Saints V. Aberdeen 23/1/15

glenrothes saintee

Crofts chance that came off the post - at least two yards off side. How was that not called?

Worst officials I've ever seen, all three of them. Just didn't get any decisions right. It became funny eventually when they were giving us throws that went out off our own players. Made up for all the ones we didn't get when they went out off Aberdeen players I guess. I also thought the keeper saved Spoony's shot near the beginning of the game. Kane, to me, was clearly pulled back and would've got there before the keeper had he not been. Referee was dreadful.

That was by far and a way the best i've seen us play all season. I saw us getting a doing tonight, but was great to see that despite a number of changes, we didn't look disjointed and played as a team. The pressing and harrying of them was good to see, hate how we stand off and stand off players. We started really well I thought, getting forward and not giving them too much chance to play. There were a few nervy moments with iffy backpasses, and even in midfield balls played back without looking. Not sure how we didn't get a win in the end. 

Kane was clearly pulled back, and  if he went down, prob would have got it. 

A pity we didn't get a win, but considering how poor we seemed to have been on tuesday, and considering not a first choice 11, that was pretty good going. A thoroughly enjoyable game as well, one of best ive been to. 

Edited by sjfc99

Best we've played all season. Entertainment!?

Spoony will get a bit of stick for his errors but I like him in a central position, we're a lot more positive with him in there.

Two best performances of the season from Davidson and Lappin.

Kane and MacLean looks promising.

And.....**** Aberdeen.

Amazing how fired up the team were after being called unprofessional by an opposing player in the press, absolutely pitch perfect response. Very impressed by captain McLean, good at geeing the boys up.

Kane looks a decent talent, hope Brian was taking note of how to win a header, press the ball and hold up play without having to whingeing or sitting on the ground with arms outstretched

Best we've played all season. Entertainment!?

Spoony will get a bit of stick for his errors but I like him in a central position, we're a lot more positive with him in there.

Two best performances of the season from Davidson and Lappin.

Kane and MacLean looks promising.

And.....**** Aberdeen.

spoony really irritated me tonight played so well at times and then kept making silly errors

All this negativity on here in the last 24 hours and the lads produced a great performance.  Considering three games in six days and many injuries, we were in their face and played with aggression and skill.  Kane and Macca were excellent and overall the rest put in a good shift.  We lacked an outlet in the second half at times and Mikey gave us that at the end.  Really good performance and Lappin finished really well.

Would like to see our penalty shouts again.

COYS

Best performance in a long time, which was interesting. I do wonder what happens next week, assume Mackay and Wright come back in, but what about the likes of Millar and Croft?

We still looked a bit weak at the back, especially when the ball was in the air. Gary Miller in particular gets over-powered quite a lot. Wright and Mackay completely transform that aspect though. I do quite like Lappin on the left, as he allows Easton to get forward which is a massive weapon, his crossing is brilliant aswell. Muzz was as good as he's been for years, if he keeps that up he'll be undroppable fairly quickly again. Wotherspoon remains infuriating, I understand why he does what he does, but I wish he wouldn't. Croft was brilliant first half, dreadful second half.

I like MacLean when he comes deep, he looks tremendous when asked to do that and his partnership with Kane looks really promising. As for Kane its tough to judge, he started really brightly, isn't afraid to shoot, gets stuck in, wins headers and looks good on the ball. He still seems a bit weak though, I think thats more to do with learning how to use his body than anything else though, while his fresh air swipe was horrendous, that was possibly just nerves though. He certainly showed enough to suggest he's worth developing.

Was getting ready to slash the old wrists after reading what was going to happen to us tonight. :)

If any of the top media loving teams had went into a game against Aberdeen having to make 6 changes 

• playing their 3rd game in 6 days
  • with a striker making his home debut,
  • a midfielder playing his first full match in weeks if not months,
  • a central defender playing his second game in 3 days after being out for six months
  • a captain back after months out.

their would be pages and pages written praising them to the hilt. Sadly tomorrow I reckon we will seepages about Aberdeens title hoes ending etc.

Thought Saints were superb tonight. Great advert for Scottish football.

What a fantastic game, the team was like a breath of fresh air tonight!  After the disappointment of Tuesday night I really feel we can emulate previous seasons and push on and have another positive latter part of our season. 

For me one of the most pleasing aspects of our play tonight was our final ball.  We were far superior to Aberdeen in this department and credit has to go to Lappin for the crosses he put in not to mention his work rate  and tracking back.  For me his best game in a saints shirt.  In addition to this, Muzz put in the best performance since his return from injury and Kane had a really good game.  I know its early days but Mclean and Kane have the makings of a great partnership.

Hopefully we can look forward to more of the same and I'm sure Tommy's going to have a headache in weeks to come when millar and Faddy return as to what midfield/forward combination he goes with.   

The pull back on Kane was almost identical to the one on May against Dundee United last year. Any wee touch changes the running technique. Would have to see it again though.

What a match, what a performance, ****ing love St Johnstone. Bring on Queens.