Select One Player From...

THE LARK SAINT

Your time as a Saints fan who has been A a successful signing and a few lines on why you liked him

And B a Signing that was a flop and why you couldn't wait to see the back of them

For me Steven Anderson

Started of as a bit of a bombscare and was not an original favourite of mine,but he has proven to be a very successful Saint and Cup Winner to boot

My choice for can't wait to see the back of is former Manager Billy Stark,Not his fault really, came in when Tommy Burns turned us down and was always on a hiding to nothing, slagged the fan base crap signings,crap subs and tactics

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

Dave MacKay - surely one of the best value for money signings (I.e. Not a free) in Scottish football. An outstanding servant to the club, with an A1 attitude at all times.

Rory Fallon is the worst signing I can think of. A panic buy that backfired almost every time he set foot on the pitch. Genuinely awful footballer.

Good Guy -

Steven Anderson. He's a Saintee like you and me. Who'd have thought he would still be here yet, a stalwart, back when he was being played at right back under Connolly?

Then he goes and scores our opening goal in our first ever Scottish Cup Final. Hope he's here another decade!

W.A.N.K.

Am I only really allowed to pick one? I'm gonna plump for David Hannah. An absolute abomination of a footballer. Summed up everything that was wrong with Saints in that era. Couldn't pass, tackle or shoot. Just a complete waste of a shirt.

Am I only really allowed to pick one? I'm gonna plump for David Hannah. An absolute abomination of a footballer. Summed up everything that was wrong with Saints in that era. Couldn't pass, tackle or shoot. Just a complete waste of a shirt.

I would be inclined to agree with you....if it wasn't for his wee shimmy dance on the touchline at 'Accies. I thought it was hilarious. 

Ando's already been done a couple of times, so I'll go with

A. Michael Duberry. The very reason I believe Ando has gone on the be such a mainstay. 

B. Wow. Decisions, decisions. John Henry Kevin Fotheringham David Cowan Neil Janczyk Alan Mahood John Connolly (As a manager).

Showing my age here, but:

A.  John Brogan.  The king of goals - would have loved to see him in today's (full-time) team.

B.  John Kennedy.  A centre-half that Rennie was after for a while before signing him.  He dispaced Big Drew Rutherford (who would be 2nd choice for my A answer) for a few games before Rennie realised his best postition was on Blackpool beach.

A. Sergie Baltacha - couldn't believe when I heard that we had signed a Russian! It seemed such a massive deal at the time that we had a foreigner, and former internationalist, in our team, and he was one hell of a player

B. Sam Parkin - to be fair to him, he was far from the worst player ever to play for us, but I don't think any other player has ever got me so bloody frustrated

I am really showing my age here!

John Connolly may not have set the heather on fire as a manager but he was, without doubt, an extremely gifted footballer who could walk into any Saints team of any generation.

I was thinking about Sandy Clark for b, but John McLelland just shades it. Clueless.

Edited by Saintdunc

A. Jody Morris-never thought saints would sign such a big name and he was a class act. not the usual end their career just up to take it easy etc. never gave the ball away

B. Dyron Daal. not 1 goal not 1 decent performance

Are you forgetting his incredible display at Brechin in a friendly, where he scored a hat-trick despite having been subbed off for being gash?

(a) John Brogan    great striker and his goals made it easier for the rest of the team to play well.An infectious character in the dressing room too.Great asset.

(B) Darren Jackson   a good player who was way past his sell by date when he waddled into Perth. To be fair I could list plenty for both categories.

Have to agree with Ed, Sergai was the greatest. What fitba vision he had, beautiful passes and a nice man.

I wish I could obliterate Billy Stark from my memory banks. Old age might do it for me. I just hated, and I don't use that word often, the way he used to count the blades of grass in front of the dug out with his arms crossed. I like to see emotion from the management team.

A: Hard to choose just one......but I'll take Paul Cherry. Never forget the game at Cliftonhill when we were getting beaten and he almost single-handedly got us back into it. Can't leave out his man of the match at Parkhead when we almost did old Rangers in the semi.....

B: Close between a lot of duds.....but my all time dud is John Davies.....£175 000 and he was GASH..... 

Alan Mannus - It's easy to take having a good keeper for granted. It's no coincidence our good form over the last few years coincide with him joining the club. Even this year, we'd be in deep trouble without a good defence/keeper. We're very lucky to have him.

Gary McDonald - My heart used to sink every time I saw his name on the team sheet (which was every bloody week). We've had worse players but in terms of number of starts and somehow being a favourite of TW used to infuriate me. He literally used to hide, couldn't pass and was just rubbish. The amount of times the BBC used to describe him as a box-to-box goalscoring midfielder didn't help my opinion of him. 

I think I could justifiably go for the same person in both categories. John Connolly is undoubtedly one of the most talented players ever to pull on a Saints top. Unfortunately as a manager he was feckin useless. Without a doubt Geoff Browns biggest mistake but I personally don't hold it against him as he was doing what we the fans (myself included) wanted. Speaking personally I have airbrushed that season from my memory as I prefer to remember the "good" JC

Going to try and avoid players that have been done so...

Jason Scotland - Owen Coyle gets much credit for turning the fortunes of Saints around and laying the foundation for what we see today, but his biggest masterstroke was signing Jason Scotland early on in his Saints career. Top scorer in his first season and goals at home to United, away to Motherwell, in the League Cup semi final against Hibs and away to Hamilton on the last day. Just a big game player and a cult hero to boot.

Worst - Michael McGovern, 1 game, 2 mistakes, ultimately cost us the league, ex Celtic and now denying Mannus the chance to play against Scotland for his national side. Not a very good track record at all.