St.mirren V Saints 6/12/14

The ghost of Jim Morton

Guest The Great Paddy Buckley

Good oh onwards and upwards to the top six.

Next week Hamilton should beat Dundee at home and an away victory at Kilmarnock, which isn't out of the question, would mean sixth place in the table and a better place mentally before the game against Dundee United on the 27th.

Quite enjoyed the match overall despite the weather. Consistent quality was lacking once again. We played reasonably well in patches and were the better team for the majority of the first-half. The second-half was far too open for my liking. We could have scored a few goals but St. Mirren looked equally dangerous and we wouldn't have had many complaints if they grabbed an equaliser. We really need to learn how to finish games off. We are constantly allowing the opposition far too much time and space.

What currently separates us from a couple of the teams below is our possession of that attacking quality now in McFadden and O'Halloran. The latter's goal was a great finish which I would never have expected him to be capable of a few weeks ago. It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do for you.

Perhaps McFadden had picked up a knock, but otherwise I was quite unimpressed with Tommy's decision to take him off and replace him with Davidson. We became less of an attacking threat after that. The change invited the opposition onto us when we really should have been looking to build on our lead.

Another week goes by and I remain unconvinced by Simon Lappin. A couple of very good crosses (and nothing much else) doesn't equate to an acceptable performance, in my view. It's a shame. I was really positive about his signing. Hopefully he can prove me wrong in the coming weeks.

Edited by The Real Saints

The important thing was the three points but we really need to play at a higher quality if we are going to push for another top 6 finish and put in a challenge for the cup.

Like both Ross County matches we started with a real purpose and dominated the match, O'halloran scored a screamer, we have a decent penalty shout turned down and if McFadden had crossed the ball instead of going for the spectacular when Ridgers was off his line we could have been going in at 0-3.

The second half St.Mirren started on the front foot and two top class saves from Mannus kept us level. We came into the second half more, McFadden had a header saved and Brian Graham after great control has a shot touched onto the post. Although we were comfortably the better team our inability to kill teams off almost cost us against a poor St.Mirren side and a better team would have punished us for not capatilising on our dominance.

I agree with TRS about Lappin, although an improvement on Gary McDonald has been a little disappointing IMO. He undoubtedly has a superb range of passing but we only see that in some games. I also much preferred wotherspoon to fblc today, although he wasn't match sharp some of the trickery and runs he made shows that he is comfortably the better player.

Bring on killie

In what way is supporting your team away from home in difficult condition a waste of money, especially since they won.

I have seen more football played in a game of amateur football, zero atmosphere, hardly anything to cheer about. A bad day when you clap more for the performance of your left back and keeper than anyone else.

but surely watching saints win is worth the admission fee

Always happy to see Saints win & I know no team can play great football for 90 mins. Just pointing out that Buddies played no bad football in second half & on another day would have got a point.

I would love to be entertained & see us playing silky football but as you say it is wins that matter.

The only reason I'm glad that I didn't go was the weather. No matter how bad they played in the second half I love to see them win. I would have gone if I hadn't been coming down with the flu.

Linky that was a quick flu from just a headache on Saturday morning!!! I thought it was a reasonable game considering the horrendous conditions was never going to be silky football, but the most important thing is the three points and great value for a tenner