Stevie May

Hardolez21

guys like stevie may really dont come along often for a team like saints. an amazing young striker with huge potential who IS A SAINTS FAN. 

why are w a) trying to sell him after one season playing for us b ) trying to sell him below what he is worth.

sign him up on a long contract and build a team around him. all we had to do was add a couple of players to what we had last season ffs.

don't sell him until we get an offer we and he cant refuse (eg top championship club for 2 million if he has another 25+ season) instead of begging rotherham to come up 800k to take him off our hands

i get the feeling SB thought the bids would be rolling in for May and now he's praying Rotherham can come up with the 800k or that all this paper talk alerts another club to make a move when the obvious answer is to tie May up for another season or two...

Edited by belfastsaintee

Seems ridiculous to say that SM contract extension talks have paused because of Rotherham interest if that contract extension will help Saints play "hard ball" 

The original article on the BBC was actually quite detailed but I am unsure of how well informed they are -

"May scored 27 goals for St Johnstone last season, and the Perth club has offered him a new contract, with his current deal running out next summer.

Those talks are currently on hold, although St Johnstone have made a good offer within their budget parameters. Even as a team newly promoted to the Championship, Rotherham could comfortably make a higher offer."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/28614902

Of course we can play hardball....we have a player who allegedly wants to stay with us......he is in contract...we are still in Europe....surely we are in the driving seat on this? Why settle for under a million?

I'll be well pissed off if he goes but mega pissed off if he goes to bloody Rotherham.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/st-johnstone/wright-has-targets-in-mind-if-stevie-may-leaves-st-johnstone-1.508294

"Rotherham are definitely showing their hand and negotiations are ongoing. We have always been looking for players but we haven’t been in a position to sign anybody. It is a difficult situation"

Why are we not in a postition to sign anyone?!! WTF is going on?!

Seems like Tommy has his hands tied by SB and ultimately SB is calling all the shots regarding the squad

Edited by Saint.Justin

I have spoken recently to a pro who played at Rotherham and he tells me they have mega bucks. They have a cracking new ground and the owners expectation is that they will be in the EPL in the next 5 years.

I know the name sounds pants but their finances put a lot of "bigger clubs" to shame.

Rotherham have signed a young forward from Chelski on loan for the season. Apparently he has been scoring for fun in the stiffs. Seems like fatty Evans is good buddies with Jose and if you believe that......! Heard a rumour from the Terriers in my house that HTFC may enter the race as their striker James Vaughan has more sick notes than Murray Davidson.

I have spoken recently to a pro who played at Rotherham and he tells me they have mega bucks. They have a cracking new ground and the owners expectation is that they will be in the EPL in the next 5 years.

I know the name sounds pants but their finances put a lot of "bigger clubs" to shame.

I don't recall the owner saying that publicly although he did say, when they had to vacate Millmoor and decant to Sheffield, that they would be back in Rotherham, in their wholly owned stadium, and be in the Championship, within 5 years. They have done that but this is going to be a big test as it is a difficult league to get promoted from and an easy one to become fodder.

Selling May to anybody under £M1 will show a complete lack of ambition.  I don't mean ambition for the team, rather the ability to make serious money.  Going to Rotherham now will be particularly short sighted, both for May and the club.

I fully understand the need for financial stability and applaud that, but the chairman needs to employ a bit of cunning and forward thinking.  I know that Brown Senior has said that he will not interfere with Brown Junior, but perhaps this is the time for some wise words.

I also fully understand that the Chairman job is to make tough decisions and not to try to win a popularity contest, but selling the club short for a quick buck is not the way to go.  Many die-hard supporters who understand the need for good finances will be mighty p!ssed off and rightly so.

So SB, you risk losing the goodwill and support of many core supporters with the wrong decision, and all the goodwill brought about by Brown family over many years could easily vanish. 

Balls this one up, and you are in big doo-doos.

Of course we can play hardball....we have a player who allegedly wants to stay with us......he is in contract...we are still in Europe....surely we are in the driving seat on this? Why settle for under a million?

I'll be well pissed off if he goes but mega pissed off if he goes to bloody Rotherham.

I hope you're right about us being able to play hardball.I'm not so sure.

Rotherham must know that we are short of players and that Tommy can only spend if we sell May. Tommy, I think, must be desperate for new players and will probably want SB to get things sorted asap!

SB has made us look desperate.

I really don't understand SB , Steven Thomson at united would show him a trick or two ..I mean why doesn't he wait until Stevie attracts more interest and he,l get more for him and we go further in Europe. Thomson kept on saying how good Gauld and Robertson were and that they didn't need to sell them because there in a good place financially[no debt] and he got great money for them..are they any better than stevei? .Instead SB publicly tells everyone that our manager isn't getting 1 player until we sell Stevie because we have no money but we are in a better position now than for a few years??

Saints wanted Stevie to extend his contract.

Stevie wanted to sign on for another year.

Stevies agent entered negotiations and asked for more money.

SBrown has dug his heels in and said no to the agents demands.

SB has offered a contract extension but on almost identical terms to his current deal.

Stevie has said no as TW has said in the press SM has refused to sign his contract extension.

I am convinced SM was not being greedy but SB played hardball.

