2014-15 Season Aspirations

Dave H

Thinking I've not heard from the club (manager / players / board) what we are setting out as an aspiration. What goals should be set?

I would think finishing 5th in spl and win the league cup as the aspiration and a good follow on from a 6th position and Scottish Cup win in season 2013-14.

I think this is a fair ask.

Edited by Dave H

We're currently enjoying the best spell in our clubs history, top 6 and europe three years in a row and current Scottish Cup holders. It will be hard to maintain this success this year but top 6 finish and a good run in the cups again would be my target. Qualification for europe again would be the icing on the cake. 

We should really be comfortably top five, obviously dependent on how we replace Stevie May, but we've got the spine of a side to finish top five.

Celtic

Aberdeen

Dundee United

Motherwell

Saints

Dross

The cups will take care of themselves but with a bit of luck there's no reason we can't be in the latter stages of at least one.

Thinking I've not heard from the club (manager / players / board) what we are setting out as an aspiration. What goals should be set?

I would think finishing 5th in spl and win the league cup as the aspiration and a good follow on from a 6th position and Scottish Cup win in season 2013-14.

I think this is a fair ask.

I'm sure I remember hearing Steve Brown say last year that we budget to finish 10th, so assuming that it's the status quo this year, I guess that anything from 10th up would be considered a success from the board's point of view.

Realistically though, I think that we should be looking for a top 6 finish and a good performance in the cups. Celtic and Aberdeen are all but guaranteed the top two spots, Motherwell will probably slot in 3rd, and then there's not really that much separating Saints and Dundee Utd - especially with both of us having lost players this summer. Barring a 'surprise package' having a great season (eg Inverness a couple of years ago, or even us to an extent when we finished 3rd) then I would hope we could comfortably maintain our top 6 status.

If we can put up a healthy fight to defend the Scottish Cup then that would be great. I hate seeing teams win a cup and then get knocked out at the first hurdle the next year. It always makes for a good story when you have a team chasing to win the trophy for the second successive season. However, it took us long enough to win one cup, so let's not get carried away and think that we'll start doing it every year.

you can read ticket office Donald's views of the current season here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28647489

along with other teams fans views. One even predicts us for top 3!

Well done Donald, I think you managed to mention every team in the league except Motherwell!!  :-)

Incidentally, if you go to the above page from here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/scottish/

the picture accompanying the link features our very own trumpet norwichsaint   :-)

Top 3

Retain Scottish Cup

My Euromillions ticket to come up tonight and be the only winner.

Phone Stevie Brown and make an offer to invest in the club.

Sign Tommy Wright on a 5 year rolling contract.

Tell Stevie May he is no going anywhere and to get his hair cut so that he can see the contract being offered keeps him a Saintee for life.

and finally...............................

Send a corporate jet in Saints Colours to New York to collect BBD so that he can come to McDiarmid and be ignored by me aka as per his gripe with Steve Brown.

:laugh:

Has to be top 6 although there is absolutely no chance the club will come out with a postive statement! It will be a - "no1 priority for a club like us will always be to ensure we stay up"

Now whilst I didn't disagree with that sentiment in previous seasons, im not accepting it this year! We should be looking to use last seasons success to set the bar about higher and actually believe that we can finish top 6 again!

There is no Rangers Hearts or Hibs! Celtic and Aberdeen will finish 1st and second that's leaves 4 remaining places! I'd be disappointed if we weren't in one of those places come the split!

Come saints, let's have a bit of ambition this year, at least with our season target! I don't think there is going to be too much between the teaming 10 teams but if we keep out core 13 / 14 players fit, it's a better core than a lot of other clubs!

Come on ther are European places up for grabs again and £80k for every league place!

Be postive Saints

Top 3

Retain Scottish Cup

My Euromillions ticket to come up tonight and be the only winner.

Phone Stevie Brown and make an offer to invest in the club.

Sign Tommy Wright on a 5 year rolling contract.

Tell Stevie May he is no going anywhere and to get his hair cut so that he can see the contract being offered keeps him a Saintee for life.

and finally...............................

Send a corporate jet in Saints Colours to New York to collect BBD so that he can come to McDiarmid and be ignored by me aka as per his gripe with Steve Brown.

:laugh:

Please win the Euro Millions....

I will sit alone on the new electronic score board