Rate All Tommy's Signings

Mr Dennis Wise

Agree with Gazza, also heard he was signing for United. As much as I would hate it, their style of play would suit him to a tee. End of the day, Hel come back up to Scotland and get his confidence back up. And no doubt get a move to Celtic.

Also heard he was homesick, so might be the best option for him.

Theres being homesick and there's being homesick enough to see your wages drop to a third of your current level. He was dropped for two games and Sheffield Wednesday scored a grand total of 0 goals. Their fans seem to be blaming the jock for their lack of creativity.

He's played nearly every game for Wednesday!!!???

Yup. I'm having trouble working out why people repeatedly say he's out of favour there, despite the fact that he's started most games for them and was in their starting line-up again last night and also at the weekend.

If he does go anywhere it'll be to a similarly-ranked English club who can match his wages and ambitions. I can't think of a single scenario that would see him end up at Dundee United at this stage of his career.

Sheffield Wednesday are my local team here in North Sheffield and I have a couple of mates who are dyed in the wool Owls so to speak. They have been telling me all season that May has done well without hitting the onion bag too often. He is still energetic and hungry for the ball but the midfield is gash. He was unlucky on Saturday and played the whole match when the midfield appeared to gel for a change. Last night, against Ipswich, the whole team were pretty gash but May played the whole game. He has played in most games from the start and not been a sub or subbed too often. I will report how he does this Saturday, against Brighton, as I am off to see my first game of the season at Hillsborough.

From what I hear he is happy and going nowhere.

May and Dunne were huge players, who we have missed.  We have been blessed with great midfielders over the years Dino, Dasovic, Jody, Dunne and of course Midgey just now.  Quite telling that we were truly dire on Saturday with no Macca and no Millar - oh how we rely on these two players......

I wouldn't be so evangelical. Remember Dunne only played a handful of games and was decent, not brilliant, in most of them.

And it isn't that telling that we were dire on Saturday without McLean and Millar. We've been dire this seaon with them both in the team - McLean hasn't lived up to his reputation since his return - and while Millar has been great this season, we put in one of our best performances of the season against Aberdeen while he was sitting in the stand.

Back on topic

Gwion Edwards (loan) - 4/10

David Wotherspoon - 6/10

Rory Fallon - 1/10

Steve Banks - 1/10

Brian Easton - 6/10

Gary McDonald - 2/10

Scott Brown - 5/10

Sanel Jahic - 6/10

Lee Croft - 5/10

Michael O'Halloran - 7/10

Chris Iwelumo - 1/10

James Dunne (loan)  - 7/10

*** Clancy - never saw him play

Simon Lappin - 4/10

Brian Graham - 2/10

Adam Morgan (loan) - never saw him play

James McFadden - 2/10

Danny Swanson (loan) - 0/10

• 1 year later...

Gwion Edwards (loan) - 3/10

David Wotherspoon - 7/10

Rory Fallon - 1/10

Steve Banks - 3/10

Brian Easton - 8/10

Gary McDonald - 4/10

Scott Brown - 4/10

Sanel Jahic - 2/10

Lee Croft - 5/10

Michael O'Halloran - 8/10

Chris Iwelumo - 0/10

James Dunne (loan)  - 8/10

*** Clancy - 3/10

Simon Lappin - 5/10

Brian Graham - 5/10

Adam Morgan (loan) - 0/10

James McFadden - 3/10

Danny Swanson (loan) - n/a

Time to update this. 

Swanson - 9/10

Doyle - 0/10

Sutton - 2/10

Shaughnessy - 8/10

Cummins - 6/10

Fisher - 6/10

Craig - 6/10

Krachunov - 1/10

McKay - 2/10

Alston - 6/10

Coulson - 3/10

Watson - 3/10 

Foster - 8/10

Paton - 4/10

Gormley - 0/10

Let's put this into perspective;

Tommy's signings XI;

Clark *

Fisher          Foster            Shaughnessy      Easton

Dunne                

Wotherspoon                                          O'Halloran

Swanson                

Graham                 Kane*

Subs:

Banks, Lappin, Paton, Craig, Alston, Sutton, McFadden, Jahic

Let's be honest, anyone who thinks Tommy can't be trustworthy with money or think that his signing strategy is poor should really look at the bigger picture. For the resources he has had at his disposal, Tommy has done a bloody great job at bringing in decent enough quality players who have helped cemented our place in the league and consistently helped to drive us to top six and European football. Every manager brings in players who underperform (Morgan, Fallon etc) but the fact that Tommy can use his better signings (and existing players) to compensate for that shows the strength and depth in the squads he's configured over the past 3 and a half years. Not to mention the invaluable wealth of experience players like Banks and McFadden bring to the younger players, some of whom have been given first team debuts by Tommy.

*Promoted youth players

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

Notice a lot of people piled on with 0/ 10 for Chris Iwelumo. Pretty sad. The guy came here and was a model professional - okay he never set the heather on fire but his contribution and support for the team during the cup final run was outstanding. He was a very popular player in the dressing room.

I read a piece about Chris couple years back and he spoke fondly of the "great" club we have in Perth and his time there.