I cannot give any more info on that for the moment.

I wouldn't recommend mixing in with the Spartak fans. They have a real nutter element and were they to be losing it might get ugly. There is likely to be a strong police presence at the game given recent events and my experience of other European games here tells me that will be protocol. Just follow instructions from the cops if they give you and you should be fine but they'll probably have riot gear on (don't be alarmed by this, it is very much standard for European matches.

I've never been to that stadium but I don't think it is all that big. Purchasing tickets would depend very much on how many Spartak fans wanted to go to the game. The locals are far more likely to get those tickets than Saints fans.

I think it would be better to sort out tickets from your end.

Zlaty Express is fast and effective to get to Nitra but there are other buses that go that way. They head to Zilina, Brezno and other places in the North of the country.

There are also trains but they are slow (and by slow I mean VERY slow unless they are inter-city and you don't need them for where you are going).

The problem you have with the buses is simply that they are like the typical coaches that go say from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Unlike in Scotland it is pretty much first come first served. If you're there early enough and get on the bus whatever seat you get is yours.

The Zlaty Express I believe allows you to purchase tickets beforehand but I've never done that or needed to but I am only one person. http://www.turancar.sk/buslinky_new/index.php/e-ticket

Bratislava is safe to celebrate in but it will cost you. Nitra on the other hand is far more reasonable.

Zlaty Moravce's hotels will be modern and the Staff will speak English (or some of them anyway) but don't expect them to be multi-lingual in small towns here.

I know for a fact that a number of the bars and restaurants in Nitra and of course Bratislava do have a lot of young people who can speak English so not to worry.

The place I posted in Nitra will cost you 15 Euros a night. Hotels will be upwards of 25 and many hotels here are not cheap.

Bus drivers very likely won't talk English so just say the name of where they want to go and you'll be fine.

If I get an idea of how many Saints fans are coming I can give more details and possibly even meet up with you and act as a guide initially but like you I'll be stuck in Zlate Moravce unless I get adequate transportation from the game so that might be out of the question but a Tuesday meet up and settling in in Nitra I can do without a problem.

If you are coming directly into Bratislava I can meet you at the airport or I can meet a group at either the bus or train stations depending on what suits best.

Didn't they film the movie Hostel there.

It is set here but it is pure fiction.

Slovakia is as safe as anywhere else but like anywhere else you need to be smart in a town you don't know.

Richard,

Thanks for all your input. This is real time info and invaluable for those considering the challenge on travelling to see Saints.

I salute you sir.

Richard,

Thanks for all your input. This is real time info and invaluable for those considering the challenge on travelling to see Saints.

I salute you sir.

Thanks very much.

Delighted to help.

I know it can be a bit confusing here especially when you are heading to small towns here as I live in one and it took me some time to get used to things here.

As I say if any Saints fans are heading over on the Tuesday I can meet them and help them out.

Just seen this on the UK Government advice page which may be worth knowing -

Local laws and customs

Unruly or rowdy behaviour between 22:00 and 06:00 is illegal and could attract the attention of the police. Bratislava has become a popular destination for stag parties and tourists have been fined or imprisoned for causing a public nuisance.

You must carry your passport with you at all times as identification. Keep it safe in a zipped up pocket or secure bag, and keep the details separately in case you lose it.

Taking photographs of anything that could be perceived as a military establishment or somehow security related, may result in problems with the authorities.

Don’t get involved with drugs in any way. Penalties for smuggling, possession and use of drugs are severe.

It is an offence in Bratislava Old Town to drink alcohol in the street. There may be exceptions for seasonal markets (such as the Christmas Market) and outside seating areas of restaurants and bars.  But drinking alcohol (for example bought in a supermarket) in other public areas could result in a fine of €33.

Money

The currency of Slovakia is the Euro.

Change cash and travellers’ cheques at proper banks or bureaux de change. Kiosks, although legal, offer poor exchange rates and there is a greater risk of theft.

You can’t exchange Scottish or Northern Irish bank notes.

Make sure your passport is in a presentable condition before you travel. The Slovak authorities can refuse entry if your passport is worn or damaged, or looks as if it has been tampered with.

Richard

Thanks very much for all the info and help you have provided so far. When you meet up with the Saints fans it shouldn't be an expensive night for you as you deserve a free beer from many on here.

My questions relate to travelling back on the day after the match. We are booked into Hotel Vion in Zlate Moravce after the match.(thought it easier than trying to get to somewhere else on match night). We need to be at Bratislava airport for 11.15. Looking at travel from Zlate Moravce on Friday morning Seems like 8.05 bus via Trnava is best to Bratislava train station and the number 61 bus up to the airport (no rail link to airport I believe).

My questions are any alternative routes and how reliable are the buses? Should we consider starting our journey back earlier?

Many thanks in anticipation of you answering and more than happy to catch up and buy you a beer.

Richard

Thanks very much for all the info and help you have provided so far. When you meet up with the Saints fans it shouldn't be an expensive night for you as you deserve a free beer from many on here.

My questions relate to travelling back on the day after the match. We are booked into Hotel Vion in Zlate Moravce after the match.(thought it easier than trying to get to somewhere else on match night). We need to be at Bratislava airport for 11.15. Looking at travel from Zlate Moravce on Friday morning Seems like 8.05 bus via Trnava is best to Bratislava train station and the number 61 bus up to the airport (no rail link to airport I believe).

My questions are any alternative routes and how reliable are the buses? Should we consider starting our journey back earlier?

Many thanks in anticipation of you answering and more than happy to catch up and buy you a beer.

yahoorsir

No problem.

