Sign in to follow this  
PauloPerth

Your Top 10 Sjfc Highlights Of 2014

Obviously the cup final and winning it will be top.

For me though, the best game was the semi v Aberdeen. After going 1-0 down and recent memory of being pumped in the league cup semi it seemed the saints were destined to be nearly men again. Until suddenly everything clicked into place. I don't think I've celebrated a goal more than May's 2nd which turned out to be the matchwinner. The team then running the ball wide and keeping into corners as the clock ticked down. At full time it didn't matter whether we won or lost the cup - we knew we were there.

The stars all aligned to ensure the cup came to Perth though.

Fantastic days out for the semi and final organised by those of the WAP Barossa Saints. Making sure the were family days out. My sons actively looked out for fixtures last season and the cherry on top was the cup run.

I only see my boys half the time, so thankyou to Saints, and to the Barossa Saints, for creating memories for me and for my laddies.

I'll stop now because I'm actually in tears.

2. Luzern away. As soon as we got there and settled in we realised that not only were we right next to the river, we were also staying in Pickwicks which happened to be where Saints fans were gathering. Brilliant planning. Beers in the glorious sunshine meant the first day was superb. Match day was just something else. Saints flags everywhere, the bridge with a massive "We Are Perth" flag hanging over it is a picture I will cherish forever. The game itself was fantastic, best atmosphere I can remember from a Saints away support, Macleans goal, great result. Magic. Bus back to the centre absolutely rocking with the whole songbook getting an airing. Mingling with the players after the game. Just fantastic.

1. May 17th, 2014. I know I've mentioned two other moments in the list, but as a whole day it has to be number 1 and it was that good that I'm flouting the rules.

What a year from the greatest club in the world.

Edited by Ali91

Dunno how this'll go, but here's a bash at 10 of my most memorable moments of 2014.

10) The 3-3 draw with Celtic - brilliant atmosphere throughout that game, and some fabulous football from Saints. 

9) Ando's goal celebrations being consistently the most boring and predictable celebrations, despite him scoring some brilliant and timely goals in what has been his best season in a Saints shirt.

8) Frazer Wright absolutely owning Cifci for the whole year, despite him clearly being a fantastic player.

7) Chris Millar scoring the winner against Utd today, in his best season for us, making the WAP PotY award a one horse race before Christmas.

6) Macca's goal in Luzern, guy is a feckin' legend.

5) The boy asking me why strangers kept hugging us outside Celtic Park after we won the cup, and his grin when I said it was because I was wearing the Montrose Saints flag like a cape, so everyone was recognising him.

4) Mayso's double against Aberdeen at Ibrox.  Sadly watching on the TV as I couldn't be there, but the greasy mark on the screen where the boy kissed it after the equaliser wasn't washed off for many weeks.

3) Scobbie's penalty against Luzern.  Saints legend forever more for that 20 seconds.

2) Ando scoring just before half-time at Celtic Park, and my dad and son going mental, while i couldn't hold back the tears.  Feeling very foolish I looked aroun to see Rik2304 balling his eyes out too.  A memorable man-hug ensued.  

1) Full time whistle at Celtic Park and three generations of montrosesaintees going absolutely bananas, best feeling EVER as a Saints fan.  As one or two of you may know, an insane and deranged ex-wife taking them away, and poor health, have led to me losing access to my kids, part of the reason for my absence from WAP.  I haven't seen the boy since August, but my avatar on here warms my heart every time I see it.  I have faith that he will never forget, and as time passes he will make his own decision to want to come back to the good half of his family.  

Edited by montrosesaintee

Here goes mine but after the year Saints have had, quite a difficult choice.

10. McFadden's goal in the Cup vs Ross County, glimpse of a true quality player peach of a left foot strike, rarely have I ever seen a keeper so comprehensively beaten all ends up.

9. Celtic 3-3 game, relaxed atmosphere in the run up to the Final, played them off the park in the first half, they brought on their super subs and run us ragged for ten minutes until the unlikeliest double act of Hasselbaink and Iwelumo caused such panic we scored twice to shove it down their supporters throats.

After putting the list together, trust Saints to get a comeback win against our local rivals with a goal in the dying minutes.. Could well be in my top 10 somewhere! Both of these well covered by others already...

2. Scottish Cup Final 2014

A brilliant day from start to finish. Right to the death with some of the players still posing for pictures at 3am outside the loft! A long time coming, we have won a major trophy at long last!!

