Child Benefit

Fair Maid

me

Explain why?

The rest of you, irrespective of your views regarding IDS, surely you can understand taxpayers being hacked off at having to subsidise irresponsible parents who breed continuously without real means of financially supporting their own children?

I don't think withdrawing the CB is the answer, though

I don't think it's as simple as 'blaming the poor'. I'm usually in favour of universal benefits, but child benefit is surely worth looking at - though rather than cap it, I'd like to see someone investigate whether it would be practicable to offer it in the form of clothes vouchers or food vouchers for fresh fruit rather than cash. Subsidising recyclable nappies would be another idea.

Explain why?

The rest of you, irrespective of your views regarding IDS, surely you can understand taxpayers being hacked off at having to subsidise irresponsible parents who breed continuously without real means of financially supporting their own children?

I don't think withdrawing the CB is the answer, though

Well if you're sitting with a big bank balance you're quite well off do you really need to be taking whatever child benefit is nowadays from the state? And on the other side of the coin if you are further down the wealth ladder you shouldn't be having anymore than 2 kids if you cant comfortably afford them. Some women churn them out for fun just to rake in benefits.

I don't think it's as simple as 'blaming the poor'. I'm usually in favour of universal benefits, but child benefit is surely worth looking at - though rather than cap it, I'd like to see someone investigate whether it would be practicable to offer it in the form of clothes vouchers or food vouchers for fresh fruit rather than cash. Subsidising recyclable nappies would be another idea.

Brogan you are spot there

Here is the problem. Scotland has a rapidly ageing population...pensions are paid by those in work.....if current trends are not arrested, Scotland will have more people on pensions and benefits than in work and no modern economy can sustain in these circumstances...... Scotland will become a basket case with standards of living, infrastructure, healthcare, education taking a nose dive..... therefore anyone with half a brain cell can see that we must increase the birthrate quickly, so as to  increase the number of those among us who are of working age going forward.  IMO these are our options;

(i)  increase immigration for migrants of child bareing age

(ii) incentivise having children through tax breaks and benefits

(iii) Pipe Barry White records into peoples bedrooms

(iv) Listen to invidious bigoted morons who cannot see past the end of there effin noses and watch our society crumble

I would favour a combination of the first three.

I like your assessment Smarmy however, an additional problem that many of those children (that are the future etc etc) grow up in an environment where they have no aspiration to ever work, and in turn become an even bigger draw on the welfare state, and even when they do want to work, they are raised in households that do not support them through education, not caring if they go to school / stick in at school etc. There is also an argument that there is only a limited number of jobs, so increasing the potential workforce just means more surplus to places available

I like your assessment Smarmy however, an additional problem that many of those children (that are the future etc etc) grow up in an environment where they have no aspiration to ever work, and in turn become an even bigger draw on the welfare state, and even when they do want to work, they are raised in households that do not support them through education, not caring if they go to school / stick in at school etc. There is also an argument that there is only a limited number of jobs, so increasing the potential workforce just means more surplus to places available

Intergenerational worklessness is relatively rare Ed (see link from the excellent JRF) and I accept we as a society need to create the jobs or there is no point, but that is the challenge!

http://www.jrf.org.uk/publications/cultures-of-worklessness

Who would decide the value of these vouchers?

Do they apply for Tesco "finest" or Tesco "value"?

Intergenerational worklessness is relatively rare Ed (see link from the excellent JRF) and I accept we as a society need to create the jobs or there is no point, but that is the challenge!

http://www.jrf.org.uk/publications/cultures-of-worklessness

now smarmy.....stop bringing real evidence to the debate!!  If only it would stop the wild haverings of some on here...

IDS is a master of spin, have a look at what his report says about child poverty. The guy is clueless about what it is like to live in breadline Britain. Child benefit is vital - capping it will not make a great deal of difference (except to the few families with more than two kids) as there are not that many cases it would apply to. Again though, why let facts get in the way of daily mail reader hyperbole.

we have moved from unemployed poverty to employed poverty, virtual slave labour. A continuing wheeze is to get the unemployed on training courses for self employment. Once they have done the course they are then classed as self employed and no longer appear on the unemployed list and cannot claim benefit, they are left high and dry!!  I could go on......

Lets face it, there are not enough decent paid jobs to go round while the austerity cuts are ongoing (maybe not if they were not, to be honest). Scotland missed an opportunity to make a real difference......

Unless the traditional Poundshop is now stocking more foodstuff than Haribo,Irn Bru and Rustlers microwave burgers it may not be the best way forward.

Unless of course you are hoping that the poor all die off due to "lifestyle" illnesses.

rik2304 you would be amazed at what you can get in there nowadays and also shops like B and M bargains no need for anyone to starve

You are not convincing me that B&M and Poundshops are the answer to poverty.

If that was the case then why are Foodbanks on the rise?

didnt say they were the answer to poverty I said the food vouchers would go further in there than tesco. You can easily buy the ingredients and cook a decent enough meal for four for well under a tenner from any of those shops. Surely better than a McDonald's meal that many kids have as their diet