Scottish Cup Game At Dumfries

glenrothes saintee

Not often I criticise TW but the team line up today and substitutions were all wrong. MOH should have started, McFadden shouldn't have. He gave the ball away time after time yet guys like Swanson and Kane were taken off and he was left on. I wouldn't say Scobbie isn't a good CH but the facts speak for themselves and we get better results with Wright in there.

It was a terrible performance, a real insult to the large travelling support and the behaviour of an element of our support today was ridiculous. It's one thing ironically cheering your new signing going off, it's another launching solid snowballs in droves at both sets of players when they're up at a set piece. Really disgraceful behaviour.

Not often I criticise TW but the team line up today and substitutions were all wrong. MOH should have started, McFadden shouldn't have. He gave the ball away time after time yet guys like Swanson and Kane were taken off and he was left on. I wouldn't say Scobbie isn't a good CH but the facts speak for themselves and we get better results with Wright in there.

It was a terrible performance, a real insult to the large travelling support and the behaviour of an element of our support today was ridiculous. It's one thing ironically cheering your new signing going off, it's another launching solid snowballs in droves at both sets of players when they're up at a set piece. Really disgraceful behaviour.

Bet they were proper singing though and that's what counts.

Very, very, very poor.  QOS passed it better, were more composed and defended well.  I struggle to see what McFadden brings to us at the moment.  Swanson had a nightmare of a debut and there was no creativity at all.  We are struggling to score at the moment and when they went 1 up, it looked very difficult for us.  Thought the support was fantastic in terms of backing and singing, during a dreadful afternoon performance in a freezin Dumfries. Good luck to them in the next round.

Bet they were proper singing though and that's what counts.

I actually disagree with the assertion that that's all that matters. The atmosphere in the first half was excellent but they showed themselves up to be a bunch of fuds with the snowball incident particularly. That was not soft snow. I'm not one of these OTT health and safety moaners but throwing chunks of ice at anyone, never mind your own players is something only a complete moron would do. I forgot to mention they then started throwing them down the stairs at their own fans as we walked out. One flew past my head and hit a lady in the back of her head in front of me.

Edited by SaintSam1884

Pretty much the same squad of players earlier this year played Luzern home and away and watched a very good side and competed very well.

Yet today and other times this season have looked completely without any confidence and belief then the following week look back to themselves again.

Are they a fragile bunch?

How can it swing so badly.

Pretty much the same squad of players earlier this year played Luzern home and away and watched a very good side and competed very well.

Not really. Unless I've mixed things up, only four players today started against Luzern. Weren't we missing Wright, Millar, McLean, Caddis, Miller, Brown and Croft?

That's not to disagree about our variable performances.

Can we go back to the morning after the lucern game and do this season again.

For a team who has been so strong in cups domestically and in Europe the past year or two, we have gone out of both this season really meekly. Just given them away.

As in many performances this season we seem content to cancel out the opposition, wait for something to happen and not impose ourselves on the game. Queens looked nervous to begin with and we should have gone for the jugular right away, instead our laboured possession lets them get into the match.

O'halloran should have started, and at the very least should have come on at half time as Swanson was so obviously off the pace. For the new loan signing to go straight in ahead of our top scorer is a bit of a boot in the baws for Mikey.

McFadden really wanted to win today, you get the impression he knows his opportunities to win a trophy are slipping away, but for one so experienced his decision making was shocking. His touch was often good but almost every time he just had his head down and kept the ball til he was crowded out and lost possession. He never got anything going with Kane when his quick short passing can be so good. Players probably stopped moving for him cos they felt he would keep it until he gave it away. Needs to mix his game up far more.

Thought BG looked determined and got involved when he came on. Such a shame we only felt it was worth a bit of urgency when they were ahead.

Macca, midge and Fraser Wright must be gutted we've given up our season so tamely. Great support, didn't think snowballs were being thrown at saints players, thought it was just onto the pitch in disgust, but who knows.

Hope a QOS or Inverness go on to win it so they get to feel the high we did last May.

If there wasn't a word called disappointment they could call it St Johnstone.

I don't know what the question is but McFadden isn't the answer, not slagging him I actually think he is a good player but unfortunately a luxury we can't afford.

I truly believe it is our inability to field a settled team that is our main downfall.

I thought if we had to exit the cup it would have been a bang not a whimper!

Thank goodness we won the cup, for some reason my disappointment had evaporated by the time I got off the bus & I think it is because we have that monkey off our back.

