Saints Book Now On Sale

sleepless

PhD in American literature, specifically Cormac McCarthy. No use to man nor beast but it kept me quiet for five years...

Good (Child of) God man, what is our educational system coming to if this is the standard of grammar used by a self-styled 'Doctor of Literature'? You should have said either "No use to man or beast" or "Use to neither man nor beast". :wink: 

Great book, by the way! For anyone swithering over buying - it's worth every penny. 

Good (Child of) God man, what is our educational system coming to if this is the standard of grammar used by a self-styled 'Doctor of Literature'? You should have said either "No use to man or beast" or "Use to neither man nor beast". :wink:

Great book, by the way! For anyone swithering over buying - it's worth every penny.

Bang to rights... My only excuse (and it's a crap one) is that McCarthy himself is notoriously cavalier about matters grammatical. Still, when you're writing about necrophilia who needs grammar?

Glad you like the book

Cheers Sleepless, another fact became clear yesterday, my daughter's boyfriend's Dad is pictured in the Seventies team on page 29.

He is between Buck McGarry and Gordon Whitelaw.

Your book has" reached the parts others can't reach".

Well done on your achievement and thanks once again for signing my copy of the book. :wink:

Still speak to the Stranraer  Gorilla  now and then and can get my hands on some braw photies  of that day.

Also can tell ye some stories from the 80's

The Queen of The South  Crash Hat

Aberdeen Parka

Working with Willie Brown and Charie Adam

The Muirton Stand/Pitch Paint incidents

Eggs

Airdrie Skipping  Rope

And a few more

Still speak to the Stranraer  Gorilla  now and then and can get my hands on some braw photies  of that day.

Also can tell ye some stories from the 80's

The Queen of The South  Crash Hat

Aberdeen Parka

Working with Willie Brown and Charie Adam

The Muirton Stand/Pitch Paint incidents

Eggs

Airdrie Skipping  Rope

And a few more

Can you no write yer ain book -ya lazy bugga

If my memory serves me correctly I think Saints can claim the "unofficial record " for football at Meadowbank Stadium. When we played there in the 1983 League Cup there was a cat show or something similar on in the function suites located in the main stand and the normal turnstiles were not available for use that night. Because there was quite a large Saints support that arrived relatively late they opened the exit gates and let us in for free. (I know for a fact that I did not pay to get in that night) . As I have previously said in another thread some people on this forum have obviously not experienced the low points of the 80's going by the pish they are spouting just now.

Sorry for going slightly off thread but mention of Meadowbank just about gave me a heart attack.......... I am thoroughly looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of this book. (hopefully on Saturday from Campus)

Re the 1980s, what I'm thinking is this:

It would be good (if mentally painful) to chronicle the day-to-day Saints supporting life over the years 83/4 and 84/5. I know there were some hardcore fans who stuck with the club through those years. And despite the terrible stuff on the pitch, those were still fun days in many ways. As a historical record, I think it would be fascinating. There is also a lot of interest in the 80s period at the moment, probably because most of the people who were there are now in their early/mid fifties and are suffering various forms of midlife crisis and thinking back nostalgically to their youth.

Alongside that, it would be ideal to do the players' recollections of the same period. I know some of those guys are still knocking about and may be interested.

Any views? What I'm thinking is something a bit more detailed than the stuff in One Final Hurdle, but different from Bristling with Possibilities, because it will be as much about the off-field activity than on.

It would be good (if mentally painful) to chronicle the day-to-day Saints supporting life over the years 83/4 and 84/5. I know there were some hardcore fans who stuck with the club through those years. And despite the terrible stuff on the pitch, those were still fun days in many ways. As a historical record, I think it would be fascinating. There is also a lot of interest in the 80s period at the moment, probably because most of the people who were there are now in their early/mid fifties and are suffering various forms of midlife crisis and thinking back nostalgically to their youth.

Alongside that, it would be ideal to do the players' recollections of the same period. I know some of those guys are still knocking about and may be interested.

Any views? What I'm thinking is something a bit more detailed than the stuff in One Final Hurdle, but different from Bristling with Possibilities, because it will be as much about the off-field activity than on.

Sounds like a great idea, although 85/86 and 86/87 were a whole lot more horrific... and more of a laugh looking back :)

real horror show,living from game to game thinking this could be the last time stjohnstone play ever.yeah go for it.

fans that weren't around back then would'nt believe it.for us that were there it could be either theraputic or suicidal to relive again.i blame my grey hair on those days.