James Mcfadden Anyone?

saintee4life

Don't think there's any disputing his quality (I think he might work well in the role McLean had) & it's clear we're lacking creativity, which he'll supply. My own cynicism: he'll be expensive and it does undermine the value of the strategic, youth-friendly approach we were supposed to be following only four months ago.

On the face of it you are right, but it takes time to develop such a strategy. In the meantime we need someone creative and who can score goals.

At the end of the day we're struggling for goals and creativity. We need to sign someone. The fact that this someone happens to be a Scotland internationalist with undoubted quality and a good few years on his side is a total bonus. It's the first signing Saints have made in years that I'd have any form of genuine excitement about.

Don't think there's any disputing his quality (I think he might work well in the role McLean had) & it's clear we're lacking creativity, which he'll supply. My own cynicism: he'll be expensive and it does undermine the value of the strategic, youth-friendly approach we were supposed to be following only four months ago.

I agree, but I think the key to what your saying there is 'strategy' - ie it's a long term vision. We've seen Brown and Caddis appear fairly regularly in the first team squads this season and we've got Kane and Clark out on loan, with Easton there or thereabouts also. These guys, other than Brown and Caddis, aren't quite there yet so we need to bring in players until they are ready.

I think that was Kyle's words, not Spency's!! :laugh:

If someone had told me 2 years ago that McFadden would be playing for us by 2014, I'd have been delighted!

Spency probably agrees with me tbh. We're kindred spirits, only I've got better hair.

He's capable of the sublime and equally the ridiculous. I can't wait to see him in a Saints shirt to be honest.

There is a nagging doubt that it might not work out but I'd definitely prefer us to gamble on this and assume that at a worst case scenario he'll add a few goals and assists here and there and of course provide alternatives in different areas in the middle and up front.

The 7th top international goalscorer in Scotland's history, playing in one of the poorest eras for the national team. Agree he will be hot and cold, players like that always seem to unless you're Lionel messi or Cristiano ronaldo, but a bit of flair and unpredictability in our well organised, hard working team will be a major asset.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T84tVYvrajw

So rumour on Twitter he's getting £45k between now and the end of the season. That equates to only about 2,000 extra punters through the door in that period to pay his wages. I'd say that's pretty sound business logic if that figure is even remotely true.

So rumour on Twitter he's getting £45k between now and the end of the season. That equates to only about 2,000 extra punters through the door in that period to pay his wages. I'd say that's pretty sound business logic if that figure is even remotely true.

That's the agent Scotland twitter account I think?

He doesn't have a clue either way - he said that Beattie was on £2500 a week with us. Nonsense.

That's the agent Scotland twitter account I think?

He doesn't have a clue either way - he said that Beattie was on £2500 a week with us. Nonsense.

Yeah, it is. Most likely rubbish but I'd have thought he'd be on more than 45k between now and the end of the season to be honest.

The 7th top international goalscorer in Scotland's history, playing in one of the poorest eras for the national team. Agree he will be hot and cold, players like that always seem to unless you're Lionel messi or Cristiano ronaldo, but a bit of flair and unpredictability in our well organised, hard working team will be a major asset.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T84tVYvrajw

Interesting watch!

hes obviously best known for the France goal...

But a lot of goals in there that I remember after seeing again :)

Edited by PerthSeany