St Johnstone V Spartak Trnava 31St July

norwichsaint

From what I have read we have a real chance to go one better than last year.

The anticipation of reaching the first round proper should take care of pre-match build up and entice a similar crowd back through the gates this Thursday.

To those fans considering giving it a miss on the basis it is the first leg or last Thur can't be beaten, imagine how gutted you'll be if it's the last European venture for another 20 years or so. Just saying....!

Let's not take this experience for granted. Can you imagine the excitement if we get ourselves past Trnava and then just one team away from the group stages.......

So, same crowd and atmosphere please and for me, same team to start......

COYS

Edited by norwichsaint

Looking forward to this.  Couldn't really look forward to the Luzern game because I knew they'd be better than us and it would be nerve shredding.  While I don't think we should underestimate the opposition this time, I think we might be able to play some better football against them, and for all Saints can defend superbly, we are a better team going forwards.

'mon!

Think they are a better team then Some Saints fans are presuming. They look a better team then Minsk but not as good as Luzern. It'll be intriguing to see how they play at McDiarmid, Minsk came

Over here and played defensive, despite losing against us in Belarus. They'll know about our ability to nick a goal away from home in Europe, so I'd imagine they'll be more committed going forward.

Minsk de ja vu all over. I'm more concerned about this game than against Luzern.

Yeah, I have that feeling too, but I also think we have a right to be more confident in our teams abilities than last season. Despite the face we have similar personnel to last year, this team is now substantially better as a complete unit, and also considerably smarter and better prepared for european opposition.  Minsk was a hard lesson, but one that only needed learning once.

I think Thursday night showed that.

Minsk de ja vu all over. I'm more concerned about this game than against Luzern.

Given the high of last Thursday I would imagine this sentiment might be shared by many.

As Montrose said, think the team have learned lessons and improved as a result. Hope any pessimism doesn't extend beyond those in the stands.

Going to be interesting to see how we approach this one too!

If we play as well as we are capable of I will have no worries.

Trnava are no mugs and will give us a game especially in slovakia with their fans behind them.

Lets all get behind the team at McD and get a result with a clean sheet to take over there.

On another note is the away game being broadcast anywhere?

Projector still available if this is the case. ( Larky )

Seems to be quite rare for us to have the first leg at home. At least it means there can't be extra time or penalties this week!

Seeded team at home for first game. Is there supposed to be an advantage in that.Surely you would rather go to extra time & pens at home.

Seeded team at home for first game. Is there supposed to be an advantage in that.Surely you would rather go to extra time & pens at home.

Nowt to do with seeding.

There is a slight advantage in playing away second as we have another 30 minutes to get an away goal, should it go to Extra Time.

IS THIS GAME BEING BROADCAST ANYWHERE???????

If we play as well as we are capable of I will have no worries.

Trnava are no mugs and will give us a game especially in slovakia with their fans behind them.

Lets all get behind the team at McD and get a result with a clean sheet to take over there.

On another note is the away game being broadcast anywhere?

Projector still available if this is the case. ( Larky )

got no holidays left, took my last one for the lucern game :(   backshift so cant even get through after work as the game will be over :(

I'm out of holidays too, so the away trips are now out for me.

Thankfully the home legs are just in scope, so wont miss those. Might be that someone will broadcast it live though, whether it's the radio or STV or something.

Not too much excitement about this one just now it seems. The number of people I've spoken to, even some Saints fans, who don't realise it's this Thursday is a bit worrying.

Hopefully the club set the correct price structure for the game. With it being pay at the gate, if it's anything other than a nice round number (£20?) then the queues could be a nightmare with people waiting for change, turnstile folk running out of change etc.

Yep, club confirmed it would be pay at the gate. From the website:

"Timescales dictate that the home leg next Thursday (31st July) at McDiarmid Park will be pay at the gate – details on pricing to follow shortly. Once again, it will be a 7.45pm kick-off."

Hi Jiangsu Sainty

The Official Site has already stated the match will be pay at gate, prices still to be announced tho! (see below)

Well, games don’t come much more tense than last night’s thrilling encounter with FC Luzern. The penalty shootout went to the wire and the scenes of celebration at the end were memorable.

The Europa League fixtures come thick and fast at this early stage and we now have home and away games against Slovakian side Spartak Trnava on the next two Thursdays.

Timescales dictate that the home leg next Thursday (31st July) at McDiarmid Park will be pay at the gate – details on pricing to follow shortly. Once again, it will be a 7.45pm kick-off.

The club are already in dialogue with Spartak on various issues, not least the away leg of the tie on 7th August. The Slovakians are not playing in their home town at the moment due to stadium reconstruction and played last night’s game in Zlate Moravce, 50 miles to the east of Trnava. Spartak have applied to UEFA to play Saints at the same venue and this looks likely to be approved today.

Details on admission to this game for Saints fans will be published as soon as we have it.

Last night’s success also means the rescheduling of our opening SPFL premiership fixture at Ross County which will now take place in Dingwall on Sunday 10th August at 3pm.