Danny Swanson

rik2304

If anybody should have been facing criticism for the QoS game then it should have been the management team. Not a player chucked into the deep end after only signing hours before.

Indeed. He was played out of position in an unfamiliar team too. He looked completely lost.

The way the club and the supporters have suported young Kane is amazing. The young lad will bang them in sooner rather than later. 

Disgusting the way Swanson was treated at Dumfries from the stories I heard.

Two games not enough to judge but very few players can score such a wonder goal and I feel TW might have reserected a very good player's career.       

Mate at the QoS game he was red faced and blowing like a Leith hoor after 10 mins. The minimum I expect of a footballer is that he keeps himself fit. If it's your job, you need to be ready to do it when required and he clearly wasn't up for it that day. Watching the highlights of the Celtic game he didn't really impress apart from the goal. It's early days yet and I haven't written the guy off but he needs to raise his game in my opinion.

It's irrelevant who is manager there. He's returning to Coventry in May and always was.

And let's not indulge in revisionism just because a player scores a screamer. There were raves about McFadden for something very similar not so long ago.

It was still - in my view - a punt to sign Swanson and it didn't pay off. But at least he's given us a very good memory by way of compensation.

How on earth can you decide the punt didn't pay off when there are several games left to go in the season and he's barely featured for us!?

Mate at the QoS game he was red faced and blowing like a Leith hoor after 10 mins. The minimum I expect of a footballer is that he keeps himself fit. If it's your job, you need to be ready to do it when required and he clearly wasn't up for it that day. Watching the highlights of the Celtic game he didn't really impress apart from the goal. It's early days yet and I haven't written the guy off but he needs to raise his game in my opinion.

fair does BC, but as other posters, the manager put him in basis what was evident on the traing ground and TW and his team got it wrong. But to give him such a crap welcome from the terraces is very unlike us for a debutant.

How on earth can you decide the punt didn't pay off when there are several games left to go in the season and he's barely featured for us!?

I referred to it as a punt because he was signed unseen and unfit hours before a deadline. I don't think it paid off because he was bought to play in the Cup and, well, lets not dwell on that.

I don't see how the fact he's barely played for us more than a month after signing undermines my point significantly.

But to be clear, I didn't decide the punt didn't pay off. I merely gave my view.

Edited by Brogan

I referred to it as a punt because he was signed unseen and unfit hours before a deadline. I don't think it paid off because he was bought to play in the Cup and, well, lets not dwell on that.

I don't see how the fact he's barely played for us more than a month after signing undermines my point significantly.

But to be clear, I didn't decide the punt didn't pay off. I merely gave my view.

Surely the time to form that view would be at the end of his loan, or at least after he's played a few more games than he has? He could yet go on to play a key part in a season that could still see us finish 4th or 5th. If that happens, surely the punt will have paid off?

I thought he played pretty well against Celtic, incidentally. He seems to have a nice touch and have good vision. And that's before even mentioning the wondergoal.

That's not my point, which was that we bought him a cup run that didn't happen. 

You're arguing something different: that there may be a benefit to his arrival in the league. And I agree. He may - and it's a pipsqueak of a possibility - make the difference between fourth and fifth or sixth and seventh. But he wasn't bought for that. (Remember we were arguably doing slightly better in the league before he arrived than we are now.)

Even if he made that modest league difference,  I'd still feel a sense of a wasted opportunity; another indication that the promised build-our-own youth policy announced last summer - which I thought made sense - had been abandoned at the first sign of a chance of climbing a single place in the league.

Swanson is here for 10 more games and then returns to Coventry. There's no long-term benefit to us, and the failure to risk our younger players in this type of late-season environment may cost us more both in terms of our own youth development, and in our attractiveness to other youngsters. 

Swanson has hinted there's a possibility that he could come back here for a longer spell if the loan deal goes well. A 4th place finish could result in European qualification. There's still plenty to play for. Given his reputation as a footballer, it seems like a potentially worthwhile piece of business as far as I'm as concerned.

Edited by The Real Saints

You're arguing something different: that there may be a benefit to his arrival in the league. And I agree. He may - and it's a pipsqueak of a possibility - make the difference between fourth and fifth or sixth and seventh. But he wasn't bought for that. (Remember we were arguably doing slightly better in the league before he arrived than we are now.)

