Scotland V N Ireland Mar 25

Carse of Gowrie Saint

For two games that shouldnt mean that much (assuming we can beat Gibraltar!) I'm surprised Strachan hasn't taken a few more to gain experience and to have a look at them.

I wonder what he'll get from seeing the likes of Berra, Greer, Fletcher, Maloney, Morrison and Steven Fletcher.

Rhodes has been due a call up....not sure on McCormack though, although it could be he's just in a very shite Fulham side and his goal tally may not be that bad.

As much as it pains me to say it Mackay-Steven & Armstrong (particularly Armstrong) should have had a call up.

Has scored more than Forrest this season?

Hardly a fair comparison. For one, Forrest has been out injured for a spell, whereas Stevie has been out of the team because he's not been good enough. Secondly, as a wide midfielder, Forrest's main role is not scoring goals, whereas May's is as a striker.

For what it's worth I don't think Forrest should be in the squad either, I was only pointing out there's a fair amount of blue-tinted specs being worn (understandable seeing as it's a Saints forum of course).

If Forrest is only in the squad because he plays for Celtic, then can someone explain why GMS and Armstrong have been left out? I'd have them both in ahead of Forrest on current form. Of course if Strachan had picked them the attitude among many would be along the lines of they only got picked because they moved to Celtic.

For two games that shouldnt mean that much (assuming we can beat Gibraltar!) I'm surprised Strachan hasn't taken a few more to gain experience and to have a look at them.

I wonder what he'll get from seeing the likes of Berra, Greer, Fletcher, Maloney, Morrison and Steven Fletcher.

Rhodes has been due a call up....not sure on McCormack though, although it could be he's just in a very shite Fulham side and his goal tally may not be that bad.

As much as it pains me to say it Mackay-Steven & Armstrong (particularly Armstrong) should have had a call up.

shouldnt mean that much? there 2must win games.

we should be picking our strongest team and with Hanley out this unfortuantely means guys like berra n greer.

as for forrest n may. i think strachan tends to show a lot of faith in guys he has and gives them a run rather than chop n change a lot

Shouldn't pain you to say it;  they are two excellent players.

Hardly a fair comparison. For one, Forrest has been out injured for a spell, whereas Stevie has been out of the team because he's not been good enough. Secondly, as a wide midfielder, Forrest's main role is not scoring goals, whereas May's is as a striker.

For what it's worth I don't think Forrest should be in the squad either, I was only pointing out there's a fair amount of blue-tinted specs being worn (understandable seeing as it's a Saints forum of course).

If Forrest is only in the squad because he plays for Celtic, then can someone explain why GMS and Armstrong have been left out? I'd have them both in ahead of Forrest on current form. Of course if Strachan had picked them the attitude among many would be along the lines of they only got picked because they moved to Celtic.

You confirm my point by saying he's been out injured andthere's nothing more I'd like to see than a Fit "on form" Forrest back to his best in a Scotland strip.

However, don't think his time is now.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Poor game. Scotland possession football was good but the build up play wasn't quick enough. I expect an earlier goal would have drawn Ireland out of their shell a little. Was disappointed how they were prepared to sit deep and defend though considering it was a friendly and both teams were weakened significantly.

Wasn't overly impressed by Ritchie, he's not much better or different to what we already have in those positions. The two central midfielders Fletcher and McArthur were solid in possession. Anya had countless chances and looks our biggest creative threat. The defence and goalkeeper hardly had a touch.

Easy, and a little pointless, game.

Never understand folk who say that international friendlies are pointless?

the manager rarely gets his squad together so without friendlies hed be giving guys debuts in vital matches.

agree with broons assessment of the game but we did find out that forsyth is a better back up to robertson than whittaker as hes naturally left footed. D Fletcher is back to his best. McArthur was impressive. both must be close to a start. Ritchie did ok for his 1st match and with snodgrass out this is a position thats up for grabs. 

think strachan will go with the following for gibraltar

Marshall

Hutton Martin Greer Robertson

Morrison Brown

Maloney    Naismith       Anya

Fletcher