Congrats To Stevie May On Scotland Call Up

mainstand

Willie Imrie and Sandy McLaren

Sorry to be a pedant but Sandy McLaren was capped at Saints.

ETA - so was Willie Imrie apparently, so I'm assuming that's what you meant. I had only ever heard about McLaren being capped while at Saints before Murray.

Edited by Ali91

Sorry to be a pedant but Sandy McLaren was capped at Saints.

ETA - so was Willie Imrie apparently, so I'm assuming that's what you meant. I had only ever heard about McLaren being capped while at Saints before Murray.

That will teach me to read the whole thread before posting. I thought it had become a thread about Saints players playing for Scotland whilst at Perth.

Really pleased for Stevie May, he totally deserves this... but I think we've got every right to be annoyed at Gordon Strachan for completely ignoring him during his time at Saints, yet deciding he's suddenly good enough for the national team just a couple of months after leaving. Sadly predictable.

Am glad for stevie may but he should still be a saints player!, its going to take us a long time to find another striker that scores more than 10 goals a season .Before stevie came into the first team we got through something like 20 strikers over a 5 year period and the only one that could score a decent amount was sandaza 

Graham...3 goals in 4 games? Tongue firmly in cheek

Really pleased for Stevie May, he totally deserves this... but I think we've got every right to be annoyed at Gordon Strachan for completely ignoring him during his time at Saints, yet deciding he's suddenly good enough for the national team just a couple of months after leaving. Sadly predictable.

Just what I was thinking

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/stevie-may-can-flower-for-scotland-says-strachan-1-3558511

I actually think Strachan has explained it well. Rather than whinning about it, let's just hope he does well as a squad player and is a long term fixture with our national team. 

Stachan mentioned on Sportsound he almost called May up for the Nigeria game back in May but didn't because of an important under 21s game.  Not sure if Robertson was called up for that one or not but if he was it could be argued it was more important to see if he could handle himself at that level as we have a more pressing need for a good left back than we do for a striker.  May is not likely to feature in the first team any time soon so there was no rush to call him up, whereas we were/are desparate for good defenders so it was important to get Robertson more experience.

The good thing is that Stevie has not been called up on the back of a "friendly" and therefore would have brought up knawing doubts how serious Strachan was about him. The fact he has been named for what is an extremely important two match squad for us shows taht Strachan is serious about Stevie being a more long term part of the Scotland squad. I think rather than slating wee ginger pubes for not giving SM a chance last season, that we should be grateful that he is looking at a long term future. BTW, what has happened to young "Rhodes" ????    

Edited by AthensSaint

After the Hull City move broke down his form dipped according to some of his fan club in our house. Apparently he was like a little boy lost last night in Rotherham when they beat Blackburn. Down the pecking order goes Rhodes.

Still 4 in 10 league games so far this season, would imagine he's still on Strachan's radar. 

I'm saying I didn't think he was ready for a call up. He's had one good season in the top league in Scotland which is hardly full of world class international defenders. If you have no intention of playing him against Nigeria and the under 21s have a meaningful game then it makes perfect sense to wait to call him up.

I'm saying I didn't think he was ready for a call up. He's had one good season in the top league in Scotland which is hardly full of world class international defenders. If you have no intention of playing him against Nigeria and the under 21s have a meaningful game then it makes perfect sense to wait to call him up.

Ok fair play to you thats your opinion, mine was he was good enough you can just see something in him.

Strachan didn't have to explain his pervious exclusion of Stevie May but he did and I admire him for that. I will be so excited watching the Georgia game out here in Athens with my eldest and just praying Stevie gets a few minutes on the field. I was lucky enough to be at the Brazil match at The Emirates and singing at the top of our voices with the Perth boys (and girls) for Muzz to get on the field. That didn't happen. I strongly believe Stevie May will be one of the cult hereo's for the Tartan Army over the next few years and Perth should be very proud.