St Johnstone V Spartak Trnava 31St July

norwichsaint

You are correct about it being the wrong thread but wrong about it not being in the world media. So hamas can fire rockets and Israel have to stand back and let it happen? Keep it away from St.Johnstone and the children flying the flag probably do not have a clue

Gets angry about folk making polticial statements; makes political statement.

Pleased  with the team not giving up the ghost and sneaking a goal at the end.we all know that Saints can play better than this,and maybe next week they will.! the goal will have raised the spirits of the fans that are travelling next week. As for the Palestinian Flag.WTF .What happens when some other quarterbrain decides to bring an Israeli Flag.! no place for this crap at McDiarmid  Park.

Spartak did not look that good when we pressed them, so we do that for the whole game.

You can't do that though, its physically impossible. We could easily have lost three goals today as they missed a sitter, we stepped up the pitch and were getting ripped apart by their pace on the counter. Not sure why people think it'll be different over there. If we go gung-ho we'll get ****ing embarrassed, but if we don't then we don't stand a chance. Its a conundrum 

Wrong thread to discuss this my friend. (but) If we were being wiped out by the english for example and it was being ignored by the world media would you not be pleased if people were trying to bring it to other peoples attention. If there was a flag there tonight I am delighted that there are Saintees with compassion who know what's going on.

You are absolutely correct it is the wrong forum to discuss but football is also the wrong forum to be flying the flag. Do you really think anybody who doesn't know what's going on is going to see that flag at a Saints match and recognise it or be bothered to find out what it's all about. Did I miss the live coverage that was going to allow it to be seen by the watching billions of ignorant people around the globe who don't watch the news?

Who boos their team off at half time of a European match? Some of our so called fans are a joke.

Dead right.  Couldn't believe our "fans" would boo the team at half-time and then leave early as well - shocking.  Yep it was a bad day at the office, but it wasn't down to lack of effort. This team has been brilliant for the club and that should not be forgotten.  We're going to lose sometimes - but we should not be resorting to booing the team at half-time.

Disappointing night.  Saints looked flat footed all over the park.  Spoons the only real threat.  They were not great, but certainly deserved their win.  2nd goal a nightmare on such an occassion!  Mclean looked lightweight by his own standards, but the service was poor.  I know many home fans will disagree, but I thought the ref was ok, he could easily have produced a few more cards.  IMO since the Aberdeen semi at Tynecastle Saints have peaked again and again, tonight seemed one too far.

On the bright side, May and Ando should boost middle, front, and back if they are fit next week.  Classic 'captains goal', McKay was cool and measured with the finish just when needed and that keeps Saints in the tie.  The fact that they are away from their home ground and it will be a small crowd might work to Saints advantage, especially now ST are strong favourites, this will suit Saints and Tommy's favoured formations.

No hot food 20 mins before half time?  dear, dear, dear no excuse for that! :wink:

You can't do that though, its physically impossible. We could easily have lost three goals today as they missed a sitter, we stepped up the pitch and were getting ripped apart by their pace on the counter. Not sure why people think it'll be different over there. If we go gung-ho we'll get ****ing embarrassed, but if we don't then we don't stand a chance. Its a conundrum 

We could always play the way we did in the final against United.

Not gung-ho but hunt the ball down and go at them with pace and direction.

Managers fault for the tactics.

Players fault for a lack of intelligence in keeping the ball, tackling, tracking, passing, shooting etc.

Wotherspoon is not a support striker.

O'Halloran is not a winger.

Only decent thing tonight was eventually the goal. Someone remember what to do.

They are not better than us, but as a team they worked their socks off for each other. Shame that can't be said about our players.

I think its time the chairman has to sign at least one person. We are thin on the ground. We have no cover at centre half. Cuptie is a right back, one of the best in the league and should stay there. Using excuses like we have no money is a load of shite! 7,001 tonight, 8486 v Luzern. Even on a basic showing that could potentially be £200,000 gate money.

Don't share the sentiment we're still in this tie, for me thats us out. We're not going to score two over there, and even if we do we'll likely concede more than one in the process. You could tell after five minutes they were a better side than us, the pace they possess is frightening, and for the second European game in a row a team with an attacking playmaker has had all the space in the world, TW seems to be getting off lightly with the majority of fans around me after the game blaming Steve Brown and saying TW is blameless, but we should really have tried to be tighter early on considering what happened last week. 

