Steven Maclean

Broon

A good pre season will show whether his legs are starting to go or as I suspect he's just trying to get over injury at a time in the season where any are starting to tire. A good strike partner alongside him brings out the best in his link play

• 4 months later...

Dear Steven Maclean.

Apparently some fellow Saintees felt that you were losing your touch and that you were only getting a game because you were Tommy's favourite.

Thanks for proving them wrong and thanks for getting it right up the sheep today (not in a literal sense of course).

Scottish premiership top scorer too!

Yours sincerely Jazzsaint.

If any Saints fan claims they thought Maclean was worthy of a place in the team second half of last season they are a liar.

If any Saints fan claims they weren't worried Maclean had lost it they are a liar.

If any Saints fan isn't absolutely delighted at Macleans turnaround in form then they're not a really a Saints fan. 

Maclean was poor most of last season. Hate to say it. He's been outstanding this season though.  Fit, fresh, his flicks are back, his passing is sharp, he's aggressive and he's getting in the box again. When he's on form he's a superb player and he makes us tick. Keep it up!!

I thought he looked more like himself post split last season. Not like scoring, but his link up play was much better. 

Alashkert at home aside, he's been superb this season. He's got an extra yard of pace again and the partnership he's got with Cummins is incredible. 12 league goals between them so far! His game is about so much more than goals as well - he's a massive influence on the pitch  

• 2 weeks later...

Another player in the Frazer Wright mould. Would run through walls for the manager and the team. 

Just a massive guy to have in the team and when he's not, just as passionate off it. 

So many ex players regularly state that the best club they ever played for was the Sainteeees even though they supported huge clubs as kids.  

I think someone mentioned in another thread that St.Johnstone FC is club run properly from the top to the bottom. Our successful managers in recent years have reaped the benefits from this.  

It'll be a sad day for us saints fans when Macca eventually hangs up his boots.    

It'll be a sad day for us saints fans when Macca eventually hangs up his boots.    

Ach wouldnae worry too much about that, got a feeling we'll have a player called Stevie May as a straight replacement.  Seemingly the lads an unknown quantity down saar 

Macca's been brilliant for Saints. With him generally being just a passionate guy, his team talks and actually being good at his job, we got a winner. We've had a few lately as well, what with Fraz learning Turkish to wind up shifty and Captain Dave, Ando, Muzz the list goes on and on !

Macca like every other team mate in the cup winning squad  has cemented his place in St Johnstone history.

We have been lucky to have him, there are so many qualities to admire, not least his return from 2 career threatening injuries.

Personally I think he made Stevie May! 

I love his winning mentality, and how he encourages the rest of the team. His work rate is second to none! 

I will be sorry when he eventually goes!?

Macca like every other team mate in the cup winning squad  has cemented his place in St Johnstone history.

We have been lucky to have him, there are so many qualities to admire, not least his return from 2 career threatening injuries.

Personally I think he made Stevie May! 

I love his winning mentality, and how he encourages the rest of the team. His work rate is second to none! 

I will be sorry when he eventually goes!?

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Perhaps he doesn't have a Maclean type character down south to put him right and give stern but positive advice. 

I'm a huge fan of MacLean, but never thought he was the kind of player who could score as prolifically as he has so far this season.  The amazing thing is that despite getting into scoring positions more frequently (he's had as many tap-ins as good finishes to be fair), he still influences the game as much as he did when he played deeper last season.  

The other thing that amazes me about Macca is the level of sharpness and fitness he has shown from the first minute back on the pitch after those two horrific injuries.  I've never seen another player hit the ground running after months out of the game like that.

Already one of my favourite Saints players ever, and he's got plenty more to give to the team before he's done.

• 2 weeks later...

He's so confident at the moment - trying elaborate things and they seem to be coming off for him. His bit of skill to get away from two players in the corner last night was superb.

Thought he was a bit lucky his penalty went in if I'm honest - very much in the saving zone for the goalie, who guessed the right way as well, but that doesn't take anything away from his performance.

10 goals and we're not even out of October yet. Superb.

I was a bit surprised he took the penalty with Liam on the park. Imagine if Liam had taken the ball off him then missed though? Macca wouldve chased him around Greenock

He took the penalty against Hamilton with Liam on the park too - I guess he's the penalty taker this season, with Sutton, Craig and Mackay all willing to step up when necessary too.