The buses are reliable not counting accidents on the road and delays of course.

They pretty much come when they say they are coming in my experience. I've had two late buses in 6 years and no late trains even in bad snow.

If you are more comfortable travelling earlier then there is a 6:40 bus to Bratislava  which is direct and gets you into the main bus station by 8:45. When you are there go out of the front door and cross the street. Directly opposite the bus station there are stops for the small trolley buses. Get number 210 (I think but check on a link I posted earlier as it has an English translation) which takes you up to the main railway station.  From there you can get a direct airport bus. There are loads of them and you'll see a lot of folk with suitcases heading that way.

You are right that there isn't a rail link to the airport (the word for airport in Slovak is Letisko). From the train station to the airport the bus will get pretty busy so try and get a seat with your luggage to avoid the inevitable squeeze as people travel out to a giant shopping complex called aupark en route to the airport. Here most of the bus will empty unless they go straight on to the airport.

There are also direct buses from Zlate Moravce to Bratislava at 7:20 7:50 and 8:50.

Bear in mind the bus station is about 20 minutes from the train station through Bratislava traffic which is a total pain in the backside and is likely at that time of the morning to be very busy. You might even find a traffic jam as you approach Bratislava itself so factor that into your thinking.

You can of course get straight to the bus station and then jump a taxi but without fail that will cost 20 euros because that is what it always costs unless the taxi driver is a rip off merchant of which there are MANY in Bratislava especially for foreigners. I speak to them in Slovak and they still rip me off so be warned.

Another possibility is if you are in a group you could ask your hotel if the local taxis do a flat rate to Bratislava airport and you'll be taken directly without all the stops a bus or train would make. It might cost 50 Euro or thereabouts but if there is a group of you it won't be so bad. Your call.

If I were you I would stick with a direct bus because changing and finding where you need to get to to move on can be a problem AND the time it takes to get from one bus to the next or to any train station can be tricky and if your not the kind of person who likes rushing things you'll only give yourself grief.

Plus having looked at some of the towns where you might need to change I'd be inclined to just get a direct bus because they are pretty small and obscure with the exceptions of Nitra and Trnava. If you decide to change at Nitra it is pretty self explanatory once you get there. There is a row of toilets and mini-pubs/cafes in a block and in front of them is a set of stances which are under a steel roof. You'll probably see a big yellow bus or two that says Zlaty Express. This is always Nitra to Bratislava (other yellow buses go on to Prague or Brno and they are usually at stance 1 or 2. Just read the timetables they have up. They are usually in large lettering beside each stance so I think you can't miss it.

Trnava bus to train station is walk-able and it is connected by a bridge or a walkway of some kind. It's been years since I was in that town so I can't remember.

Anyway I hope this information is useful to you and hope to meet up with you on the way.

Fantastic information Richard.  Well done to you for coming on here and helping out the guys fortunate enough to be making this trip.

No problem. Glad to do it. A family I am friends with are all Saints fans so glad to help out.

Out of interest how many Saints fans are coming?

Where are you all staying?

What time are you getting in?

What day?

Do you have a plan for a meet up place?

If you let me know I can meet up and act as a guide.

It would be nice to come and meet fellow Scots.

hi everyone,

i am a slovakian, born and bred in trnava, who wants to say hello!

as i read some of the posts here and saw that (quite understandably) you've got a couple of problems with getting to the match on Aug 7, i'd like to give you a hint or two how to make it safe:

the match takes place in a small town of zlate moravce, which is 80 km away from trnava (to the east) and some 120 km away from our capital bratislava (to the north-east). the reason for this is that spartak trnava's ground looks like this atm> http://www.trnavskyhlas.sk/c/13795-foto-pozrite-sa-ako-napreduje-vystavba-city-areny.htm  so spartak had to find an alternative venue where to play its games.

the stadium in zlate moravce looks like this> https://sk-sk.facebook.com/fcvion/photos/pb.138120299541060.-2207520000.1406549179./751363278216756/?type=1&theater

those who plan to arrive by plane, pls be aware that the airport is not far from the city itself. it is just 15-20 mins from the city centre by a bus (number 61). the bus stop is right outside the airport terminal. you need to buy the ticket that is valid for 60 mins and costs 90 cents. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Bratislava_Airport_new_terminal_BTS.jpg

and those who stay in b'lava through the night and then travel to zlate moravce on the match day, the easiest way is to go by bus as there are no interchanges! the journey takes 2 hrs. i'm not 100% sure here, but it should cost about €5.50-€7.00 depending on the company. i know that trains are much more comfortable, but there is at least one interchange. use this site> http://cp.atlas.sk/vlakbus/spojenie/ (switch to english language at the bottom) to find the right connection.

good luck! and i hope that you will enjoy your stay here!

peter

Edited by pmiks

yep, trnava have the best fans in slovakia. even those who support rival clubs (eg. slovan b'lava) do not deny it.

this was taken two yrs ago (europa league match v steaua bucharest) at (now completely demolished) old ground> 

and this one had been the year before that (europa league match v lokomotiv moscow)> 
league match v levski sofia)>

and this has been the previous el match against georgians in zlate moravce>  

Edited by pmiks

After a bit of wasted time with some companies a coach company  "Momentum Coach Hire" have come back with a costing of £4335.68 for a 49 seater Executive Coach with toilet. 

Leaving Perth on Tuesday 1900 and arriving back early Saturday. Door to door for between £100-£150 depending on numbers

It now does not look like I can make it due to the time scale but if anyone else wants to take it forward I can forward the quotation.