Uefa Sanction

50yrs a Saint

Attend protests, fly flags, display banners and organise boycotts.

However do the west have the courage to implement effective measures? A true boycott would involve almost all everyday items, many of which originated in Israel.

Mobile technology, text messaging, computer chips, dual flush toilets, irrigation and crop management systems used the world over, flash drives, security entry systems, MRI scanners and a plethora of other medical devices, investigative techniques and treatments. The list is enormous.

Ignorance, selfishness and cowardice prevent any effective, real action being taken, whether at individual or national level.

I'm not on any side. I deem it foolish to be so. I have dear friends over there on either side of the divide. Clearly both sides are in the wrong. We will not solve it over here. This is no Ireland or South Africa.

The conflict aside, Israel is alone in the Middle East in its human rights record. Try getting a woman elected or building a church in an Arab country! Anti-government bias would not lead to the result it would in neighbouring states.

I am not defending Israel not engaging in a polemic regarding any Arabs. I do think we are shallow and, at times, foolish in the extreme. P&KC and Stirling council boycotts. Posters in Dundee Uni. I have seen the suffering and spent time in the West Bank and been where the tourists don't get to go.

The worst attitude I have seen came from our friends in the US.

This is far more complex than olives, wine and oranges. It especially, for me, has no place at football, and St Johnstone in particular. This isn't the place for this, so I won't post anything else. Please, let's leave it out of St Johnstone.

I'm angry at Uefa more than the individual. How can this fine be justifiable? Showing your support for Palestine at a football match is absolutely pointless as it does nothing to help those poor individuals being bombarded and having their homes and life's destroyed on a daily basis, but I don't understand why it warrants punishment? Maybe if we were playing an Israeli team I could see the issue, but this is genuinely ridiculous.

I'm angry at Uefa more than the individual. How can this fine be justifiable? Showing your support for Palestine at a football match is absolutely pointless as it does nothing to help those poor individuals being bombarded and having their homes and life's destroyed on a daily basis, but I don't understand why it warrants punishment? Maybe if we were playing an Israeli team I could see the issue, but this is genuinely ridiculous.

Agreed.

It was a stupid decision to bring a Palestine flag to the match in the first place, although the fine seems a bit OTT. It isn't really the same as bringing a Scotland/Union Jack flag in order to make a political statement. The Israel/Palestine situation is an incredibly serious one which really has no business being brought up in this country at a football match. Nonetheless, a slap on the wrist and a warning of a potential fine on the next occasion would have sufficed.

Edited by The Real Saints

The Merits of whether a Palestine flag at McDiarmid is idiotic or otherwise shouldn't matter. Although personally can't see the point.

Utterly appalling and abhorrent decision by UEFA yet again.

The lad who brought the flag should not he pilloried at all - not any different from a France flag or a Poland flag, whether we like it or not.

If the flag had a message like 'Israel, go **** Yourself' then I could maybe sympathise with the view that he should be banned.

I hope Saints appeal it, state that all countries and their flags are welcome at McDiarmid and stick one right up the arseholes that continue to ruin our game.

It was a stupid decision to bring a Palestine flag to the match in the first place, although the fine seems a bit OTT. It isn't really the same as bringing a Scotland/Union Jack flag in order to make a political statement. The Israel/Palestine situation is an incredibly serious one which really has no business being brought up in this country at a football match. Nonetheless, a slap on the wrist and a warning of a potential fine on the next occasion would have sufficed.

Take it you are owning up to it then.

Surely the stewards and the police should have taken action as soon as the flag became aware to them and removed it and the person who took it in because they are paid to keep order by the club.

They should be held responsible and pay the fine in my opinion.

Did the club, police or stewards know about this 'rule' though? Is it even a rule?

Whilst the penalty is draconian  - I stand by what I said earlier. Saints Flags for Saints games. Do you really want to go down the Green Brigade "Blod" soaked poppies route and jump on whatever bandwagon will get you some attention. Although it doesn't feel it at times McDiarmid is a place of entertainment not a political arena. We have free speech in this country and should you wish to air your views get yourself a couple of Irn Bru crates and do a Jim Murphy round Scotland. There are only two clubs politicising the game - lets not go down that route.