Even if he made that modest league difference,  I'd still feel a sense of a wasted opportunity; another indication that the promised build-our-own youth policy announced last summer - which I thought made sense - had been abandoned at the first sign of a chance of climbing a single place in the league.

Swanson is here for 10 more games and then returns to Coventry. There's no long-term benefit to us, and the failure to risk our younger players in this type of late-season environment may cost us more both in terms of our own youth development, and in our attractiveness to other youngsters. 

I think we tried to run before we could walk on this front, Caddis and Brown who many thought would be main features in our team this season have proven to not be good enough at the moment, and IMO will never be. Having watched the U20s a few times apart from Kane and possibly Easton there is very little talent there right now. 

He wasn't brought in for the cup. He was brought in to add some guile to our midfield for half a season. He's done alright so far, can't grumble with his goals to games ratio!

Tommy was after him during the summer. To call him unseen is a bit harsh, he's not George Weah's brother. His ability is well known to all up here

Edited by Pat McGroin

Has Tommy Wright actually said that Swanson was brought in specifically for the Cup? Surely he was signed to give us an extra midfield option for the second half of the season, regardless of the competition?

Also, where has it been said that there is absolutely no possibility of him staying with us next season? Not saying you're wrong about these things - I just haven't seen TW make these statements anywhere.

Has Tommy Wright actually said that Swanson was brought in specifically for the Cup? Surely he was signed to give us an extra midfield option for the second half of the season, regardless of the competition?

Also, where has it been said that there is absolutely no possibility of him staying with us next season? Not saying you're wrong about these things - I just haven't seen TW make these statements anywhere.

He's said nothing - I'm just reasoning that given that Swanson isn't  even half way through a two-year deal with Coventry, Saints surely won't want to pay that off.

It's not unheard of that a player and club agree to end a contract early. If he wants to return to Scotland to get back to playing, I doubt Coventry would stand in his way. He's clearly not a major asset to their team if they've allowed him to leave for five months. People are making statements as if they are fact. Nobody knows what will happen and I too haven't seen TW state anywhere that Swanson was brought in for the cup run. He's a better "waste of a wage" than the guy he replaced.

Basically several posters have said he was shit and are incapable of admitting they might be wrong. It's what football forums are for.

What a strange post football forms are for giving your opinion. If some posts he is shite that is their opininion. No one should come on and tell them to change their mind because they disagree with the post. I for one am willing to give him time. But as I said in a previous post. The majority were praising Graham when he first arrived and others had the opposite re action. Now what is the majorities opinion. If you disagree say you disagree do not slag off others as incapable of changing their opinions because in the end you may finish up with egg on your face if he fails to impress for the remainder of his time with us.

Edited by Inchcolm

What a strange post football forms are for giving your opinion. If some posts he is shite that is their opininion. No one should come on and tell them to change their mind because they disagree with the post. I for one am willing to give him time. But as I said in a previous post. The majority were praising Graham when he first arrived and others had the opposite re action. Now what is the majorities opinion. If you disagree say you disagree do not slag off others as incapable of changing their opinions because in the end you may finish up with egg on your face if he fails to impress for the remainder of his time with us.

I have to shake my head at your comparison.

As would our resident DABs

I have to shake my head at your comparison.

As would our resident DABs

May be my post is not clear. I am not comparing Swanson to Graham I am comparing the reaction to their signings and performances after they had been with us for about a month. My point was Graham was getting praise from all corners at his start to his loan. But now not only is he getting little praise he is not getting a game. Swanson quite right is getting praise his goal against Celtic. But this does not mean he will put on a performance like this every game. My point is by the end of the season those who did not approve of the signing may be correct in their opinion if his Saints career follows Graham' route. I hope they are not.

Yes he was. He wasn't playing at all, so Stevenage didn't have to pay more money.

I think you're missing the point. Dunne was considered good enough by the management to play for Stevenage, but they couldn't afford to play him. Whereas Swansons been deemed surplus at Coventry. Dunne was still wanted, Swanson wasn't.

I imagine with Coventry getting a new manager things have changed a bit, and is Swanson becomes a key performer for us then the new man down there will want a look at him before letting him go.