1. Saints 2 Aberdeen 1 SC Semi-Final

Probably seems daft having this above the Cup Final but this was the highlight for me. We’d lost our previous 8 SC semi-finals and several LC semis. We’d played Aberdeen 4 times that season and failed to score. In the LC Semi Final they beat us 4-0 and in truth it was the team most of us wanted to avoid in the Scottish Cup semi-final draw. Only about 3000 Saints fans went to Ibrox, more in hope than expectation, and Aberdeen led 1-0 at half-time in a tight game. Once more they goaded us with the song “Who the **** is Stevie May?” as he had a very quiet first half. Once more it looked like we were going to fail at this stage, and several Saints fans had implied they were done with going to semi-finals if we lost this one. It genuinely felt like if we didn’t do it this time then it was just never going to happen. Then, with less than half an hour remaining, the unthinkable happened…

Those two brilliant goals by our young local star player, the celebrations in the rain, the “Who the **** is Stevie May??” sung to the Aberdeen fans, the raw sheer unadulterated joy of a comeback win in a semi-final, making our first ever Scottish Cup Final… this was stuff as a neutral you enjoy watching, but its not the kind of thing that happens for us.

I never thought I would experience another Airdrie game for drama, excitement, passion with so much at stake, but this is now right up there beside it.

2     Macca scores 2nd goal in cup final. The feeling when that goal went in was fantastic being there with my now grown up kids and in a small corner of parkhead that was taken over with folk from Peebles while not Saints diehards like myself were there supporting Saints because of family links or friendships with Stevie, His celebration in front of us will live with me for evermore and seeing the Peebles Saints flag on the pitch after the game was brilliant.

1    Scottish Cup Presentation.   I have now been following Saints for nearly 50 years and was beginning to think it would never happen quite simply outwith family events the best day of my life

Agree with all the postees...all memorable.

Watched the Saints DVD homecoming cup final parade yesterday and am not afraid to say that I had a lump in my throat & a tear in my eye! The simplicity of Perth folk cheering on the bus as it sped past them all! Finally my 'wee team' had only gone & won the Scottish cup!

The thing is, even if they were to win it again & I hope that they do! Nothing again will compare to the build up around Perth, the winning & the after party .. Only a Saints fan will know what I mean!?

Anyway just glad I saw it in my lifetime, I feel sad for people no longer here who I know would have loved every minute!?⚽

Countdown continued

8. A nearly moment, kind of summed up our performance in the cup final, when we broke with a great touch from Mikey releasing Spoony who went on an amazing run leaving United players on their arsed left right and centre, shame he couldn't finish otherwise would probably have eclipsed Ricky Villa. Not bad for a team of hammer throwers!:)

7. Unfortunately missed the semi at Ibrox as was in Barcelona for a weekend with my wife. Remember stepping off the plane into sheets of rain and howling gale feeling miserable as sin as having experienced the Tynecastle debacle was not exactly confident. Checking the score while we waited for our luggage to come round the carousel and seeing we were winning, I went slightly and understandably nuts. Then driving past Aberdeen fans on the way back to Perth laughing my head off.

Countdown continued

8. A nearly moment, kind of summed up our performance in the cup final, when we broke with a great touch from Mikey releasing Spoony who went on an amazing run leaving United players on their arsed left right and centre, shame he couldn't finish otherwise would probably have eclipsed Ricky Villa. Not bad for a team of hammer throwers!:)

7. Unfortunately missed the semi at Ibrox as was in Barcelona for a weekend with my wife. Remember stepping off the plane into sheets of rain and howling gale feeling miserable as sin as having experienced the Tynecastle debacle was not exactly confident. Checking the score while we waited for our luggage to come round the carousel and seeing we were winning, I went slightly and understandably nuts. Then driving past Aberdeen fans on the way back to Perth laughing my head off.

That brought back a great wee memory - we stopped at Stirling Services on the way back for a pee etc and the place was filled with Aberdeen fans, who to a man and woman were gracious in their defeat if not a tad sour faced. Felt absolutely magic walking in there, totally outnumbered, as we were at the ground. Was a real walking on air momemt.

Continued

6. Out of an unfortunate moment came a never to be forgotten experience when after my youngest was smacked on the nose by a Simon Lappin piledriver during the shooting practice at the last Inverness game, the club invited the two of us in before training on Christmas Eve when we had a private visit to the Boardroom, my boy had a hold of the Cup, met Tommy in his office and all the players. Simon was fantastic and a great guy, presented my son with his jersey from the ICT match signed by all the team. Made me realise what a great club I support as they really put themselves out.

