St Johnstone V Spartak Trnava 31St July

norwichsaint

Early thoughts are either they were a no bad side, or we were well of the pace especially the first half, Garry Miller, Crofty, Spooner, O Halloren, just seemed to be struggling with their pace/style of play, Scott Brown dug away but the gift pass back for the goal could have  deflated him but he continued to play way after that so well done,  Mannus I need to see it again but something just did not look right when he tried to  deal with the guy running in who intercepted the pass back, Kane and MaClean caused a bit of trouble in the End and Both could have seen Red if the Referee and linesmen had seen a couple of the challenges fly kick out steve done during the night, however they never seen much that was going on so I suppose it evens out over the game.

Need a big improvement from individuals next week to pull it off.     

Gutted. We were poor, but they were a pretty decent side - I wouldn't compare this lot to Minsk who were obviously pretty sh!te. They had quite a few decent chances before they scored. They sat back in the second half, but always looked dangerous on the counter attack. Can't see us winning over there tbh. Great atmosphere early on in both halfs (before they scored)

It was pretty obvious tonight that any signing Wright makes will not be spending their season in the stands. Some of that was desperate, the midfield ineffectual. I really hope Davidson is back in there ASAP. Macca needs more support next week. Why are we so pedestrian? What stops us breaking at anything over 2mph? Gary Miller has not had a good start to the season. Thank god their time wasting led to our goal.

Don't share the sentiment we're still in this tie, for me thats us out. We're not going to score two over there, and even if we do we'll likely concede more than one in the process. You could tell after five minutes they were a better side than us, the pace they possess is frightening, and for the second European game in a row a team with an attacking playmaker has had all the space in the world, TW seems to be getting off lightly with the majority of fans around me after the game blaming Steve Brown and saying TW is blameless, but we should really have tried to be tighter early on considering what happened last week. 

Not sure whether the team was affected by the huge effort last week, TW being missing for most of the week or the sudden May pull out, maybe a mixture of them all. Regardless we weren't anywhere near the standard we should have been, we seemed to decide early on the long punt was our best hope so resorted to this pointless tactic for the next 90 minutes, completely negating our four attacking players, when we did play it on the ground we either just gifted back possession due to nobody creating an option, or we fashioned a chance for ourselves. Losing Chris Millar was a lrage blow, as the midfield struggled to cope in terms of energy after that.

The first goal was just awful, a sublime finish though. The second was pure naiveness, with Brown sliding in without it really being necessary and playing a perfect through ball to their striker, I hope it doesn't affect him too much though, as before that he was brilliant.

Gary Miller seems to be morphing into Gary Irvine though. Constantly caught out of position, utterly brutal deliveries and struggles with the simplest of tasks.

Who boos their team off at half time of a European match? Some of our so called fans are a joke.

We were brutal first half, improved to mediocre second. Still believe we can do this though. Credit to the young team again, fantastic atmosphere and supporting the team in the correct way.

Disappointed with tonight's effort. Only plus marks given to Dave MacKay. At the end of the day we are fortunate to still be in Europe after both legs against FC Luzern. 4-5-1 at home didn't work. But hey ho, am booked to go to Slovakia next week so at least the missus will get her duty frees. You never know. COYS.

Who were those impostors on the pitch tonight? That wasn't the Saints we've gotten used to.

If I t was our players then why did they abandon the approach that has served us well so far in favour of one where misplaced passes and hurried play cost us a winnable match?

Spartak were ok but we made them look good. Like losing to Hamilton in the first round of our defence of the cup, in my opinion.

That, for me, was an aberration. We can't be as bad again next week.

Edited by andrew

So you agree with it then?

Wrong thread to discuss this my friend. (but) If we were being wiped out by the english for example and it was being ignored by the world media would you not be pleased if people were trying to bring it to other peoples attention. If there was a flag there tonight I am delighted that there are Saintees with compassion who know what's going on.

Wrong thread to discuss this my friend. (but) If we were being wiped out by the english for example and it was being ignored by the world media would you not be pleased if people were trying to bring it to other peoples attention. If there was a flag there tonight I am delighted that there are Saintees with compassion who know what's going on.

Yes, it's a bad situation, but I prefer football to be apolitical.

Last week I thought it was a poor performance due to the quality of the opposition but for me this week was exactly the same against a poorer team than Lucern.

We are dreadful at keeping the ball, struggled for most of the game to string two passes together.

As good as Dave and Wright have been for us their lack of pace is now costing us dear, in both home games we have been painfully slow at the back.

The front two last week and Macca this week end up battling with the opposition presumably due to the lack of decent supply to them.

Scott Brown looks decent but I' m not sure how long we can rely on someone so young.

Due to the chairman's decision to starve Tommy of funds our bench is woefully short of any real game changing quality despite only a couple of injuries so how does he expect Tommy to change things tonight when it was going so wrong in the first half. There will be arguments about the players that are missing but how much creativity do Ando, Murray and Chris Miller give us?

Two games, two poor performances, for my money if the club don't support Tommy he'll either walk or the team will suffer and there's a chance he'll be emptied by Christmas. The fans and the good feeling that has been building will disappear again and it will be downward spiral time again for us. Alternatively we could spend some of the money from the final and this last two games, bring in a couple of decent players and keep the bandwagon rolling. The choice Mr Brown is yours but the evidence against your current policy is pretty compelling at the moment

Ok we are down 2-1 and played pathetically however we are still in the tie.

Spartak did not look that good when we pressed them, so we do that for the whole game.

Saints can still do it, we just need to believe and go for it.

Doubt if we collectively can be that bad again.

Cannot make Slovakia so roll on the draw for the play off round so I can plan another trip with Saints