St Johnstone V Spartak Trnava 31St July

norwichsaint

I was bad and tempted fate by booking my bus for tomorrow at the beginning of last week because it was only £1. Very glad I did now.

I am hoping for a great atmosphere like last week but I think, like what has been said previously, the fact it is the first game of the leg means that there isn't a sense of 'everything to play for' just yet.

I also hope it isn't as hot as it was last week. It nearly killed me!

Funnily enough the OS has just announced the North Stand will be open.

Given the perceived lack of a buzz about this game, wonder if the club now realise the season ticket reserved seat thing could lead to problems in the East Stand?

Think we will go in the North - will allow for more drinking time beforehand!! 

Hello, I m from Trnava.  I have some videos for you:

Last match in EL

Last away game in Slovak league

I think that our team is more quality than your. We play offensive football. We have own club television Spartak TV. Our stadium is in reconstruction. New stadium will be have 19 000 seats(

) , but now we have problem, because we play EL in Zlaté Moravce.

Our Fans:

Hello, I m from Trnava. I have some videos for you:

Last match in EL

Last away game in Slovak league

I think that our team is more quality than your. We play offensive football. We have own club television Spartak TV. Our stadium is in reconstruction. New stadium will be have 19 000 seats(

) , but now we have problem, because we play EL in Zlaté Moravce.

Our Fans:

Welcome to the forum, I wouldn't be so confident that you are better than us, I'd imagine it's a complete unknown for both sides how good the other is, hopefully be a good tie with the Super Saints winning.

A TRANSLATED QUOTE FROM THEIR MANAGER , TODAY

The health status of the polepšil, which is one hundred percent fit, jumped, us, and the rest of the players are fine. You guys got after it a difficult programme two days off. I think that it has helped them. We have prepared carefully and I believe that odohráme good matches. Everything they could, we got hold of the opponent. We do not have the DVD, only because it was difficult to get it. I just saw the final of the Scottish Cup with Dundee. It's the epitome of Scottish football, excellent environment and good fans waiting for us, so we are looking forward. The Scots are favourites in the rankings are far higher, this is football country. I'm not saying that we are not, but the reality is that they are doing better. We're going to grapple with it, '' he said before the departure of coach Juraj Jarábek of Spartacus.

The health status of the polepšil, which is one hundred percent fit, jumped, us, and the rest of the players are fine. You guys got after it a difficult programme two days off. I think that it has helped them. We have prepared carefully and I believe that odohráme good matches. Everything they could, we got hold of the opponent. We do not have the DVD, only because it was difficult to get it. I just saw the final of the Scottish Cup with Dundee. It's the epitome of Scottish football, excellent environment and good fans waiting for us, so we are looking forward. The Scots are favourites in the rankings are far higher, this is football country. I'm not saying that we are not, but the reality is that they are doing better. We're going to grapple with it, '' he said before the departure of coach Juraj Jarábek of Spartacus.

No...... I'm Spartacus!

Vyskočil (experienced striker) is back in contention after three weeks lay-off with broken wrist. Apart from a couple long-term absentees the lads look fresh. They got two days off at the weekend after a busy period. Hoping to give yous a good game. They couldn´t get a dvd of the Saints vs Luzern game (why we couldn´t send a scout over there like the Saints did to Slovakia is beyond me). "We´re gonna fight against higher ranked team."

Welcome to the forum, I wouldn't be so confident that you are better than us, I'd imagine it's a complete unknown for both sides how good the other is, hopefully be a good tie with the Super Saints winning.

Agree with this. I bet that fan never seen your team play. The general concensus amongst our fans is that the only good Scottish team are Celtic and the rest is poor, playing some old fashioned kick and rush football. They haven´t learned from our tie against Sligo Rovers a couple years ago. We kicked them out thanks to a 3:1 home win but they gave us a hard time over in Ireland only to miss a penalty in a one sided first half. I know you have a great support which will put our talented but still quiet inexperienced side under a lot of pressure so anything can happen.

That said, Spartak have played some great football this year so that´s probably where our confidence to get past the Saints is coming from. We´d put a club record of eight wins in a row since March to May and have started this season in great fashion too. We haven´t sold our rough diamonds like we used to in the past. Even added new faces to already very talented core and have a manager with a vision of dynamic, attacking football. 

There´s four Slovakia U21 internationals on the team, one full international and we´ve just added La Masia graduate who absolutely run the show in the middle of the park against Zestafoni. Defence looks stronger as well thanks to players being as fit as I´ve seen my team in 30 years - pressing the hell out of opposition - but that´s one of the reasons we´re over-agressive. We commited 36! fouls against the Georgians, giving them a lot of free kicks in dangrous areas. That´s where my main worry is as I´m sure the Saints will have a good few headers of the ball on their team.

