Stevie May

Hardolez21

"BBC reporting £800,000 plus add ons" I am not a great believer in add ons as they do not always come to fruition as they are outwith our control. It may be;

a) number of caps whats the chance of getting full caps in the next year

b  number of goals scored he might not settle and fail to achive the number required

c) Rotherham not get relegated we cannot be sure they will not be

Within our contol is;

d) An additional ammount in monthly instalments certain income (I wouild hope this is at least £200,000)

e) Sell on clause again we are not getting any money until he is transfered if he signs a 3-4 year contract it is a long way down the line and the amount will depend on how good Stevie performs in a second rate team in the Championship. Should it be 5% an he sells for what we sold him £800,000 we we would get £40,000 not a lot.

I believe we should be looking for as much as possible up front but according to BBC report £800,000 was what the board asked for in November. 

Edited by Inchcolm

Here's my take on what's going on:-

Negotiations with May and his agent have stalled - no middle ground on contract extension middle ground.

Rotherham manager makes statement re interest in May / ongoing discussions - question whether with SJ approval. Probably not as not the first time he has broken cover on an offer.

SJ make statement confirming Rotherham interest and by proxy inviting offers from other interested parties for May.

If SJ value / contract terms are not met for the transfer of May where does that leave matters? He continues on til end of season, unless suitable offer emerges in the January window, at existing terms. There is an agreement between now and end of season to extend for further period - unlikely. May leaves at end of season - SJ get development fee for him ( how much is this likely to be?) and effectively save the additional salary that is on the table now.

As much as we would all want him to stay, I suspect his head has turned and thus we might not see the level of performance that we saw last season if he were to stay in circumstances where SJ were unwilling to accept offers tabled. All in all I think he will go - hopefully to a team with a higher profile and aspirations than Rotherham.

Question is what then happens. Of greater concern is TW situation - long term he is worth more to us than May. He has been publicly embarrassed by Brown over signing policy - utterly reprehensible given the fact that TW gets the financial constraint bit and what he has delivered since his appointment and off field achievements in terms of community engagement. Hopefully this has been resolved but i reckon much will depend on whether or not bridges are built including squad strengthening whether or not may stays.

Whatever, the feel good factor has all but disappeared. What a missed opportunity - but not too late to repair the damage.

I've not read anything personally to suggest that most Rotherham fans wouldn't view this as a tremendous signing. 

Steve Evans is a great manager,  and he has been a major factor in all of our signings that have got us two successive promotions.  He has undoubted motivational qualities, an example being 2-0 down at half time in the Playoff Final, to come back, and go on to win. 

Lets hope he doesn't take you down the Boston United route. Not even allegedly?

All truly depressing and IMO and looks very likely we will lose our best player and most talented manager we have had for many a year before a ball is kicked in anger this season.

If I was TW and achieved my goals set by my boss and then get publicly embarassed by sme truly offer PR and not rewarded with a new contract or a budget of any sorts I would be considering my options.  TW's CV is excellent, top six finish, scottish cup win, euro adventures all on a shoe-string budget and would find a job no bother

We need to be realistic and accept market forces.

The top English teams now view SPFL as a diddy league because Goodwillie, Boyd etc have gone down south and flopped.

If Stevie were to sign a new contract with Saints another 30 goal season in Scotland, would add very little to his transfer value. The only way his transfer value would go up as a Saints player would if he scored a pile of goals in Europe against quality opposition (a pen against Luzern ain't enough) or he got an international call-up (and we know there appears to some unwritten rule which says Scotland don't pick Saints players).

If he was to "only" score 10 to 15 goals next season, it might help us get into top 6 but his transfer value would undoubtedly drop.

I think now is the right time for Saints to sell as his value is likely maximised so we should accept best offer on the table. I know it is galling that the Arabs have banked £5 million for 2 of their "wonder kids" (and I bet that very few of their fans would have turned down a straight swap of May for either Gauld or Robertson) but sadly that lot have got a "brand" which enables them to sell players for inflated fees.

Just some thoughts from a Rotherham perspective.We arent the biggest club,but,at this point in his career,probably his best option.Prem league teams arent going to sign him,and bigger championship clubs,will see it as a gamble.In recent seasons,we have had Le Fondre and Dicko,two of the best strikers i have seen,both playing in the championship.Is he as good as them?I doubt it.

What would he gain from staying and playing the same teams 5 or 6 times a season?Playing in front of 3k most weeks,and going onto the pitch,knowing you are going to lose most games?He wont be an automatic choice and will have to up his game.If he is as good as you think he is,he will get his move to the prem,sooner rather than later.If he isnt,he will probably be loaned out to several northern clubs.

I appreciate it must be a bit daunting for him,leaving a very small town(pop50K) but if he has got any ambition,its a move he will make.

