Ched Evans

mainstand

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's a very interesting topic and there is no right or wrong answer in my opinion. His actions were wrong, but the situation itself happens in every city- every weekend. The law sees him as a rapist, whilst he sees himself differently, as a young lad that simply cheated on his girlfriend.

What is clear is that he has served the sentence he was given and his only profession is football. With the media coverage, the lad will have to no chance of even an ordinary job. I do think there is many bandwagon jumpers in events like this, there is no place for online death threats and the like.

I'd personally allow the club to make the decision if they think he is a repentant individual that would pose no threat to locals (which I'm sure he wouldn't) and ultimately improve our team. A large donation of his wage to a rape charity would be a big step.

Whilst I'm all for rehabilation football is different to other careers in that every single day you're in the spotlight and whether you agree with it or not footballers are role models. On that basis I would not be okay with Ched Evans being anywhere near my football club.

It could be a different story if he was genuinely sorry and helping rape charities etc (ie how any criminal should reintroduce themselves into society) but he hasn't and instead is piling his money into a website that treats the victim like a criminal.

People who want him- if you have children, would you really be okay with them cheering on a convicted rapist? Or leaving them alone with him to do a q and a similar to the one Scobbie did?

Whilst I'm all for rehabilation football is different to other careers in that every single day you're in the spotlight and whether you agree with it or not footballers are role models. On that basis I would not be okay with Ched Evans being anywhere near my football club.

It could be a different story if he was genuinely sorry and helping rape charities etc (ie how any criminal should reintroduce themselves into society) but he hasn't and instead is piling his money into a website that treats the victim like a criminal.

People who want him- if you have children, would you really be okay with them cheering on a convicted rapist? Or leaving them alone with him to do a q and a similar to the one Scobbie did?

He was convicted of rape, not of being a paedophile.

Im sure this will create a divide between those on the morally high ground and those who feel everyone deserves a second chance. I have no problem in Chad Evans trying to re-build his life and within that, looking at gainful employment with the skills he has to hand - which is being a very good footballer. My only concern would be to the damage to the club I love if he signed for us. I say yes to Chad Evans being allowed to carry on his football career, but no to signing for St Johnstone as all around us would try and bring us down. Good luck to him as he needs it now. He has served his time thoughI wouldnt be surprised to hear he hung himself one day due to all this public pressure.     

Edited by AthensSaint

Zamora, Sorry ! Your comments are fairly stupid with regards to young children. 

Read the last sentence of your post. "leaving him alone with them" ???

I realise that could come across wrongly but it's too late to edit it. I mean with all the community work footballers do its important for them to be role models or at the very least not convicted criminals just out of jail. It's not just a job a were you go to your games, score goals and then go home again. The last bit I worded wrongly yeah.

I find it incredible that any Saints fan would look at what's just happened to Oldham, and reach the conclusion that they want that for our club. Condemnation and ridicule all across mainstream and social media; sponsors withdrawing their support; pressure from activist groups; fans threatening to never come back; death threats to staff; loads of legal red tape for the club to have to wade through - and that's without even signing the guy. It's a PR disaster and any British club who even hints at considering signing him is going to have to go through all of that. And for what? To sign a guy who hasn't kicked a ball competitively for ages? Why is it worth the hassle? I also understand he's not allowed to leave the country, so as things stand if we got back into Europe he wouldn't even be allowed to play. And all of that's before even touching on the moral discussion of whether we want a convicted rapist representing our "family" club. 

For Evans himself, I agree that he should be allowed to work again and get himself back into a positive role in society. But unless he manages to find a club chairman with incredibly thick skin and not much sense (maybe the Peterborough guy might fancy giving him a punt?), I can't see it happening for him in British football.

I realise that could come across wrongly but it's too late to edit it. I mean with all the community work footballers do its important for them to be role models or at the very least not convicted criminals just out of jail. It's not just a job a were you go to your games, score goals and then go home again. The last bit I worded wrongly yeah.

Sorrry to put you under the hammer on that one. Watch this thread role on.

I say yes to Chad Evans being allowed to carry on his football career, but no to signing for St Johnstone as all around us would try and bring us down. Good luck to him as he needs it now. He has served his time thoughI wouldnt be surprised to hear he hung himself one day due to all this public pressure.     

Unfortunatly this is the general attitude taken to all 'offenders' and why the circle of crime is so hard to break.  Cant blame that thinking however.

I dont fully know the ins and outs of this so correct me if I am wrong but it was two people out who had both had a bit to drink, both peoples judgement impaired? 