Not sure whether the team was affected by the huge effort last week, TW being missing for most of the week or the sudden May pull out, maybe a mixture of them all. Regardless we weren't anywhere near the standard we should have been, we seemed to decide early on the long punt was our best hope so resorted to this pointless tactic for the next 90 minutes, completely negating our four attacking players, when we did play it on the ground we either just gifted back possession due to nobody creating an option, or we fashioned a chance for ourselves. Losing Chris Millar was a lrage blow, as the midfield struggled to cope in terms of energy after that.

The first goal was just awful, a sublime finish though. The second was pure naiveness, with Brown sliding in without it really being necessary and playing a perfect through ball to their striker, I hope it doesn't affect him too much though, as before that he was brilliant.

Gary Miller seems to be morphing into Gary Irvine though. Constantly caught out of position, utterly brutal deliveries and struggles with the simplest of tasks.

TW seems to be getting off lightly?  Are you suggesting the manager who has just delivered our first ever major trophy and has given as some trememndous European nights and various other great times should be getting a hard time for one below par performance?  Because if that is what you are suggesting then you need to have a serious word with yourself.

Edited by jhq

We have no cover at centre half. Cuptie is a right back, one of the best in the league and should stay there.

If we have cover in any position, its the defensive ones. Agree to a point though, Id rather Mackay at right back than Miller, who I'm beginning to distrust, and Scobbie in beside Wright

Disappointing result but by the sounds of things they are just better at football. Faster, more skillful and better at passing the ball to their players. The goal gives Saints a chance, the key will be an early goal over there and Stevie May getting a couple like he did in the semi last season.

As for the money issue, preseumably the chairman thinks there isn't enough money to pay for these players otherwise he'd make it available. There's no money in Scottish football, everyone knows that, what really needs to happen is for kids to be trained properly from an early age at all levels of the game.

It absolutely infuriates me that we are unable to attack with any pace whatsoever.

We get the ball at the back... and just takes us absolutely forever to move from front to back.

Mannus takes about 3 months to distribute the ball and it was always a long ball down the field. Every time Maclean did win it no one was anywhere near the flick on.

Can't believe there was a palestinian flag being flown amongst our fans tonight, leave that shite to sceptic

There is international outrage at the appalling war crimes. I dare say there would have been many Palestinian flags flown across Europe at fixtures this evening. 

The goal keeps us in it I think.  Well done Zone F for creating atmosphere and getting behind the team.

The worst i've seen Saints play that I can remember. Going 4-5-1 at home in the first leg was a poor move, as was the high balls to Maclean, not sure he got a single one all night. You could see how frustrated he was shouting at the midfield - if there was such a thing - for most of the first half. We are in dire need of someone who could control a midfield, but then Cregg and Dunne are gone, Muzz is crocked and took long enough to get back into shape last season, who knows how long it will take this time. We looked good at the start of the second half, but then, let them back into it, before a suicidal backpass. When we put them under pressure, they looked to struggle, and it does look like they are an average side we made look much, much better. I can only assume that the Saints players must have thought the Slovaks had Ebola, with how far off them they were. Look at FCL and how quick they closed us down, thats what we should be doing, not letting a team run and run at us. Not sure why we don't shoot on sight either, always a chance it could take a deflection and in, or corner, but trying to pass it into the corners to cross or pass to the net doesn't work.

The only highlight of the night was the announcer referring to the UEFA delegate as coming from Czechoslovakia, on a night where we play a Slovakian team. What a tool. 

At least we got that goal, but that is pretty much that over now. 

TW seems to be getting off lightly?  Are you suggesting the manager who has just delivered our first ever major trophy and has given as some trememndous European nights and various other great times should be getting a hard time for one below par performance?  Because if that is what you are suggesting then you need to have a serious word with yourself.

Yes, his tactics were wrong tonight and so were his substitutions. Everyone around me blamed Steve Brown and said TW was completely blameless though, which simply isn't true. We needed energy in the midfield, and someone willing to get beyond MacLean, Caddis played that role against Minsk to perfection. He completely ignored him despite numerous players looking off the pace. 

He's one of the best managers we've had, thats not up for debate. But he makes mistakes, and tonight he made them, I won't simply ignore that due to his history