Steven Maclean

Broon

Starting to get frustrated now. I want to remember Steven MacLean as a legend. A quality, intelligent footballer. Continually starting him when he's on this type of form is only going to turn the fans against him. No goals since August and he is first pick every week. Tommy owes it to him to bench him and let him build his form back from the bench with no pressure.

Took a real nasty face knock early on surprised he came out the second half to be honest, must have had at least tennis ball size bruise on his upper eye, yet he played on for the cause! be surprised if he is allowed to play next week as maybe a fracture by the look of it, That Number 5 for ICT was Brutal at the start should have been booked for his assault on Macca if not Red carded. 

Definitely frustrating watching Macca the now.

I love the guy and am willing to cut him some slack but perhaps for his own good and that of the team he needs a week or two on the bench. Or even a game in the Development League - who knows it might be a place to get him a goal and his confidence back.

There was an instance today where O'Halloran played a low ball across to Macca about 10 yards out and his manky touch took him back outside the box. An in form Macca diverts it in the far corner.

Don't be an apologist for Macca. He should be anticipating that and in form he would have swung a boot and finished it.

I'm not convinced, tbh. Maybe when I see highlights of it again I'll change my mind but even if he had anticipated it he'd have struggled to get a shot away due to the pace on it and the fact it was a yard or two behind him.

I'm not convinced, tbh. Maybe when I see highlights of it again I'll change my mind but even if he had anticipated it he'd have struggled to get a shot away due to the pace on it and the fact it was a yard or two behind him.

Not having that at all, but like you, once I've seen it again I'll know for sure. Looked very similar to his goal against Aberdeen at the start of the season to me.

Edited by lethamsaintee

Not having that at all, but like you, once I've seen it again I'll know for sure. Looked very similar to his goal against Aberdeen at the start of the season to me.

Yeah hopefully it gets shown on the highlights. The fact I sit about halfway maybe distorts my view of things slightly. 

Regardless I'd be more prone to blame O'Halloran for mucking up chances than MacLean anyway.

Yeah hopefully it gets shown on the highlights. The fact I sit about halfway maybe distorts my view of things slightly.

Regardless I'd be more prone to blame O'Halloran for mucking up chances than MacLean anyway.

Without a doubt. O'Halloran should have scored at least once yesterday. Looked like he missed from 5 yards or less at the Ormond end. His one in the first half should be at least hitting the target though it wasn't as clear cut a chance as he was under a fair bit of pressure.

But seeing as this thread is a Steven Maclean one...........

Without a doubt. O'Halloran should have scored at least once yesterday. Looked like he missed from 5 yards or less at the Ormond end. His one in the first half should be at least hitting the target though it wasn't as clear cut a chance as he was under a fair bit of pressure.

But seeing as this thread is a Steven Maclean one...........

I'm just trying to change topic as its sad whats happening to MacLean  :(  I just genuinely hope any abuse towards him doesn't affect him too much. 

Definitely frustrating watching Macca the now.

I love the guy and am willing to cut him some slack but perhaps for his own good and that of the team he needs a week or two on the bench. Or even a game in the Development League - who knows it might be a place to get him a goal and his confidence back.

There was an instance today where O'Halloran played a low ball across to Macca about 10 yards out and his manky touch took him back outside the box. An in form Macca diverts it in the far corner.

I think a Stevie May beside him takes the pressure off tbh

Even if general criticism of Maclean's form is warranted there is a little too much focus on his lack of goals.

MacLean's game is about so much more for that, in good form he could play a season for us without scoring and still be invaluable.

I agree with the people asking to rest him, just not using the lack of goals stick to hit him with.

Even if general criticism of Maclean's form is warranted there is a little too much focus on his lack of goals.

MacLean's game is about so much more for that, in good form he could play a season for us without scoring and still be invaluable.

I agree with the people asking to rest him, just not using the lack of goals stick to hit him with.

I disagree. The guy has a number 9 on his back and he plays up front. His return - in terms of goals - is dismal by any measure. Yes,  he has value in playing in others, but when we're averaging less than a goal a game, that isn't paying off either. A rest might do him good, but I worry more that he looks a yard off the pace of the game. Will that ever return?

Edited by Brogan

I honestly don't see where the feeling that MacLean is excused of any criticism comes from. People in the stands rant at Wotherspoon yet MacLean on Saturday added very little in comparison. At one point Swanson had the ball in a good crossing position but there was nobody in the box so he had to play it back down the line to, yep MacLean! He has never been a clinical forward but he should be giving more than two goals all season. He needs to at least get in the right positions to score. I also saw on at least two occasions him leaving passes short and rather than accept responsibility he had a go at other players. I do like him but he shouldn't be picked ahead of Graham at the moment in my opinion.

With the lack of goals from midfield (Spoony 1, Miller 1, Swanson, 2, Croft 0 etc.) we can't afford to have a non goalscoring forward. Very little saints attacking play comes through the centre anyway. MacLean should be sitting on the bench at the moment instead of Graham.

I thought the!re were signs on Saturday that he was getting more like himself. His game has never been about scoring ,more about holding up play & laying off. Worked well last season but we don't have anyone that can read him like May.

I thought the!re were signs on Saturday that he was getting more like himself. His game has never been about scoring ,more about holding up play & laying off. Worked well last season but we don't have anyone that can read him like May.

Fact is, If he's got no-one who can read him like May, then he's redundant. I'm not a fan of Graham, but he does a subset of MacLean's role - holding up - in a workmanlike way and while nowhere near as intelligent as Macca, he over-compensates by actually scoring goals. Given the choice - and until you can find a partner who will only thrive through MacLean's cleverness - you'd have to pick Graham ahead of MacLean.

• 3 weeks later...

Fail to see what he has done since he has came back from injury, on his last legs one would think, just drifts in and out of the game a lot. Maybe he would do better playing with another striker every game.

There's always one.

Who one earth can see fit to criticise any member of the team tonight. 4th secured, unbeaten post split and people still moan.

Edited by Pat McGroin