Stevies agent will be on between 5 and 10 % of the transfer fee. The agent stands to make a lot of money when Stevie goes.

I believe he was and still is happy to stay but his agent will be pushing for a big pay day.

It is difficult to criticise SB as none of us know exactly what is going on in what will be an ongoing discussion.

SB going live on the official site was purely to see if anyone elsr is interested.

All we can do is wait and see what happens.

If SB gets the money he wants Stevie will be on his way.

He is a young lad who has played a big part in a great team who have given us our best ever season ever.

SB will be doing what he thinks is best for saints but I think he has failed miserably in not getting the contract extension agreed.

SB needs to do a lot more to keep the support on side as his current PR skills are sadly lacking.

I would love to see Stevie hear for another year but I suspect that will not happen.

the problem is SB was hoping for a bidding war and all he's getting is one team interested who cant afford to pay what May is worth.....

now it looks like we are begging for teams to enter the bidding when what should be happening is we sign him for longer and sell him in the future when an offer we cant refuse comes in

if Danny was worth £1m in 1996 and Callum sold for £1.75m in 1998 how is Stevie May in 2014 ( with all the money in English football ) only worth £800k ? 

so what happens next ????????

Edited by belfastsaintee

the problem is SB was hoping for a bidding war and all he's getting is one team interested who cant afford to pay what May is worth.....

now it looks like we are begging for teams to enter the bidding when what should be happening is we sign him for longer and sell him in the future when an offer we cant refuse comes in

if Danny was worth £1m in 1996 and Callum sold for £1.75m in 1998 how is Stevie May in 2014 ( with all the money in English football ) only worth £800k ? 

so what happens next ????????

Unfortunately you can't compare those prices to today. The English clubs know that there is not much money in Scottish football. Now if we had proper management of the league up here that would be different.

In any business you can't break the wage structure that is in place for one person never mind how much oyu want to keep that person, if you do all the other employees (players here) will form a queue at your door or get pi@@ed off and leave so I'd presume an offer has been made at the top of the wage structure that is in place  If it's not accepted then best route is to sell.

Unfortunately you can't compare those prices to today. The English clubs know that there is not much money in Scottish football. Now if we had proper management of the league up here that would be different.

yeah its not the 1990s.... all the daft money has gone from England  :laugh:

I mean in 2014 its not like Dundee Utd -  the team we beat in the cup final and basically matched in the league last year are selling Gauld for £3m with a 60m euro buy out clause...

Or look at Robertson , 4 times they turned down offers from Hull and eventually they sold him for £3 million after Hull came back a 5th time... Dundee Utd had to do some serious work to avoid the banks forcing a sale the previous January to Everton for £700k.

The difference here is they had their players signed up and said NO till the offer was too good to say no to. We appear to be begging for a team to come in and offer £800k when we should be signing up May and selling him in a year or 18 months when an offer comes in which is too good for the club and/or May to refuse.

But nah you would never get an offer of 7 figures for May from a championship club when championship clubs are trading in players like Ross McCormack for £11m eh...... When Celtic are selling Watt ( 18 goals since 2010 ) for £1.2m .... Nah May is not worth 7 figures .... the price of a small apartment in London ffs !!

Edited by belfastsaintee

Rotherham don't have mega bucks at all, thats why they've been negotiating this deal for the past year, they'll be lucky if they're still in the Championship this time next season anyway

In any business you can't break the wage structure that is in place for one person never mind how much oyu want to keep that person, if you do all the other employees (players here) will form a queue at your door or get pi@@ed off and leave so I'd presume an offer has been made at the top of the wage structure that is in place  If it's not accepted then best route is to sell.

Rubbish. Of course you can break the wage structure, it's not even about keeping him. It's about getting fair market value for a player that scored more than any player for the club in his first full season at this level. It's common sense.

Hibs managed it with Brown, Thomson and all. There was long term deals signed on the basis of getting good fees for the club.

May seems a genuinely cracking lad. If Saints are offering May a sh1t deal i would rather he bangs in another 25+ goals and goes to a top English Championship team like a Wigan or Derby etc and Saints only get a development fee than we try and push him out the door to Rotherham ( who after Blackpool are the bookies favourites to get relegated ). that will be our own fault for not signing him up. why can they not see that giving him the best deal a Saints player has ever had will pay dividends when we a) get to keep him and b ) when the day comes in 6/12/18 etc months we sell him for far more $$$$ .

Mind you with SB 'no you cant sign anyone' strategy i am not sure who's gonna provide the balls thru to May for goals when injuries strike! I'd be wondering if this team will provide the 27 goals like last years.....Then the fact neither SM or TW are signed up tells me the problem is with Saints... After the cup final I heard TW was selling his house in Ballyclare to move over permanently and now 3 months later no contract is signed???

why not budget to go debt a LITTLE this season as its likely things will improve as Gers , Hibs , Hearts come back up over the next couple of seasons. Saints do not have to balance the books every season just over the course of time keep things balanced... +200k - 300k + 100k -150k +150k = balanced books

hey maybe they might even sack Cockwomble and find some league and cup sponsors !!! And who knows with May you might of got more cup runs or god forbid had you let him play on Thursday  the Europa league stages and 1m+ from that !!!

Edited by belfastsaintee