5. Has to be a late entry with Midge's goal last Saturday, his inability to net had become a standing joke in our household, and to be there when the famine ended was superb, could see how much it meant to him and indeed to the whole team. Some goal too!

4. The Raith Rovers Quarter Final, great day out in Kirkcaldy, a fond memory to remember Nigel by with a cracking strike, typical of the ooccasional moments of real brilliance he was capable of, followed by Ando's goal which at the time was a collectors item albeit became quite a regular occurrence since.

3. Lucerne home game, a night of incredible atmosphere and tension, best away support I've seen at McDiarmid, last abiding memory of Stevie May and banishing the sad memory of the Minsk game with five superb penalties (May's closest to unstoppable I've seen) and the wild celebrations afterwards. What a night

Edited by nickyg

2. The build up and aftermath of the Cup Final, with Saints fans from across the globe descending on Glasgow in their masses and all the personal stories of those who would be missing loved ones on the day, got really caught up in the emotion, took the whole family down to Glasgow for the weekend, so proud of our Diddy team who to a man performed like heroes to win the cup, and then the amazing turn out back in Perth on the Sunday, when pretty much the whole town turned out to welcome the cup back. So pleased to be a very small part of the greatest day in Saints history.

1. Maybe an odd choice but my most abiding memory is MacLean's second goal in the final, at 1-0 it was still a bit tense but soon as that went in to give us breathing space, was confident we would go on to win. Sitting behind the goal, it seemed like time stood still when the ball got stuck between Czerniak and Macca, at the time seemed like forever as though preparing for a life changing moment, then almost suddenly the ball was in the net, Steven goes off into the crowd like a man possessed strong arming May in the process and the blue end of Celtic Park erupted. Still see it in my mind almost every day, is imprinted in my brain.

Continued

6. Out of an unfortunate moment came a never to be forgotten experience when after my youngest was smacked on the nose by a Simon Lappin piledriver during the shooting practice at the last Inverness game, the club invited the two of us in before training on Christmas Eve when we had a private visit to the Boardroom, my boy had a hold of the Cup, met Tommy in his office and all the players. Simon was fantastic and a great guy, presented my son with his jersey from the ICT match signed by all the team. Made me realise what a great club I support as they really put themselves out.

5. Has to be a late entry with Midge's goal last Saturday, his inability to net had become a standing joke in our household, and to be there when the famine ended was superb, could see how much it meant to him and indeed to the whole team. Some goal too!

Should have waited until last game of the season before putting my top 10 up!

Top ten moments of 2004

Just think of the Top of the Pops music and Tony Blackburn reading it out

In at 10:- Stevie May wonder goal at Tannadice . Rado Rado give us a goal. March

At 9:- The aftermath of the Semi win against Aberdeen at Ibrox outside the stadium , in the Govan bowling club then Glasgow city centre. Floating for about 3 hours. April

At 8:- Stevie May's double in the same game . Don't think we'll see another player like him till Kane gets in the team. :laugh: April

In at 7:- Probably seen the majority of his goals this year but he was the reason I got to see number 3 and 2 Stevie May January-August

In at 6:- Midge's goal against Dundee United and nothing better than a goal against your rivals. December

Halfway at fab number 5 :- Raith away. Another Friday Saturday Sunday morning weekender........Ace. March

At 4:- The run we've had in the league this year is probably the best we've ever been on. Watch this space. October November December 

At number 3:- Lucern away . The whole trip was just magic . Superb location , superb result , superb friends . July 

In at number 2:- Trnava away . Another fantastic trip . There is nothing better than an away trip following your team in Europe. August

And my number 1 poptasticly moment is :- The whole build up to the final and the day itself. Something I'll never ever forget . Everyone scrambling from the 4 corners of the globe to be at Celtic Park. Travelling through early Friday with loads of sainteees . Pub crawl up the west end . Then the Sub Club at night till the early hours grabbing an hours sleep before meeting up with everyone else for Times Square. Inside the stadium was just the best ever feeling. You could feel the togetherness........... one huge happy family.  You all know what it was like. May 17th

At 9:- The aftermath of the Semi win against Aberdeen at Ibrox outside the stadium , in the Govan bowling club then Glasgow city centre. Floating for about 3 hours. April

I was in the Govan BC that day as well.. After the game there was a few dons fans singing their "we are the famous aberdeen" song, to be drowned out by saints fans singing "you're not famous anymore"!! Magic!