Mcfadden's Turn

Tranmere Saintee

The Cummings (Hibs) incident WASNT missed by the ref - he was booked for his gesture during the game. So why is the CO offering him further punishment?

Cant answer cos I dont know.Yellow at time seemed fair to me. O nly difference I can see is Cummings could have started crowd trouble at sell-out derby with over an hour to go.Faddy only knew where the few Accies fans were as they had been abusing him all game purely on his Well (Lanarkshire) connection.I dont think we will miss him,but still frustrated that the system as it is being used now is not understood by the most important people in the game i.e.the fans.

Cummings was much worse as he did it after scoring which could lead to the odd moron in the crowd getting angry. McFadden did it when Hamilton were winning and the Hamilton fans would have been delighted with the reaction, not angry.

ETA - this whole getting banned for offences that would be a yellow during the match is a nonsense anyway. Two matches for making a GIRUY gesture is ridiculous.

Edited by Ali91

Some people are fickle as ****, a few weeks ago he was the dogs bollocks now they want him punted. Dear o dear people take a look at yourselves. He made a stupid gesture in the heat of the moment with adrenaline running high, anyone who has ever played football at any level knows you do things in the heat of the moment that you may regret later. To get an extra game ban is nothing short of laughable

Agreed

HSF who the hell is "the Match Official Commander" do you mean the match delegate?

The strange thing is that like a number of us in the mainstand he probably never saw it and he did it so close to the tunnel, in addition to which he would probably be watching the match officials to see how they dealt with it.

If as you say the delegate was the eyes and ears of the CO in the stand then the Hamilton NED of a manager would be up fpr having a shouting match with some fans in the stand. A lot more provocative than Faddy's gesture which Hamilton fans probably did not see as they were 50 metres away.

Is it really a big deal? Hamilton fans loved it as it showed they'd got to one of their rivals' favourite former players. I personally love it when an opposition player gives us a gesture or gets involved with us, it's why I'll always prefer being at a game than watching on tv. It's all part of the crack and gets the crowd involved.

Cifti gave us a mouthful the other week and got a huge jeer, it's all part of the theatre for me. Chic Charnley used to be great at winding up the east stand when he played with dundee, everyone went mental and got on his back and he loved it. When we got beaten at tannadice earlier in the season the utd fans were giving Fraser wright abuse so he did a gesture to show he had a medal round his neck followed by a get it right up ye gesture as he walked off the park - brilliant!!

Is anyone really offended by this?? Does the game have to be completely sterile? Fans give players dogs abuse all game, I can't stand it when some then start with the moral indignation that a player told them to **** off or flicked the v's at them.

The difference between the Cummins and mcfadyen case is that one was done as he was sent off whilst the other was when he was on the pitch.

It appears to be a one game ban for the gesture and a second because it took place when he was sent off. I presume if he had done it before he was sent off he would have just got a one game ban.

Personally don't see the problem with it. Had he shouted **** off to the fans nobody would have batted an eyelid. Because Faddy decided to embrace all in society and be respectful to deaf people by using sign language it seems ridiculous to ban him.

On a lighter note, I take it the compliance officier missed lovable rogue Cifti giving the east stand abuse after Christmas? I guess nobody mentioned it because nobody really gives a shit if a footballer abuses the fans. They take enough stick from us!

Right then ,Chick and the CO found the gesture offensive and possibly HSF anyone else > Its done move on,but still hacked off that we have lost two strikers for 5 matches for eh !...not a lot really.Perhaps having pissed off Saints the BBC could target another team or maybe even just show a fair balanced set of highlights.

Right then ,Chick and the CO found the gesture offensive and possibly HSF anyone else > Its done move on,but still hacked off that we have lost two strikers for 5 matches for eh !...not a lot really.Perhaps having pissed off Saints the BBC could target another team or maybe even just show a fair balanced set of highlights.

Not to mention Croft - that was another ridiculous decision.

Not to mention Croft - that was another ridiculous decision.

This is the decision that makes the least sense to me. Granted it was a bad tackle, but if the referee sees it and waves play on, how can he be suspended on the basis the ref missed it? Scottish FA explaining Sweet FA as usual.

This is the decision that makes the least sense to me. Granted it was a bad tackle, but if the referee sees it and waves play on, how can he be suspended on the basis the ref missed it? Scottish FA explaining Sweet FA as usual.

I also thought the ref waved play on. After watching it again though he doesn't.

Personally I think the SFA's mantra of applying the 'Letter of the law' is killing the game dead. They don't allow for common sense or even mitigating circumstances. Even in our own judiciary system in the UK we have scope for applying common sense.

For example. If someone breaks into your house and assaults your family and you retaliate to defend yourself/family/home and you injure the intruder you will 'likely' be given no punishment.

