Saints Development League Thread

lethamsaintee

winning games breeds winners and a winning mentality. Losers just accept it and go to the next game expecting the same thing. If a team with a built in winning mentality lose a game it hurts like Fcuk and they make damn sure it doesn't happen again. Can't be doing with this its the taking part that counts nonsense it breeds a soft mentality

Not relistic with multiple changes to personel every game though is it?I like to see winners as much as anyone but dont see how that can be achieved with the development team

saintee4life I don't think anyone is saying that it does not matter about winning. They changed the league last year form a under 20 league to a Development league to allow teams to play up to 4 over age players plus I believe an overage goalie.

Saints are very much using this league to see how the young players are progressing and as such are playing some kids that are able to play at this level for 3 seasons. Some other teams are playing the max of overage players in the squads.

The coaches will be able to see if the players are developing as individuals and as a team. From what folk are saying that have watched them they are playing some good stuff but are not getting results.

I think some are getting carried away with the poor results in the same way as they would if we were sitting top of the league, no doubt there would be calls for some players to be in the first team squad if that was the case.

Cagey the whole of Scottish football need to adopt that approach. There are kids as young as 9 sitting with pro clubs who should in reality be nowhere near a pro club. Sadly due to other clubs taking the best and overloading their club with players the other clubs are in the nicest sense of the word dumbing down the squads. Don't think Scottish football has been the same since we started the pro youth set up in late 90s.

How do you gauge a good youth setup?

If you get 5 players into the first team and get beat every week

or

you win every game of the season and get 1 player into the first team?

I know as a youth coach its option 1 for me every time i'm asked as I am not there to win matches I am there to develop "individual players" not the team as a whole (which would be great)

saintee4life I don't think anyone is saying that it does not matter about winning. They changed the league last year form a under 20 league to a Development league to allow teams to play up to 4 over age players plus I believe an overage goalie.

Saints are very much using this league to see how the young players are progressing and as such are playing some kids that are able to play at this level for 3 seasons. Some other teams are playing the max of overage players in the squads.

The coaches will be able to see if the players are developing as individuals and as a team. From what folk are saying that have watched them they are playing some good stuff but are not getting results.

I think some are getting carried away with the poor results in the same way as they would if we were sitting top of the league, no doubt there would be calls for some players to be in the first team squad if that was the case.

Cagey the whole of Scottish football need to adopt that approach. There are kids as young as 9 sitting with pro clubs who should in reality be nowhere near a pro club. Sadly due to other clubs taking the best and overloading their club with players the other clubs are in the nicest sense of the word dumbing down the squads. Don't think Scottish football has been the same since we started the pro youth set up in late 90s.

What you say there mainstays is on the whole spot on. The majority of boys these days not just at saints are nowhere near goodenough to be anywhere near a senior club and I very much believe they should be allowed to develop at their boys club teams and monitored regularly. I watched one group not sure the age, training at sevenacres a couple of Thursdays ago and a Letham team training on the next pitch and a stranger would've struggled to identify which was which

Think players like Easton and Craig Thomson could benefit from going out on loan and maybe Scott Wilson as well. This is called a developing league but can only do so much for players. They need to play first team as soon as they are ready. No point wasting them in these types of games. Also very impressed with the younger players like Rhys Evans and Brodie Gray both of which I think are about 17 so have a couple more years of developing at this level. 

Was it Wales who fielded a 15yr old player last night?...why do we believe that all our younger players have to go out on loan in order to gain experience? Although it worked for Stevie May, it may not be the case for our other promising players, perhaps Dylan Easton or Kane and a few others should have been given 1st team game time with Saints, maybe some of them will progress quicker playing at the higher level and given full matches in order to sharpen their skills. Just because it worked out well for May...some of our younger players may benefit from playing with more experienced team mates!

If thats the philosophy WHY do other teams win ?

We seem to be focusing on using the development league to play, in the majority, our youngsters. Some of the other teams have a 50/50 split between youngsters and first team squad members.

Saints seemingly drew 2-2 with Dundee is a closed doors game earlier in the week. Both teams played pretty much first team in first half, but Saints then played a lot of youngsters in the second, whereas Dundee kept their strongest team on.

Faddy scored