Anyone Else For Summer Football ?

callander saint

As well as enjoying the great result on Thursday i must say it was a pleasure to see so many families at the game. The attraction of a Euro game was   obviously the main reason we had a good crowd but i also feel the good weather helped

put a good number on the gate ( especially families ) .  I sat with my wife and kids all dressed in T-Shirts and shorts and  

must say that this was a far more comfortable and pleasant experience than sitting with several layers on  at MacDiarmid

Park on a freezing Feb afternoon with my kids constantly complaining about being cold .The traditionalists will probably
allways  favour the current Aug to May season but this traditionalist could be converted . Anyone else interested ? . 

The only reason football is seen as a winter game is that the English public schools played cricket in summer.

I am all for summer football maybe even get more TV money.

Down side may be how will our long runs in Europe be affected?

Another upside will not need my travel rug for the west stand

There are certain Traditions that should remain - a team's colours or name being obvious.

Summer Football on the other hand makes a bit of sense - ok, we'll never be guaranteed the great weather (just look at Pars v Raith being postponed yesterday) but it increases the chance of better weather and with it probably better crowds.

As much as we all love going to games there really is nothing worse than getting frostbite on yer arse at Ross County or Kilmarnock in the dead of winter.

The football authorities never give a hoot for those fans that have to travel to a game. It may only be a few hundred yards but if the pavements are covered in ice and your not too steady on your feet then you will stay at home. For those further afield you are not guaranteed you will get home if the forecast is better so you decide not to go even although youve spent money on a season ticket.

Or even worse how many of us have set off for a game and been turned back when we are virtually at the ground.

Roll on summer football!!!

For clubs like Saints to survive in the medium to longterm they need to start attracting more families / young fans.

Despite having very good deals availble in Ormand Stand ( Adult and 2 kids for £15 ) this area is rarely more than

a quarter full. From a pricing point Saints cannot do much more and my personal view is that Summer Football is the best chance we have of attacting more families along . On a cold winter day most kids would rather stay at home and

play with their Play Station. Times are changing and Football has to be prepared to move with the times. As a younster

i enjoyed going with my dad to Muirton in all weathers but in these days it was go to the football or watch Grandstand

or Dickie Davies on World of Sport.KIds have far more choice these days and we need to persuade them that going to a

live match is good fun and Summer Football would help i feel .

nowadays, familes have holidays all thru the year.

summer fitba would mean bigger crowds without a doubt,more women, kids and older people would go to the matches and sit in comfort more often.

there is nothing better than going to a match in a tee shirt, so so much more enjoyable.

Pitches would be better, thus ball skills would improve and overall football would improve in this country.

Clubs would run more efficiently, less heating, lights, bigger crowds.

the positives far outweigh the negatives tenfold.

The only problem would be your season would start at best in the first week in February and finish in late November/early December. So you'd only actually miss about 5-6 weeks tops of winter - in particular missing out on games on the lucrative Christmas to New Year period. You'd also have to stop for European Championships/World Cups every other year.

Also, you'd have a massive fixture congestion issues towards the end of the season-say the final day is November 30, all games kicking off at 12.45. A game in Glasgow is ok to start but a game in Perth has to be postponed due to the weather. Quite a feasible circumstance and what do you do in that scenario?

There's little evidence that crowds have improved in other countries where summer seasons have been adopted and there's been a shift back to winter seasons in some countries.

The only problem would be your season would start at best in the first week in February and finish in late November/early December. So you'd only actually miss about 5-6 weeks tops of winter - in particular missing out on games on the lucrative Christmas to New Year period. You'd also have to stop for European Championships/World Cups every other year.

Also, you'd have a massive fixture congestion issues towards the end of the season-say the final day is November 30, all games kicking off at 12.45. A game in Glasgow is ok to start but a game in Perth has to be postponed due to the weather. Quite a feasible circumstance and what do you do in that scenario?

There's little evidence that crowds have improved in other countries where summer seasons have been adopted and there's been a shift back to winter seasons in some countries.

Tell me which countries have switched back?

Other countries are looking at changing to summer football.

So there is a wee bit hassle with Tournaments, you work round that, other countries do it al the time, a wee bit hassle maybe cause a game gets postponed, if that is the negatives then there is no argument for me.

"A massive fixture congestion" you don't know that, it may happen once every 5 years,

honestly is that the best you can do?

At the very least, all amateur, junior, kids football should be summer.

It can only improve our game.

To still insist on playing football in winter, on mud, in snow, in freezing conditions is just plain daft.

And for us to prefer to watch it in that weather, we are daft too.