Obviously that's an extreme case and doesn't compare with anything as trivial as Football but the same should apply. In McFaddens case he was clearly fouled, clearly sent off unjustly by the referee and the sensible approach would have been a warning about his behaviour after the red card due to the mitigating circumstances.

In Croft's case they should have noted that he may have been reckless but the referee acknowledged it in play, decided to play on and County got a goal. This was more than enough punishment.

I don't have a problem with the punishment for Grahams misdemeanour.

Edited by Broon

Quite a few paranoid Old Squirm style fans on this thread. Sportscene are not conducting a witchhunt against us. That show is a football highlights show, do we expect them not to show incidents involved in the game?

I personally dont think McFadden should be banned for giving the "get it up ye" sign to the Hamilton fans. Its further proof of the sterilisation of our game. McFadden was quite rightly getting stick from the Hamilton fans all game and reacted to this after the sending off. It was harmless. People might say, "what about the poor kids that have to witness this", but kids will witness much worse on a daily basis through watching tv, playing computers games etc. If you are taking kids to a football game, you cant be as naive to think they wont be exposed to some bad language or actions.

Its no wonder there are no real characters left in Scottish Football. I used to love watching the likes of Roddy and Alan Moore wind up oppostion fans. It added something to the game. Sadly, I think them days are well gone.

Faddy's signal to the Hamilton fans was unprofessional. I am sure he feels bad about it as he is a long standing and admired Scottish player. No big deal, we all get a bit angry now and again but should pay the consequenses. Not being paid for the two additional games should be enforced for him. Maybe he would think twice.   

Fair does to the Hamilton fans for winding him up, it is all part of football. I am sure we have wound a few players up over the years. Grainger, Charnley, Stainrod etc etc. Maybe Faddy a bit more sensitive as he is so "famous".   

Edited by AthensSaint

Quite a few paranoid Old Squirm style fans on this thread. Sportscene are not conducting a witchhunt against us. That show is a football highlights show, do we expect them not to show incidents involved in the game?

I personally dont think McFadden should be banned for giving the "get it up ye" sign to the Hamilton fans. Its further proof of the sterilisation of our game. McFadden was quite rightly getting stick from the Hamilton fans all game and reacted to this after the sending off. It was harmless. People might say, "what about the poor kids that have to witness this", but kids will witness much worse on a daily basis through watching tv, playing computers games etc. If you are taking kids to a football game, you cant be as naive to think they wont be exposed to some bad language or actions.

Its no wonder there are no real characters left in Scottish Football. I used to love watching the likes of Roddy and Alan Moore wind up oppostion fans. It added something to the game. Sadly, I think them days are well gone.

I am not paranoid but the BBC should be showing balanced highlights from games.Many an "incident" I have seen at game and not included in show.Maybe if CO sent ref in question video clips and asked him if he was in  possesion of that at the time would he alter his decision.Present system is not what was promised on introduction.

Saints a soft target. They never challenge the CO.

On what basis do you suggest we challenge it? He was sent off - 1 match ban - the gesture is seen as a second sending off offence, further two match ban. Neither decision is in dispute and the penalty for both is a 3 match ban. The club had absolutely nothing to gain by appealing and would've had to pay for the appeal too.

Compliance officer has been right with all three retrospective bans so far this season, and also Scobbie's one last year. Whether it's a trial by tv or not is irrelevant - the players need to keep their discipline better and stop bloody diving.

On what basis do you suggest we challenge it? He was sent off - 1 match ban - the gesture is seen as a second sending off offence, further two match ban. Neither decision is in dispute and the penalty for both is a 3 match ban. The club had absolutely nothing to gain by appealing and would've had to pay for the appeal too.

Compliance officer has been right with all three retrospective bans so far this season, and also Scobbie's one last year. Whether it's a trial by tv or not is irrelevant - the players need to keep their discipline better and stop bloody diving.

Crofts tackle was a 50/50.Grahams dive was not 100% conclusive IMO. No dispute about Faddy but maybe should not have been sent off.

Crofts tackle was a 50/50.Grahams dive was not 100% conclusive IMO. No dispute about Faddy but maybe should not have been sent off.

Graham's dive was shameful. We've suffered from similar twice in the past - once punished and once not after one of the notices of complaint was appealed. Has to work both ways.

Croft's tackle was borderline, but can understand why it was punished after the ref confirmed he hadn't seen it.

The gesture is seen as a sending off...by who ??? If not included in match report then someone must have been upset ! Gestures regularly seen as "yellow"  not red unless liable to cause serious crowd trouble.Move on ..we have been "chicked"..nothing to see here !

The system will stink until such time as the CO is locked away in a room on his own and watches all 90+ minutes of every single game.

I have asked the question on here and on several Facebook pages 'When/who was the last player to be cited that was not featured by the BBC pundits' and have not received a single reply.

On Saturday there were at least 2 Hamilton players  guilty of leading with their elbow but not discussed by the pundits so nothing happens.