Time To Spend Steve

bankfoot saint

Kane isn't going to develop sitting on the bench and getting a 15 minute sub appearance here and there. He needs to go on loan to a full time team who he trains with every day. He will be a very good striker but having seen him at Dumbarton he still has a lot to learn. May benefited massively from his loan spells and Kane would if he had the opportunity. Unless Kane gets regular game time at Saints, but can't see it.

Exactly. Guys like Kane and Easton are at the age where they really should be out on loan playing competitive matches week in, week out, not sitting on the bench and getting 5-10 mins every 2nd week. Sadly our squad is so small we can't send them out on loan and this could significantly impact their development.

Just echoing these statements.. Totally agree.

As the transfer deadline approaches, chairmen and agents are playing cat and mouse.  I would be astonished if Brown/Wright are not sounding out at least a couple of bosmans, but neither side is showing their hand just now.  It is inconcievable that Saints will not bring in at least 2 players for the coming season. Further complicating matters, I understand May is stalling over a new contract, which suggests he/his agent is also in a game of cat and mouse with Saints and possible new employers, disappointing after his development over the last couple of seasons, but then again his stock is high and his agent is no doubt warning him this may be his high water mark...... either way something will give soon........and IMO the chairman has earned the right to a bit of slack here, he may well be unwillng to reveal targets and budgets to the agents he is dealing with.

Well maybe I'm exaggerating too far in the opposite direction.  I don't believe that SB is simply holding back the money to be a d*** and annoy the fans, he will be doing what he believes is the best decision for the club in the long term.  Given my lack of experience in running a football club, I'll stand back and trust his judgement.  Clearly this forum is populated by people with ample experience to know better though.

I'd love to see us sign a few players by the way, so don't accuse me of liking this situation, I just don't think I have the knowledge to challenge it.  To refer to SB as a 'wank' and other expressions used above is pathetic and embarrassing though.

you are making situations up.

nobody has said he is

"holding back money to be a d*** and annoy fans"

or

"accusing you of liking the situation"

your getting a bit upset because people don't agree with you.

and FYI, I feel many of us after watching years of football do have "ample experience" to know the team needs new players yesterday.

you are making situations up.

nobody has said he is

"holding back money to be a d*** and annoy fans"

or

"accusing you of liking the situation"

your getting a bit upset because people don't agree with you.

and FYI, I feel many of us after watching years of football do have "ample experience" to know the team needs new players yesterday.

Fair enough, I'm playing Devil's advocate to an extent.  In reality I probably feel there is a middle ground somewhere.

How quickly folks turn. Just two months ago practically every poster on here was eulogising about how the cup final win was a validation of the club's prudent approach, living within our means etc. Now a single defeat and people are yelling for us to splash the cash

As for those people totting up the income made from our European games, you're conveniently forgetting there's an expenditure column as well. How much do you reckon it costs to charter a plane? Book a suite of rooms? Insure the players? I seem to remember we made a loss on the European campaign a couple of years back. At best, we'll make a small profit.

I agree with this to an extent, but I don't think anyone is asking the board to significantly "splash the cash" or break the bank in any way. What people want is for the board to back a bloody good manager and allow him to sign one player, maybe two. We really need it. We're a football club first and foremost and allowing the football side of things to become neglected could potentially cost the club far more in the long run.

A few weeks back Steve Brown said we'd be able to sign players if people came forward with the money. Well, for the last two Thursdays that's exactly what people have done: we've seen two bumper crowds, with people paying what has been (in my opinion) an overly-expensive admission fee to back the team. We need to see some of that money re-invested in our threadbare squad.

Last night was bloody hard to take, but as far as I'm concerned Tommy Wright and that group of players are all heroes and I'm not going to criticize any of them. But it's going to be a long, hard season if the board genuinely think we can make it through the league campaign without adding to personnel. My biggest worry is that if this situation continues much longer then TW (potentially our biggest cash asset given how much money changes hands in compensation when successful managers are poached) could decide he's had enough and walk away.

Before I start I do,along with TW & a few others think we have to bring in a couple of new players.

SBs point of view may be that they have spent a lot of money on bringing in & bringing on young guys who don`t seem to be coming into first team for one reason or other. Brown & Caddis have proved that they are probably good enough for SPFL which is our main bread & butter & if we bring in a couple of old pro`s these guys along with Kane & others will warm the bench.

Agree with most of that Blue no secret I followed Hibs and what happened there is a warning not to neglect the team side of things.

Leave it too long and the team suffers (morale, performance etc) results suffer and it's a bit of a rut and it's hard to get out of.

Then again we don't want to take the **** yams Dundee route and put our club at risk.

So as much as it pains some we have to put our trust in those in charge and hope there is some kind of plan.

I agree with this to an extent, but I don't think anyone is asking the board to significantly "splash the cash" or break the bank in any way. What people want is for the board to back a bloody good manager and allow him to sign one player, maybe two. We really need it. We're a football club first and foremost and allowing the football side of things to become neglected could potentially cost the club far more in the long run.