I just about choked when I read that bit. Sorry, but do you think Rotherham are going to spend the season up around the top of the Championship? Some of the fans down there are simply deluded. Most slag of Scottish football and haven't watched a game in their life.

However this scenario pans out, SB's credibility with the fans is f*cking zero and a lot of positive PR work would be required but will never be done. Remember this is the man that recommended to his father we should and did sign Michael Moore

Makes it clear why Stevie did not play on Thursday. Had he played, and stayed for another week, we would have given ourselves a better chance of getting through this round. If we did get through the following tie would have been worth more than £1m.

The board are short sighted.

I would love Stevie to stay, but it looks asthough he is away. Atleast he will be guaranteed a Scotland cap within the next 12months. Something I don't think he would get if he stayed at Saints.

Just throwing this out there, but there seems to be an assumption this is all coming from the club, May not playing, no contract being signed etc. I wonder if it is the agent that has stirred this up and has basically said May isn't going to sign a new contract any more...or is asking for so much dosh the club can't afford it...hence the budget being blown away.

I'm sure somebody will tell me how United can get three million each for Robertson and Gauld with add ons as well but is May really only worth a quarter of either if them?

Mainly because they signed long-term contracts I would assume...perhaps May's agent isnt willing to?

Just some thoughts from a Rotherham perspective.We arent the biggest club,but,at this point in his career,probably his best option.Prem league teams arent going to sign him,and bigger championship clubs,will see it as a gamble.In recent seasons,we have had Le Fondre and Dicko,two of the best strikers i have seen,both playing in the championship.Is he as good as them?I doubt it.

What would he gain from staying and playing the same teams 5 or 6 times a season?Playing in front of 3k most weeks,and going onto the pitch,knowing you are going to lose most games?He wont be an automatic choice and will have to up his game.If he is as good as you think he is,he will get his move to the prem,sooner rather than later.If he isnt,he will probably be loaned out to several northern clubs.

I appreciate it must be a bit daunting for him,leaving a very small town(pop50K) but if he has got any ambition,its a move he will make.

we would still trump you. Bigger wages or not.

Last two days have been totally depressing. Will be gutted if Stevie goes to Rotherham as think he is better than that standard and for his own benefit think he needs to think very carefully about this. However if money is high enough amount and enables Tommy to get in perhaps three additional players to refresh the squad might actually turn out to be a positive for Saints. Trying to convince myself of this though. Gutted Nigel has found a new club as was holding out in vague hope we might offer him something

The Chuckle Brothers were appointed as honorary presidents of Rotherham United in 2007 in recognition of their contributions to the football club. Is May replacing one of them as striker :laugh:

I remember the Chuckle Brothers supported them in their TV Show - I genuinely thought they were a made up team!

In the Beano the Bashstreet Kids supported Bashstreet Utd, maybe they will be signing our next player!!

Last two days have been totally depressing. Will be gutted if Stevie goes to Rotherham as think he is better than that standard and for his own benefit think he needs to think very carefully about this. However if money is high enough amount and enables Tommy to get in perhaps three additional players to refresh the squad might actually turn out to be a positive for Saints

WHAT?? Name me three players available on free contracts that would equate to anything close to one Stevie May. Its a f**king joke!!

I just about choked when I read that bit. Sorry, but do you think Rotherham are going to spend the season up around the top of the Championship? Some of the fans down there are simply deluded. Most slag of Scottish football and haven't watched a game in their life.

I have seen a few games,and wasnt very impressed to be honest.I  think we will do ok this seasin.. I think  you are underestimating us.We have a very ambitious chairman,a manager with successive promotions behind him,and a nice new stadium,which will be full neary every game.Even if he scores 30 goals for you next season,you will get less money for him,unless he signs a new contract,which seems unlikely.I know its sad losing your best players,but perhaps its better for all concerned.

Losing most games?? Are you taking the piss?? Away and roger yersel.. :laugh:

How many times have the mighty Rotherham played in Europe?? how many cup finals you made??  How many semis have you made?? ****me, you have not even made it passed the 5th round of the FA cup and  got to the league cup final 54 years ago. Away and spout yer pish elsewhere ya fud..

For the record. St.Johnstone have lost 49 games out of the last 140. 

And finally our wee town is a City, which you correctly states only has a population of 50,00 unlike Rotherham where I believe the population is around 250,000, and yet.......

Our average attendance over the last 5 seasons is just over 4200 which is  about 8.5% of the population.

Rotherham Uniteds average attendance over the same period is about  5400 which is just over 2% of yer population. ( which is frankly PATHETIC)

So if May dos end up there then he hardly notice a difference loss or crowds wise but he will notice that compared to Perth and Perthshire, Rotherham is a shitehole..

The lad would need to mad to go. :wink:

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton