The Scotland Qualifiers Thread!

rik2304

In a way it's a good thing to get the hardest game in the group is our first game because whatever happens we can all still believe there's a chance of qualifying. If you get these games nearer the end it can knock everything for six and evenual failure. None of the other teams should be feared at all and by that I mean they are good (except Gibralter) but we should believe they are beatable game by game. It's been a good run under Strachan, the Croatia result being the best one for me anyway.

I still think it's hard though because there were always two automatic qualifying places, it's just there's a last chance play-off game. I remember only winning one play-off situation and that was when we beat Australia in the World Cup qualifiers in 1986. I may be wrong.

Obviously the best two teams reached this year's World Cup Final and even though Argentina got revenge later (4-2) Germany are still a strong impressive team and the best consistent and entertaining team at the World Cup. Add to that the game is being played in the most atmospheric of all the German stadiums then this this should be entertaining. 

----------------------------

West Germany were the frst international team I seen playing Scotland. It was a 1-1 draw at Hampden with over 100,000 in April 1969 when I was 14, the 'football specials' were all running late returning north and got in the house at 3:15 am and then knackered at school the next day we could say we seen -

SCOTLAND -

Goalkeeper Tommy Lawrence
Defender Ron McKinnon
Defender John Greig
Defender Tommy Gemmell
Full back Eddie McCreadie
Midfielder Billy Bremner (captain)
Midfielder Jimmy Johnstone
Midfielder Bobby Murdoch
Forward Denis Law
Forward Alan Gilzean

WEST GERMANY -
Goalkeeper Horst Wolter
Defender Willi Schulz (captain)
Defender Berti Vogts
Defender Bernd Patzke
Midfielder Wolfgang Overath
Forward Gerd Muller
Forward Sigi Held

They had played against a strange team in the World Cup Final of 1966, a year after we played them they reached the Semi Finals of 1970 World Cup  in Mexico and then they won the World Cp in 1974. Today they have 30 million more people to choose from since their Eastern peoples broke a wall down thanks to the help of their Western peoples. 

Russel Martin is a doubt an will be a massive loss for us if he doesn't play as him and Hanley have struck up a good partnership. the loss of robertson is huge too as id have played mulgrew in a holding mf role but he'll need to drop to lb unless whittaker plays there.

Marshall

Hutton Martin/Greer Hanley Mulgrew

Fletcher McArthur

Bannan         Morrison            Anya

Naismith  

In a way it's a good thing to get the hardest game in the group is our first game because whatever happens we can all still believe there's a chance of qualifying. If you get these games nearer the end it can knock everything for six and evenual failure. None of the other teams should be feared at all and by that I mean they are good (except Gibralter) but we should believe they are beatable game by game. It's been a good run under Strachan, the Croatia result being the best one for me anyway.

I still think it's hard though because there were always two automatic qualifying places, it's just there's a last chance play-off game. I remember only winning one play-off situation and that was when we beat Australia in the World Cup qualifiers in 1986. I may be wrong.

Obviously the best two teams reached this year's World Cup Final and even though Argentina got revenge later (4-2) Germany are still a strong impressive team and the best consistent and entertaining team at the World Cup. Add to that the game is being played in the most atmospheric of all the German stadiums then this this should be entertaining. 

----------------------------

West Germany were the frst international team I seen playing Scotland. It was a 1-1 draw at Hampden with over 100,000 in April 1969 when I was 14, the 'football specials' were all running late returning north and got in the house at 3:15 am and then knackered at school the next day we could say we seen -

SCOTLAND -

Goalkeeper Tommy Lawrence
Defender Ron McKinnon
Defender John Greig
Defender Tommy Gemmell
Full back Eddie McCreadie
Midfielder Billy Bremner (captain)
Midfielder Jimmy Johnstone
Midfielder Bobby Murdoch
Forward Denis Law
Forward Alan Gilzean

WEST GERMANY -
Goalkeeper Horst Wolter
Defender Willi Schulz (captain)
Defender Berti Vogts
Defender Bernd Patzke
Midfielder Wolfgang Overath
Forward Gerd Muller
Forward Sigi Held

They had played against a strange team in the World Cup Final of 1966, a year after we played them they reached the Semi Finals of 1970 World Cup  in Mexico and then they won the World Cp in 1974. Today they have 30 million more people to choose from since their Eastern peoples broke a wall down thanks to the help of their Western peoples. 

Was on that train as well, wouldnt happen theses days. I was serving my Apprenticeship with Christies 5 am start straight to work it was a long 8 hours.

Coming into the game over the week I thought we'll do well to keep the score down against the world champions and hoped we'd at least play with a bit of passion. The game started and I was kicking every ball - away from our goal thinking this could be a big score. Then Scotland slowly started to get into the game and it became very competitive. We got better in the second half and in the end WE WERE ROBBED AGAINST THE WORLD CHAMPIONS ON THEIR OWN SOIL!

Only joking but we played really well and got so close to a result instead of the big defeat which was a possibility in theory. There were a lot of positive things in the second half but although it's just a small thing I thought it was great to see the Scotland managent team and squad furious at not getting another 30 seconds against the World Champions. Excellent and a good sign for future games!

I don't think Poland, Ireland and Georgia will get a result there so it's relly between them and us in a mini group unless we can take something from Germany at home.

Was on that train as well, wouldnt happen theses days. I was serving my Apprenticeship with Christies 5 am start straight to work it was a long 8 hours.

That would be a good time for your work. :)

On the way down they forced us into the second 'football special' because we were wanting to hold back for the 3rd one and the railway staff said "They're well gone ..... you're just young lads GET ON!". Fascist! Seemingly the next train was crammed full and he didn't want us to miss out.  There was no security on trains in these days, I remember we had stopped and the engine was still chugging away and someone said "Where are we?" ......... "Glasgow" .......  "Where abouts in Glasgow?" ........  and guys just got off the train ..........  then flashing lights and uniforms and sirens all came into action. Of course that meant everything was being held up behind us including trains coming in from Edinburgh and Fife towards Queen Street. We god directed to a side track  to be checked out ..... maybe our immigrant status. Then I heard  someone said "Where are we?". Football Specials were your entry to manhood.

I remember before the start of the game Bill Tennant (very nice man and media man) and his minders tried to kick us out our seats in the North Stand and then they realised we were in the right seats. Just before the game his minders came along with sausage rolls, pies, chilled Coke and other stuff. You remember these things - bit of class. Then we had to suffer watchingb Gert Muller, Denis Law, Jimmy Johnstone, Alan Gilzean (Perthshire), Franz Beckenbaur, Bertrand Vogts (the young version of the man who got fine young Dundee man Mr. Dailly in trouble) etc. Cracking goal by Lisbon Lion - Bobby Murdoch. 

Then the long journey home.

It was really encouraging to see us making a game of it in the later stages of the second half with two forwards on the pitch.

You're right two forwards or one with one just off him is much more threatening especially since it gives more options from changing defence to attack. It's better than o ur famous 4-6-0 anyway.

the disappointing thing was McGeady scoring in the last minute to win 2-1. and poland scoring 7. the goals scored against gibraltar could be vital and tho we're playing well i dont see us scoring a barrel load against a poor side

Just need to get more points than them instead then :) Gibraltar are only going to improve as the games go on as well.