Its a very, very subjective point about where 'major regre't ends and 'rape' begins, there for the grace of God and all that..

It comes down to faith in the judicial system.  He was found guilty, and continues to claim innocence.  For a football club to sign him, they would have to assume that the courts are right, and that he committed the crime, and therefore that he is unrepentant.  

That might not be the truth of course, but for a football club, with the full attention of the media, that has to be the reality.

Had he admitted the offence, and been genuinely repentant and apologised in the appropriate manner, I think he would be playing in the championship already and nobody would be discussing this.

I guess he'll end up playing in another country.  

My problem with it is people who do those things absolutely disgust me and rightfully so and we surely should have faith in the reasoning he was found guilty - we don't know the ins and outs but there obviously was enough evidence to convict.

The strange thing I find is if guilty why would he keep pleading his innocence and not apologising till yesterday. Surely he would have more chance of a second chance if guilty apologising properly.

Edited by PerthSeany

I'd support him. I'd have a fatherly chat with him, set him straight and after that everything would be fine. He'd behave, score goals and be accepted, even by women.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, even with Tommy involved. Sex offences are viewed in a very unforgiving way in our country. They're wrong, for sure, but such a response to the extent that the perpetrators are effectively 'cast out' and become near unemployable is counter productive. Isolation quite often leads to reoffending behaviour, whereas strictly managed inclusion tends to have better results. Keep friends close and enemies closer kind of thinking?

On balance I'd take him, but that could never happen in this case. We're used to all the negative stuff blue heaven mentioned, though maybe not the death threats.

What's the difference between Evans and Goodwillie? Without judging or slandering the latter (I've never made those infantile chants some of us have) could it be a conviction perhaps? Imagine the songs and chants from opposing fans.

If anyone is upset they're simply what came to mind. Thinking aloud, if you will. There are no statements, beliefs, views or positions included in what I said.

It comes down to faith in the judicial system. He was found guilty, and continues to claim innocence. For a football club to sign him, they would have to assume that the courts are right, and that he committed the crime, and therefore that he is unrepentant.

That might not be the truth of course, but for a football club, with the full attention of the media, that has to be the reality.

Had he admitted the offence, and been genuinely repentant and apologised in the appropriate manner, I think he would be playing in the championship already and nobody would be discussing this.

I guess he'll end up playing in another country.

You beat me to saying pretty much the same thing!

What Andrew said absolutely sums up the roll of the judicial system.  Goodwillie wasn't prosecuted, and all is forgotten.  Evans was and will likely never play in the UK again.  In reality, both incidents might have been very similar.  We don't know.  Only those directly involved know.  

How many hundreds of thousands of kids dream of playing professional football but never get the chance and how many get to but have their careers ended by injury.

Would I want my kid looking up to a guy like this at my club. The answer is no for the same reason I was very wary of Morris and especially Badfannie joining our club. I think any guy can find themselves in the same situation as Morris , Evans and Badfannie if you let it get that far but you have a choice at that time. I know I have never even thought about taking advantage of a girl when she was drunk or inebriated. I hate seeing a girl even walking home alone no matter how drunk she is.

I'm kind of on the fence about this. Whilst he's still in the courts trying to prove his innocence, I don't think he should be playing for anyone. If you haven't read the case, I'd suggest you have a look.

Didn't Jordan Robertson cause death by dangerous driving? He played for us for 6 months and no one batted an eye lid. Jody Morris was accused by two women of rape also. I know these two things are different - Jordan Robertson's was an accident and the case against Morris was dropped - but we also chased Goodwillie (and signed David Robertson) who's cases are still ongoing through the civil courts.

I'm kind of on the fence about this. Whilst he's still in the courts trying to prove his innocence, I don't think he should be playing for anyone. If you haven't read the case, I'd suggest you have a look.

Didn't Jordan Robertson cause death by dangerous driving? He played for us for 6 months and no one batted an eye lid. Jody Morris was accused by two women of rape also. I know these two things are different - Jordan Robertson's was an accident and the case against Morris was dropped - but we also chased Goodwillie (and signed David Robertson) who's cases are still ongoing through the civil courts.

The difference with Jordan Robertson was the admission of responsibility and the fact that he had apologised specifically for the act - therefore deserving of a second chance IMO.

Couple of points.

He is allowed to leave the country - it's just that the parole requirements make it impractical to work abroad. But he probably could get away for a day or two to play a European tie.

Secondly, no rape charity would accept donations from a rapist.

Could you imagine that? We condone what he's done but were happy to accept his money - just isn't right.

I never thought of that till you mentioned it but very true true they wouldn't