Before the Luzern vs St Johnstone tie, our fanbase was rooting for the Swiss side as much handier destination to get to. On the other we tought the Scotts would be easier to get through. With youse beating Luzern over a two legs which is quiet an achievement, and the kick-off getting closer I´m not that sure about our prospects anymore. Think it´s going to be pretty close. For those who have a chance to attend the game in Perth but still not sure if it´s worth it, I´ll say this: let´s get behind your team, cheer them up, support your team and the manager who will need it in these though times, after loosing his mother. There´s also highly technical, pacey attacking team comming to your town so I´m sure you´ll have a great time. Enjoy  

Agree with this. I bet that fan never seen your team play. The general concensus amongst our fans is that the only good Scottish team are Celtic and the rest is poor, playing some old fashioned kick and rush football. They haven´t learned from our tie against Sligo Rovers a couple years ago. We kicked them out thanks to a 3:1 home win but they gave us a hard time over in Ireland only to miss a penalty in a one sided first half. I know you have a great support which will put our talented but still quiet inexperienced side under a lot of pressure so anything can happen.

That said, Spartak have played some great football this year so that´s probably where our confidence to get past the Saints is coming from. We´d put a club record of eight wins in a row since March to May and have started this season in great fashion too. We haven´t sold our rough diamonds like we used to in the past. Even added new faces to already very talented core and have a manager with a vision of dynamic, attacking football. 

There´s four Slovakia U21 internationals on the team, one full international and we´ve just added La Masia graduate who absolutely run the show in the middle of the park against Zestafoni. Defence looks stronger as well thanks to players being as fit as I´ve seen my team in 30 years - pressing the hell out of opposition - but that´s one of the reasons we´re over-agressive. We commited 36! fouls against the Georgians, giving them a lot of free kicks in dangrous areas. That´s where my main worry is as I´m sure the Saints will have a good few headers of the ball on their team.

Before the Luzern vs St Johnstone tie, our fanbase was rooting for the Swiss side as much handier destination to get to. On the other we tought the Scotts would be easier to get through. With youse beating Luzern over a two legs which is quiet an achievement, and the kick-off getting closer I´m not that sure about our prospects anymore. Think it´s going to be pretty close. For those who have a chance to attend the game in Perth but still not sure if it´s worth it, I´ll say this: let´s get behind your team, cheer them up, support your team and the manager who will need it in these though times, after loosing his mother. There´s also highly technical, pacey attacking team comming to your town so I´m sure you´ll have a great time. Enjoy  

I think the description of your team could almost be a description of our team to be honest, even down to the way you guys play. One difference is you guys have added players whereas we haven't! Last season was the best one in our entire history. We finished in the top half of the top flight for the 3rd consecutive season, knocked Rosenborg out of the Europa League, reached the semi final of the minor national cup before going on to win the major one for the first time in our history. We've held our squad together largely, losing only 1 player from our cup final starting 11, and we've got some Internationalists/U21 Internationalists of our own and a striker who scored 27 goals in all competitions last season. We've also got the best cup manager we've ever had - the results (both domestically and in Europe) show this. We've started this season by knocking out FC Luzern, who I'd say were a better team than Rosenborg by quite some distance so we've proven it's not a fluke.

I don't think one side can confidently predict they'll win this match to be honest. The Scottish and Slovakian leagues sound like they're of a similar standard and by right neither of the two sides would've been seeded in this round, seeing as we claimed Luzern's seeding. I get the feeling this game is going to be more scrappy than the one against Luzern, which is our bread and butter really. I think we struggled against the technically better and much quicker Luzern team.

Appreciate the insight Sabo, thanks. You're research of us amounts to more than I have found out about Trnava, so I may be speaking from a comparatively blinkered view point.

Your comments are fair and have served to wet the appetite. I hope your manager also assumes we have little else to offer than kick and rush! While openly conceding that many on the continent appear to have better technical ability, this in my mind underplays that we also have some good and technically capable players.

Living in England i put up with many who assume that the only decent team in Scotland is celtic, so no apology needed! You have an excuse at least, the lot I put up with are just......well that's for another forum.

If Trnava are a fit as you suggest AND you enjoyed an extra weekend of rest, we are in for some show. I hope it's still a contest for next weeks game......would hate you to have nothing to play for especially with you having to make that journey to your second home!

COYS

Having a good recent run and some good players in the national U21's is clear evidence of a decent side.  The following quote from our comrade in Slovakia indicates to me that that they will attempt to break up the play as much as possible, this looks very similar to Minsk.

36 fouls!! 

"Defence looks stronger as well thanks to players being as fit as I´ve seen my team in 30 years - pressing the hell out of opposition - but that´s one of the reasons we´re over-agressive. We commited 36! fouls against the Georgians, giving them a lot of free kicks in dangrous areas".

The 12th man is crucial and at times patience needed from the fans.

Having a good recent run and some good players in the national U21's is clear evidence of a decent side.  The following quote from our comrade in Slovakia indicates to me that that they will attempt to break up the play as much as possible, this looks very similar to Minsk.

36 fouls!! 

"Defence looks stronger as well thanks to players being as fit as I´ve seen my team in 30 years - pressing the hell out of opposition - but that´s one of the reasons we´re over-agressive. We commited 36! fouls against the Georgians, giving them a lot of free kicks in dangrous areas".

The 12th man is crucial and at times patience needed from the fans.

As a comparison, Minsk fouled 33 times last year at McDiarmid Park. A stronger ref would have seen them reduced to 10 men very early on.

No idea at all what to expect here.