Saints Development League Thread

lethamsaintee

Saints lost 1-0. Not sure how exactly as we had the better chances. There goal was a fumble by keeper Hurst. Muzz played 90 minutes. Was okay. Caddis also played 90 minutes but wasnae great.

Cheers for the update ---Better Blog thanthe ones in  the national newspapers !!

Ghostie's grammar is on a par with mine too! There/Their 

Saints lost 1-0. Not sure how exactly as we had the better chances. There goal was a fumble by keeper Hurst. Muzz played 90 minutes. Was okay. Caddis also played 90 minutes but wasnae great.

ye forgot about the ginger and your close encounter with his dad !

Can anybody tell me when this team last won a game? I read with interest in my letter with my season ticket packet that money is being diverted into this team but for as long as I remember, they seem to lose every week for about the last year at least. Why are they not very good with this extra money?

Tuesday, 02 September 2014 - Under 20 - SPFL Development League
       Partick Thistle (4) v Saints (3)
Tuesday, 19 August 2014 - Under 20 - SPFL Development League
       Saints (2) v Ross County (2)
Monday, 11 August 2014 - Under 20 - SPFL Development League
       Dundee (at Arbroath) (1) v Saints (1)
Tuesday, 15 April 2014 - Under 20 - SPFL Under 20 League
       Motherwell (3) v Saints (2)
Tuesday, 18 March 2014 - Under 20 - SPFL Under 20 League
       Saints (1) v Hibernian (3)
Tuesday, 04 March 2014 - Under 20 - SPFL Under 20 League
       Saints (0) v Dunfermline Athletic (3)
Sunday, 02 March 2014 - Under 20 - SFA Youth Cup Quarter-final
       Saints (0) v St Mirren (1)
Tuesday, 28 January 2014 - Under 20 - SPFL Under 20 League
       Saints (0) v Celtic (1)
Tuesday, 17 December 2013 - Under 20 - SPFL Under 20 League
       Saints (3) v Dundee United (1)
Edited by garydavidson

Saints appear to be using the development league as an under 20s league where as other teams are using the teams as a reserve side and using the over age players rule to their advantage.

It would have been easy for Saints to play Banks, Wright and co who are all out of the first team at the moment but that would not have helped the development of the under 20 players.

As Lark says it is about development not winning matches.

Saints appear to be using the development league as an under 20s league where as other teams are using the teams as a reserve side and using the over age players rule to their advantage.

It would have been easy for Saints to play Banks, Wright and co who are all out of the first team at the moment but that would not have helped the development of the under 20 players.

Exactly the point, Saints have an extremely young team with very few over age /first team players ever played. On the whole they always put in a good performance and as the results show whilst maybe not always winning they are extremely competitive and indeed put Celtic out the Scottish Cup last year in a game where they completely outplayed their opponents.

The post alluding to development being a waste of money because they don't win many games is both naive and simplistic. Saints now have an excellent set up at youth level throughout the ages, why not try encouraging them rather than criticising. These players are the future not only at Saints but Scottish Football at all levels. The players dedicate long hours for small wages in the hope of becoming successful professionals.

Give them some support.

I believe the list above is incomplete so I have looked on the league website and these are the results from this year. Not very good at all I think everybody will agree.

Inverness L 0-3
Celtic L 0-1
Aberdeen W 3-1
Partick D 2-2
Kilmarnock D 2-2
Hamilton L 0-3
Dunfermline L 0-3
Ross County L 1-2
Hibs L 1-3
St Mirren L 0-3
Rangers D 2-2
Motherwell L 2-3
Hearts W 2-0
Motherwell D 3-3
Dundee D 1-1
Ross County D 2-2
Partick L 3-4
Falkirk L 0-1

So they have only won 2 games. If these players can't win games in youth teams how can they win games in the first team?

Abbots I am struggling to see what sort of point you are trying to make. You are using 2 different seasons.

Your list of scores go back over a period when Saints had placed senior under 20 players out on loan which resulted in them bringing in younger lads some of whom were 17  as has been said previously a lot of these other teams use the over age rule to their advantage an play senior players on the way back to fitness in them. Saints do that occasionally as with Muzz.

The idea is to develop players and last season we finished mid table.

would playing alongside a few experienced players not improve their development?

541ntees it is possible that playing with some older more experienced players would help, but it would only help the players playing, What about the 4 lads that are not getting the opportunity because of these older players, who in my view will be getting nothing except match fitness will be gaining nothing from the experience.

541ntees it is possible that playing with some older more experienced players would help, but it would only help the players playing, What about the 4 lads that are not getting the opportunity because of these older players, who in my view will be getting nothing except match fitness will be gaining nothing from the experience.

But is the increased development of 7 players (playing with experienced players) not a better option than "under developing" 11 players?  I do think it's worth remembering that the majority of SPFL clubs very rarely bring through any U20 players, never mind 7 or 11.

Bring back a proper reserve league along with U18 or 19s that is the best way to develop young players.

The best of the young players are then playing regularly with and against fringe first team players and

those coming back from injury. It is a better test for them and also saves clubs having to arrange closed

door friendlies all the time. 

Bring back a proper reserve league along with U18 or 19s that is the best way to develop young players.

The best of the young players are then playing regularly with and against fringe first team players and

those coming back from injury. It is a better test for them and also saves clubs having to arrange closed

door friendlies all the time. 

Is that not what the development league does but with slightly more of focus on youngsters?