Relegation Battle

byebyedundee

In 10/11 we were on 12 points after 8 games, winning our 8th game to make that total.

In 11/12 we were on 11 points after 8 games, winning our 8th game against a woeful Dundee side to make that total.

In 12/13 we were on 11 points after 8 games.

And last season we were on 9 points after 8 games, exactly the same as this season.

At our best we were three points ahead of where we are now. Last season we were in an identical position. This despite the fact we're absolutely shafted by injuries/other absences just now - with Maclean, Graham, Brown, Millar and Scobbie out for today's game.

Not even close to panic button time yet.

Shame I can only give this one like.

Also, how many games did Lomas lose in a row before the Celtic win?

We lost three and drew two at the start of that season, before beating Celtic on September 15 to record our first win of the term.

People need to bear in mind we're still the same team that was brilliant against Luzern, brilliant against Celtic until we were reduced to 10 men, who beat a good Aberdeen team and won trick away matches at County and Motherwell.

I don't think anyone's going to suggest we're setting the heather alight just now. Far from it. I don't agree with the lack of investment in the squad - but equally, we've been massively unfortunate with injuries already this season. As I said above - Maclean, Scobbie, Millar, Brown - all would probably be in most of our best XI's - all were out today. We then had Graham ruled out due to the terms of his loan. Murray Davidson played his first league match in months today - four days after playing his return match on the plastic at Kilmarnock. He can't possibly have been 100% fit.

I hope we can bring in a decent backup striker ASAP - that's essential IMO - but I'm not getting myself hyped up about being down the bottom of the league quite yet.

We lost three and drew two at the start of that season, before beating Celtic on September 15 to record our first win of the term.

People need to bear in mind we're still the same team that was brilliant against Luzern, brilliant against Celtic until we were reduced to 10 men, who beat a good Aberdeen team and won trick away matches at County and Motherwell.

I don't think anyone's going to suggest we're setting the heather alight just now. Far from it. I don't agree with the lack of investment in the squad - but equally, we've been massively unfortunate with injuries already this season. As I said above - Maclean, Scobbie, Millar, Brown - all would probably be in most of our best XI's - all were out today. We then had Graham ruled out due to the terms of his loan. Murray Davidson played his first league match in months today - four days after playing his return match on the plastic at Kilmarnock. He can't possibly have been 100% fit.

I hope we can bring in a decent backup striker ASAP - that's essential IMO - but I'm not getting myself hyped up about being down the bottom of the league quite yet.

And that start was after the horrendous end to the previous season iirc.

As a Saints fan losing 3 on the bounce should never be panic stations!

We've got an eminently winnable game at home next week. I'd be hoping that Millar isn't out for too long - perhaps available for the St Mirren game? Any word on Brown? Murray Davidson will hopefully be fresher and fitter. Will we have a new striker in? Graham will obviously be back which can only be a good thing.

Important match for us, that's for sure.

We created a few chances today,especially when we went 4-4-2,Lappin had 3 decent openings,albeit 2 on his weaker foot,but i'm confident if TW keeps faith in a 4-4-2 or equivalent with plenty width and pace,we'll be perfectly ok. Last week was the same, after we were more positive,we were the better team,by a mile,unfortunately,it took us 75 minutes to be more positive

Was at the game at Inverness & was at Dundee today.

Disappointing results, but today especially I thought there was plenty of effort from us. Last week the last 15 mins we were the better team.

Football is a confidence game, & I think we lack a bit.

Saints always play better when they play a settled team, and for reasons well known we aren't being able to do that.

I am sure once things settle we will get better.

COYS⚽️

Felt a bit sorry for him today, not a lot of support from him, he looked as fresh at the end as he did at the start despite a power of running.

Sadly we made DU look average today⚽️

I don't think he played badly overall though. Linked up when he could. Worked hard. He also did a lot better with the high balls he was given than I thought he would.

We created a few chances today,especially when we went 4-4-2,Lappin had 3 decent openings,albeit 2 on his weaker foot,but i'm confident if TW keeps faith in a 4-4-2 or equivalent with plenty width and pace,we'll be perfectly ok. Last week was the same, after we were more positive,we were the better team,by a mile,unfortunately,it took us 75 minutes to be more positive

4-4-2 does not seem to be an option at the moment.

Quite a few people on here reckon we need a striker to replace the injured MacLean.

With Paddy Cregg, Hasselbaink and May gone and Kane out on loan, I also think we need to look at the team defence!

Although we have been hit by recent injuries to MacLean, Scobbie, Brown and today Millar.....this is in no way unusual, as we suffered a similar situation last season, but had the backup required to see us through.

Both Wright and Mackay it could be argued are getting to the wrong end of their careers. Both these players and others could possibly at some point this season be injured or suspended, which leaves us with Ando, Easton and Gary Miller.

If further injuries occur to our strikers/defenders, then this will leave us totally stretched as both Scobbie and MacLean are out past January and Morgan and Graham's loan deals ends then too!

Let's hope Tommy and Callum can identify promising talent and give players their chance as Adam Morgan, Liam Caddis only appear to be getting starts from the bench!  

Edited by Pelosi

Can anyone say what our points totals were at this stage for the last three season? I suspect we're not far off being level, if not ahead, of some of them with nine points on the board so far.

Problem is our starting eleven is nowhere near the quality we had those seasons, while the squad depth is laughable in comparison. Can't understand this belief we'll be safe from a relegation battle, this is the worst squad we've had since we came back up, easily. Going forward theres nothing outwith Graham, who needs decent deliveries into the box to be any use, while the defence is pretty much done, its being held together by Anderson just now. 

We won't strengthen at any point this season because Steve Brown won't let us, the moment we're actually in a relegation battle he'll make further cut backs incase we are relegated. We're entirely reliant on finding some genius free agent nobody else has found, our wingers deciding they can score after 16 months of failing at it, or Chris Kane scoring 20 goals in 6 months.

Sorry you're right we do have Graham on a season long loan, however does his contract with Dundee Utd not end at the end of this season allowing him to negotiate any pre-contract with another club if he wishes? Hopefully he keeps on scoring and it is us he signs for!

We've got Graham until end of season ;)