Dundee United Are Shite!

Jimmy Wallace

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Do you think so? If Dundee United suddenly didn't exist, maybe we'd pick up a few of their fans!

TBH it seems to be very rare that clubs completely vanish nowadays. I'm sure if United went out of business someone would re-launch the club with a slightly different name and they'd start again from the bottom.

They’ve already done that. Until 1923, they were Dundee Hibernian.

15 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Do you think so? If Dundee United suddenly didn't exist, maybe we'd pick up a few of their fans!

TBH it seems to be very rare that clubs completely vanish nowadays. I'm sure if United went out of business someone would re-launch the club with a slightly different name and they'd start again from the bottom.

Maybe gain a fan or 2, (I can think of one who might be tempted:wink:)  but you would miss the 3k paying fans twice a season much more!  

I agree football clubs are among the most resilient institutions/businesses around.  It is indeed rare for them to vanish. Third Lanark, Clydebank are the exception s that rather prove the rule.

8 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Maybe gain a fan or 2, (I can think of one who might be tempted:wink:)  but you would miss the 3k paying fans twice a season much more!  

Saints and United have been in different divisions loads of times (including four of the last five years) and I can't remember it ever doing us much harm. I think Saints would be just fine (Sevco fans made the same argument when they disappeared out of the league, but Saints and some other similarly sized clubs actually thrived during that period). What I don't understand is why United always seem to have more financial difficulty than us, despite having a much bigger support.

Fair enough BH Utd vanishing would not be a decisive factor, but ask your chairman (if he’s sobered up after last Sunday’s celebrations:wink:)  if he’d rather have us in the league or out of the league?  A top tier containing the Dundee clubs is probably worth a couple of players to Saints.  Plus It’s the nearest you ever get to a derby!

On 3/9/2021 at 1:54 PM, Abernethy Saint said:

They’ve already done that. Until 1923, they were Dundee Hibernian.

We changed our name, all debts paid and no record of any objections.  All above board.  I see you still use your platform to advertise a sex pest :shock: dear dear, have some humility! 

Edited by Smarmy Arab

2 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Fair enough BH Utd vanishing would not be a decisive factor, but ask your chairman (if he’s sobered up after last Sunday’s celebrations:wink:)  if he’d rather have us in the league or out of the league?  A top tier containing the Dundee clubs is probably worth a couple of players to Saints.  Plus It’s the nearest you ever get to a derby!

Said it before rather hae 2 Dundee clubs instead o the likes of Hammy Fakes

12 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Well yeah, no doubt about it, Steve Brown would rather have the teams in the league that bring bigger crowds. My issue is more with any assumption that removing a couple of the better-supported clubs from the league creates a major issue for Saints. I think at one point we had Hearts, Hibs and Sevco all in the lower leagues at the same time, and while all that was happening Saints were having one of our most successful ever seasons and bringing in our highest crowds in quite some time. So you have to balance the loss of a couple of bumper away crowds per year, with the gain of growing the home support with increased success on the pitch.

From a completely biased point of view my personal preference would always be to have as many east coast or Highland clubs in the top division as possible. If Rangers, Celtic, St Mirren, Motherwell, Hamilton and Kilmarnock could be replaced with Hearts, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, Dundee, Arbroath and ICT, I'd be pretty happy with that (well, maybe not Dundee, but you get the idea!).

That’s all true, maybe I’m biased because for me Saints Utd are one of the noisiest and colourful fixtures on the card, any fixture list without a them is much diminished.    I like the new LC format for this reason at least an effort to promote local rivalry in the summer months.  

the point I was making at the start was that if Utd vanished completely or Dee for that matter, a significant revenue stream would cease to have any potential n the decades ahead, I don’t think any club can welcome such an outcome....especially Saints who’s financial model has fine margins, even during the most successful period in their history.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:02 AM, Smarmy Arab said:

That’s all true, maybe I’m biased because for me Saints Utd are one of the noisiest and colourful fixtures on the card, any fixture list without a them is much diminished.    I like the new LC format for this reason at least an effort to promote local rivalry in the summer months.  

the point I was making at the start was that if Utd vanished completely or Dee for that matter, a significant revenue stream would cease to have any potential n the decades ahead, I don’t think any club can welcome such an outcome....especially Saints who’s financial model has fine margins, even during the most successful period in their history.

With both Dundee & United both in financial difficulty would it not be an idea for them to unite and call themselves Dundee United.

Well, some people who don’t understand football might apply some sort of misplaced market logic to the situation and argue for that.  Others might be so consumed by bitterness that they would take a perverse pleasure in such an outcome, but not many fans of either club would want this to happen.  What do you think Cagey?

1 hour ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Well, some people who don’t understand football might apply some sort of misplaced market logic to the situation and argue for that.  Others might be so consumed by bitterness that they would take a perverse pleasure in such an outcome, but not many fans of either club would want this to happen.  What do you think Cagey?

I'd agree that fans are never going to want a merger - but it does sometimes surprise me a little that after all these years the two Dundee clubs are still playing at separate grounds. Feels like both clubs have wasted a helluva lot of money over the years making two neighbouring stadiums adequate, instead of creating one really good stadium for them both to play in.

4 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

The fans will never accept it or ground sharing as mentioned by blue heaven.

That doesn't mean it is not the best option for both clubs.

Don't think I would accept a merger with another Tayside club but then we are not in financial strait's.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

The fans will never accept it or ground sharing as mentioned by blue heaven.

That doesn't mean it is not the best option for both clubs.

Don't think I would accept a merger with another Tayside club but then we are not in financial strait's.

Not convinced a merger would be the best option for both clubs. Depends what the objective is though, I suppose.

I think a ground-share is a bit different though. Would fans really have a major issue with it, if it meant getting a far better stadium that could boost the prospects of both clubs? Dundee as a city really should have a better stadium than it does.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

ANOTHER game where Mellon criticised the Ref.

Doncaster apparently want him. Hope not as he will keep United in bottom 6 as it's doubtful they will have another good start to the season that saw them end up safe.

I’d give Mellon 8/10 for his first season.  

Main  objective was to stay up, achieved comfortably, missed out on top 6 by a couple of points, but never looked in real danger of the drop.  

Had to shore up a weak central defence for most of the season, and did so, not pretty but effective.

Started with a squad mostly inherited, lacking in experience in this division, his key signings were Edwards, Fuchs and McNulty all made solid contribution over the season, one for each department, a good return.  Not fair to make harsh judgements after just 2 Covid windows.  

Getting the best out of Clark, Pawlett, Sporle, Robson, Butcher and Smith (good break through season for Chalmers interrupted by injury)

Needs to get more from Shanks, Harkes and Apere.

Goalkeeper was exceptional, we’ll be fortunate to keep him, but could cash in and help with next seasons budgets.......Ledger still a worry, that’s for the chairman to work out he still claims to be working to a 5 year plan on schedule, time will tell if deferred wage deals etc will come back to bite us with next seasons resources now being finalised. 

After 4 seasons down most Arabs will be reasonably happy, we have actually finished looking as strong as we have this season, a wee cup run would be a bonus! 

I can understand why other clubs might be interested in MM, talks the talk and navigated a difficult season very well. 

Edited by Smarmy Arab