Tommy Wright must shoulder most of the blame today.

Yep and not for the first time this season.

Playing McFadden on an artificial pitch.

Playing Swanson the day after he joined us. He did not seem to know our set up & seemed lost. Will wait another couple of games before I write him off.

Not playing Mikey & leaving it too late for subs.

How long is he going to keep playing Lappin. Nearly ever ball he passed to Easton wnet behind him & if he wasn`t doing that he just kicking hopeful punt up to no one. Might get away with it when Macca is there but no one else can cope with that type of ball.

That was disappointing SHIT. Let me start by congratulating Queens. They deserved the win,. They were everything we should have been but were not. They were slick, we were sloppy, they fought like tigers, we rolled over like pussies. They moved the ball quickly, we were slower than a week in jail. They played as a unit, we were so disjointed it was  unbelievable. They scored goals, we never really looked like  scoring and I reckon we could still be playing now and still be goal less.

A fantastic Saints following let down yet again by listless, leaderless and tactically inept excuse for a St.Johnstone team.

I don't normally do player ratings but I am gonna today.

Mannus. Made one top save, little chance  for the goals and little else to do. Not for the first time though he was slow to get the play moving. 6/10

Mackay. looked slow, made a few very poor passes . Did at least get forward a few times. Not sure how culpable he was at the goals as I never noticed due to having my head in my hands. 5/10.

Ando. My Saints MoM. Won nearly every header he went for, got forward well in the second half. Showed at least a modicum of spirit. 8/10

Tam Scobbie. Not great not awful to slow moving the ball at times. 5/10

Brian Easton. Had one of his poorest games for Saints and only started to show what he could do in the last 15 minutes. Far too many poor passes and punts.3/10

Murray Davidson. Early booking killed the laddie and  never  made the kind of impact we need from him 4/10

Simon Lappin. Sadly, Lappin was horseshite again. Far too many shit passes, far to many negative passes. 2/10

Spoony. I want the laddie to do well but yet again he brought the square root of feck all to the team today. Far too negative, lightweight and slow. No passion, no belief, no fight. 2/10

Diving Danny. Not sure what to make of Swanson. Possibly let down by the manager after being thrown straight into the side. Was breathing oot of his arse after 10 minutes. Couldnae beat an egg never mind a full back. He will get a chance with me, but  solely on todays effort he was fecking worse than pish. 2/10

Chris Kane. Looked lively for 15 minutes and then was bullied out of the game. looked lightweight 4/10

James McFadden. I thought he had a  terrible game and  am begining  to think he's a luxury player we  could do without.  2/10

Subbies. O'Halloran. Made a difference but missed a very scorable chance. Should have been on at half time 6/10

Brian Graham.  At least he actually won a few headers  when he came on but looks pretty poor 4/10

Tommy Wright. The cup winning honeymoon is over. Though he failed with his starting line up, he failed with his tactics, failed with his subbies. He also failed to motivate his team this afternoon. He failed to install any fight in the team.  On todays game 2/10.

Saints got EXACTLY what we  deserved this afternoon. :evil:

Now bring on the Sellic.

Positives...

Murray Davidson played well, again.

Anderson also played very well. I love him.

Swanson was clearly lacking match sharpness and familiarity with his colleagues but he's the kind of player we need. He will be a good signing.

Michael O'Halloran and Brian Graham changed the game a bit more in our favour when they came on and Queens second goal was against the run of play albeit ended the match.

I won't excuse those chants, those are idiotic. I'll excuse the ones where people were merely booing poor performances though.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the booing at the end of the game because it really was disappointing and the players will understand that but I absolutely hated listening to the booing Swanson got when he made a mistake just before he was subbed and then the ironic cheering when he went off. I read someone saying they thought the cheering was for MOH coming on but it wasn't. Fans can seriously f'ck off with that sort of stuff. Tommy Wright started Swanson and he did his best IMO. MOH should be starting games and should've been on at half time today at least but that's not Swanson's fault.

Positives from today. We had a nice day oot on the train.  We had a nice lunch and a nice we walk round Dumfries. There was a great Saints support.. It's not very often we leave early but as soon as the second went in, we were off like greyhounds to try and catch the 5.07 train ( rather than the planned 6.33) We made it with about a minute to spare. We then headed south and crossed the border into Englandshire  ( on purpose) where we changed trains at Carlisle, got on a Virgin Express and headed north at aboot 100 MPH. Got back to Perth at 8.40ish which was 2 hours quicker than we  expected.