A few weeks back Steve Brown said we'd be able to sign players if people came forward with the money. Well, for the last two Thursdays that's exactly what people have done: we've seen two bumper crowds, with people paying what has been (in my opinion) an overly-expensive admission fee to back the team. We need to see some of that money re-invested in our threadbare squad.

Last night was bloody hard to take, but as far as I'm concerned Tommy Wright and that group of players are all heroes and I'm not going to criticize any of them. But it's going to be a long, hard season if the board genuinely think we can make it through the league campaign without adding to personnel. My biggest worry is that if this situation continues much longer then TW (potentially our biggest cash asset given how much money changes hands in compensation when successful managers are poached) could decide he's had enough and walk away.

----

agree that losing Tommy seems to be the biggest risk we face at present.

how many free kids did you take off those 15,000 fans? we had the better of spartak (a team we knew feck all about) in the second half and i recon we will do them and over there :idea:

15000 was based on an average £16 which I think is a fair assumption given that of the 15000 at least half of them would be paying adults at £26! Happy to be challenged but 200-250k won't be far away! If the club are saying there isn't any money to strength then I would dispute that! There is for at least 1 player if not 2!

A lot of people have bought Into the wee club, let's not spend beyond out means etc and I don't disagree with that but at the end of the day - we are a football club, the fans want to be entertained and want a group if players the managers and players deserve! If there is no money then fair enough! Doesn't look that way though!

It's a worry when we look short of players before the season has even kicked off. We lost May for last night and we were pretty toothless up front. Chris Miller has picked up an injury and all we have is a 3/4 fit Gary MacDonald. If we do start the season with no additional personnel on board (which I personally think is unlikely) we are really going to suffer when suspensions and injuries inevitably kick in at some point of the season.

I reckon we could get 5th with some reinforcements, I think if the status quo remains we will end up in the bottom 6.

Making assumptions about the profit gained from european ties/the scottish cup win is almost as stupid as acting as though Saints deserve to win every football match we play. St Johnstone don't build towards European success, we build towards top flight survival.

Every year we come out with "survival is our aim "

And until last season i would agree with that, however given there is no Rangers, no Hibs no Hearts and we have had our best ever season why not try and be positive - if our aim this season is just survival then what's the point!!

Look at the other clubs, Kilie, st mirren, ICT, county, Motherwell, Hamilton, etc, are they going to get any better, no! For the first time we should be building on last season with top 6 realistic goal!

In regards to assumptions made about profit from the European games! The club said prior to those that there was no funds for new players! That's

Fine most fans accept that! I'm'Purely pointing out that the money from those two games wasn't factored into that statement! There is money there to strength and its not a case of strengthening for the sake of it - we need to!

Our target this year should be top 6 not "we are little at Johnstone lets just ensure we stay up" sick fed up of hearing that this year! Bar Celtic and Aberdeen, there's no reason why we can't look at finishing 3rd!

While it's always nice to get fresh faces in I am not so sure the last 3 competitive games is proof that we need to get the checkbook out.

We've built a team to compete in the SPFL and while I don't think this squad is going to last the whole season unchanged I can also understand Steve Brown's position.

I'm not sure why there are so many fans desperate for a signing now. I'm not saying we won't need some bodies come January as that seems to be the way of it but right now, before we've kicked a ball in the SPFL people are writing the team, especially the backup players, off.

In my view we have 2 new faces from last year in Brown and Caddis. We'll also get the benefit (barring injury) of a whole season with Lee Croft and O'Halloran and hopefully Muzz.

Speaking of Muzz and something to consider, how would people have reacted if Steve Brown had refused to offer Muzz any sort of contract so that Wright could spend his wages on a replacement?

I think there are some hitting the panic button a little early after seeing us compete against teams that are above our level. Once we've pumped Dundee a few times we'll forget all about this pre-season :-)

Forget about Europe, is our squad good enought to compete in the SPL? I believe we are thin on the ground; however Brown and Caddis will do a job, Kane I am not too sure about. If we bring in two players where are we weak TW thinks it is wide left and attacking midfield player. My opinion differs but it his that counts. I firmly believe he will not be given any money as the money will be used in January to offer 12-14 of the current squad new contracts. Then what do we do with our aging central deffence they cannot go on for ever and I am not impressed with our under 20s. The tell tale signs will be there for all to see after the Ross County and Hamilton games which will give us two weeks to sign players if the Board change their minds watch this space but do not hold your breath.  

Like most I'd rather see us signing one or two players. One points that was made during the summer though was that because we resigned most of the current squad on new deals early we ended up paying them over the summer - so 5-6 players getting paid an extra month or two is probably the equivalent of a 1yr contract for someone (ie one of the new signings TW wants).

One thing we must do is get TW and Stevie signed up - especially after last night, the club and fans needs a PR boost that this might bring.

steve brown doesn't spend money, he is only interested in making money, at least his dad spent wisely. iv been following saints home & away for 50 years through thick and thin and this is the worst its been, every other club is getting players in except us and its only ogoing to end in relgation  if we don't improve on the squad as we cant depend on pushing too many youngsters in at once