Penalty Kick

Inchcolm

Was not going to mention this but as it was reported by a journalist in the Mail on Sunday. I now feel the need. The paper reportsĀ  on the dispute betewwn O'Halloran and Graham over who should hit the pebalty kick. What I saw on the park was unprofessional and brings dischord into the team. O'Hallortan picked himself up got the ball and was waking towards the spot. He was confronted by Graham words were exchange and Graham punched the ball out of O'Hallorans hand, he picked the ball up and again there were words, McKay came in and took O'Halloran away. I have said previously TW and the coaching staff should designate a penalty kick taker before every match and not have players scrapping on the park over who takes it. The jounalist also reported that Gramham stated he should take it as he scored the penalty against Dundee. At this match Graham and O'Halloran were also fighting over who should hit the penalty. On that occassion Graham said he should take it as he was fouled in the penalty box. I guess he changed his tune on that one as it was O'Halloran who was fouled. In O'Halloran favour he did go over and congratulate Graham when he scored (it may have been different had he missed)

I do not care who takes the penalties (as long as they score) but lets look professional and stay together as one on the park. As a SFA and FA licenced coach, I know how important it is to be organised on the park. So TW please sort this out and have the same thing happening at the next penalrty

Go away and boil your heed! what a petty thing to get your boxers in a twist about !!!!

Was not going to mention this but as it was reported by a journalist in the Mail on Sunday. I now feel the need. The paper reportsĀ  on the dispute betewwn O'Halloran and Graham over who should hit the pebalty kick. What I saw on the park was unprofessional and brings dischord into the team. O'Hallortan picked himself up got the ball and was waking towards the spot. He was confronted by Graham words were exchange and Graham punched the ball out of O'Hallorans hand, he picked the ball up and again there were words, McKay came in and took O'Halloran away. I have said previously TW and the coaching staff should designate a penalty kick taker before every match and not have players scrapping on the park over who takes it. The jounalist also reported that Gramham stated he should take it as he scored the penalty against Dundee. At this match Graham and O'Halloran were also fighting over who should hit the penalty. On that occassion Graham said he should take it as he was fouled in the penalty box. I guess he changed his tune on that one as it was O'Halloran who was fouled. In O'Halloran favour he did go over and congratulate Graham when he scored (it may have been different had he missed)

I do not care who takes the penalties (as long as they score) but lets look professional and stay together as one on the park. As a SFA and FA licenced coach, I know how important it is to be organised on the park. So TW please sort this out and have the same thing happening at the next penalrty

As a SFA and FA licenced coach, I know how important it is to be organised on the park. So TW please sort this out and have the same thing happening at the next penalrty

How do you know that we haven't designated anyone?

I'm a SFA licenced coach too. Doesn't make your opinion or mine any more important.

Edited by XxLeahSaintxX

They had words at Dens about the penalty as well. Graham takes them well so far. He took the Dens one under pressure so he should get to continue to do so.

O'Halloran just wouldn't be my choice as a penalty taker anyway.

His legs get confused running in a straightline at times. Never mind taking a pk.

How do you know that we haven't designated anyone?

I'm a SFA licenced coach too. Doesn't make your opinion or mine any more important.

Ā 

You are quite correct having coaching licences does not make an opinion more important. However it gives a qualified opinion and you could easily argue that if someone has been watching football for many years they too would would have a qualified opinion. I refered to the licences only to indicate what I had been taught on these courses. Set plays are very important whither they be offencive or defencive and they are rigorously and maticulously practiced at training so every player knows his job at each set play. Hence I commented on plenalty kicks.

If we have designated someone for this set play there would be no fighting over who takes the penalty

Inchcolm you are obviously high up as far as coaching is concerned if you are licenced. I think they only refer to the Uefa licence now. According to the powers that be the rest of us are just certificated now.

Ā 

anyway I don't think it shows a lack of professionalism or organisation. I am sure there have been a lot worse things happening in football teams who are taken by guys that have followed every single bit of guidance handed out in these courses.

Ā 

As also reported the two guys had a laugh about it after the game.

You are quite correct having coaching licences does not make an opinion more important. However it gives a qualified opinion and you could easily argue that if someone has been watching football for many years they too would would have a qualified opinion. I refered to the licences only to indicate what I had been taught on these courses. Set plays are very important whither they be offencive or defencive and they are rigorously and maticulously practiced at training so every player knows his job at each set play. Hence I commented on plenalty kicks.

If we have designated someone for this set play there would be no fighting over who takes the penalty

Ā 

I agree with you Inchcolm, this was a vital set piece which was likely to determine whether we got 3 points or one. Ā The squabble could have affected the concentration of the guy who took the kick. Ā Thank goodness that it didn't but I can remember an argument between Sandaza (who had been brought down) and Craig (at the time our penalty taker) which was watched from the sidelines by McInnes with folded arms. Ā Eventually, Craig took the kick and missed!

Ā 

There is no doubt in my mind that there should be a designated taker who should be professional enough to have studied the opposing keeper's technique in advance of the game. Ā Saints get precious few penalties and have a terrible "goals for" record so this should simply not be left to chance.

I think there's a valid point in there somewhere but the bit about having a go at TW does feel like quite a negative way to look at it. For all we know. Mackay maybe comes across and says..look we talked about this and Graham is on the pk's.

Ā 

I agree that there is a valid point in the OP comments. Although some are trying to minimilise it, and TW in particular has focused on playing it down in the press (whch may tell a story of it's own), I would have concerns over the relationship forming between O'Hallaran and Graham. Okay, because O'Hallaran scored against Ross County, and Graham netted the penalty on Saturday, both incidents can be looked back on more casually....if the outcomes had been different, or situations in the future dont work out, then it could all go sour very quickly.

Ā 

The old "it's great to see strikers want to score" argument only goes so far for me as well. Yes, of course they do, but they should also be professional with regards to how the team go about winning and players that get on will play better together in the long run than players that dont

Ā 

p.s. I don't have any qualifications...oh, wait,Ā I passed my cycling proficiency at school

Edited by Edstar101

Unless you have a proven penalty taker who rarely misses, and doesnt normally get subbed, then i'd think most teams kinda leave it to who wants the penalty most on the day. Seems logical?

what on earth are you taking? the penalty taker should, IMHO be decided before kick off and adhered toĀ 

that way there is no animosity over who is taking the spot kickĀ 

Looked like a pen to me. Brilliant that MOH fought for the kick. Great captain work by Dave - obviously graham is the designated taker. Great penalty. Fantastic for Tommy that his strikers are that hungry. All very satisfactory and a bit odd trying to find negatives. Christ, a few weeks ago it was all doom and gloom on here - can folk no just enjoy the good times!

MoH was wrong to try and claim the right to take it, but he won it, he is was on a scoring streak, he's young and hungry and clearly wants to succeed at Saints. He was told no, and he accepted it. He then celebrated the goal with the others.

What's the problem?

The problem is Wright hasn't made it clear who the penalty taker is.