Bin Lorry Crash

saintee4life

If the driver has been slumped over the wheel (as they're suggesting on BBC website) and his foot is on the accellerator then it could have got up to a fair speed.  Doubtful it would have been 70mph but as s4l suggested that could be witness exaggeration. 

Horrible stuff either way. 

The thing I'm struggling to get my head round is this, after the initial collision the vehicle travelled a fair distance before coming to rest, perhaps a timescale of almost a minute. Now binmen very seldom travel alone so surely someone in the cab could've grabbed the steering wheel, yanked on the handbrake or something to halt it, or perhaps they were in shock or injured. This is all guesswork

The thing I'm struggling to get my head round is this, after the initial collision the vehicle travelled a fair distance before coming to rest, perhaps a timescale of almost a minute. Now binmen very seldom travel alone so surely someone in the cab could've grabbed the steering wheel, yanked on the handbrake or something to halt it, or perhaps they were in shock or injured. This is all guesswork

not sure if the handbrake would stop it(you can move off in your car with the handbrake on) depends on the size of the driver if you could get to the controls. if  the drivers foots on the pedal and its getting faster i don't know what moving the wheel would have done. could have made it worse or maybe it did

not sure if the handbrake would stop it(you can move off in your car with the handbrake on) depends on the size of the driver if you could get to the controls. if the drivers foots on the pedal and its getting faster i don't know what moving the wheel would have done. could have made it worse or maybe it did

Aye you could be bangon

Usually the other people on the lorry are outside the cab emptying bins into the back?