The Manager's Message - Monday 16Th March

The Mighty Quinn

Saturday’s result at Firhill certainly wasn’t the one we had hoped for but when you don’t start a game well it makes it very difficult.

We had enough possession during the game but I feel we didn’t get enough early crosses in and on one of the few occasions that we did, it created a good chance for Michael O’Halloran which unfortunately he couldn’t take.

Ultimately, we defended three set plays very poorly and that cost us the chance of taking anything from the game. To be fair to the boys, it’s not like us to lose those sorts of goals so we have to hope that it was a blip on Saturday and we move on.

Points-wise, before Celtic and Partick Thistle we were on 38 points and I think most of us would have settled for 41 after these two game but after the success at Parkhead, there’s inevitably a bit of disappointment.

However, this is no time for negativity to creep in. We have a home game coming up against St Mirren and it will be a massive three points on Saturday so please come along and give the boys your backing, the way you have throughout the campaign.

Thank you for your support

Tommy Wright

Manager St Johnstone FC

I think it is just for season ticket holder who the club have an email address for.

Anyone can get them, not just season ticket holders. Contact the club saying you'd like to be added to the mailing list and you should start getting them. They always end up in my spam folder, so you might be getting them already without noticing!

Good, frank, honest enough message covering the positives and negatives of the last few games.

There is a deeper under tone to this message though in my opinion, with the run up to the split and end of the season it is vital if we are to have any glimmer of success this campaign to pick these points up.

Beyond that What Brown and Wright do in the close season transfer market is crucial for next year with the introduction of what look like two very good teams now.

You've got to expect Hibs to come up with Hearts, both teams who have gone down, consolidated in the correct way and are producing football beyond what half of the Premier Division is managing to do. Combined with the confidence that comes from winning ways, both could be force to be reconned with next season in the same way Dundee and Hamilton have produced. 

Since when should games against St Mirren or any other team who are at the bottom of the league be a massive 3 points for us, (unless we are in a dog fight at the bottom of the table with them) and that's what I feel Tommy is in fear of. Not that suddenly we find ourselves in the relegation battle, but that we find ourselves in the bottom of the table after the split, when lethargy, falling crowds, ergo cash revenues creep in.

Does he consolidate with what we have, build the team up again around the youngsters in hope that next season they click and gel, as we have had glimpses of this season, or does he get to go shopping and Brown has to bite the financial bullet to build on what we have with the introduction of 3 - 4 quality players.

After the last few seasons, Brown and Wright should both be well aware that the team are expected to perform at a consistently higher level than they have been by the support. That the big European nights are now a pre requisite to the start of the season, anything less is a disappointment and after the Scottish Cup win a modicum of success is demanded not expected.

The close season is going to be very interesting for us as a club to see where their aspirations lye. To be competitive with the top clubs, no more "punching above our status" as we have been labelled in seasons past, or to be happy and content is the mid table doldrums with the other little fish.

I know where I want to be !!!

COYS !!!!!!! :cool:        

Edited by sainties sheep

Pat McGroin, on 17 Mar 2015 - 13:15, said:

The reason Hibs and Hearts are playing better football is that they'll be paying out more on players than anyone outside of Celtic and Aberdeen , possibly United and they're up against a lower standard of team.

Do you know they're paying out more or are you surmising ?

LOWER STANDARD OF TEAM ! Exactly you hit the nail on the head. That's the point I'm making.

Of course we performed so well against what you quote as "lower standard of team this season, we thrashed both Rangers and QoS didn't we !

So, what's your reasoning then behind the performance of Dundee and Hamilton then this season then in the Premier League?

League positions and points don't lie, don't make up the rest in what you don't know in the way of guessing of wages.

Question to ponder before you bite.

Does higher pay = a better player ?

:cool:

Edited by sainties sheep

Do you know they're paying out more or are you surmising ?

LOWER STANDARD OF TEAM ! Exactly you hit the nail on the head. That's the point I'm making.

Of course we performed so well against what you quote as "lower standard of team this season, we thrashed both Rangers and QoS didn't we !

So, what's your reasoning then behind the performance of Dundee and Hamilton then this season then in the Premier League?

League positions and points don't lie, don't make up the rest in what you don't know in the way of guessing of wages.

Question to ponder before you bite.

Does higher pay = a better player ?

:cool:

Such a mish-mash that I'm struggling to reply. Hearts invested massively over the summer. Hamilton are in free fall without Neil and Andreu. Dundee are roundabout where I'd expect them to be.

Excluding Rangers (who are spending more than anyone but Celtic) we've lost 1 game to lower league teams out of something like 40 or 50. You have to go back years and years to the last time that happened.

Hibs went down despite having one of the biggest budgets in the league. If you could be arsed trawling through published accounts you'd see that. Can't see that having changed much over the past year. Stubbs has been given money and guys like Scott Allan will be on good salaries.

Anyone can get them, not just season ticket holders. Contact the club saying you'd like to be added to the mailing list and you should start getting them. They always end up in my spam folder, so you might be getting them already without noticing!

I get plenty of emails about Ladies day, mothers day and christmas - I must be on some form of their mailing list but never had the managers one.

"Manager's Message" emails have been arriving quite regularly this season - usually about a couple of day's after the last game.

Always good to get Tommy's opinion and perspective of the match of course.

Not sure -- but it's possible that these emails maybe only get sent out by the Club to the Season Ticket "list".

Would maybe account for why some folks' on the Forum don't receive them.