John Sutton ?

ancientsaint

Motherwell fans dont seem that upset that he is leaving.

I understand that every squad needs experience and that John Sutton is a proven goalscorer at the top level in Scotland, however I just worry that by bringing in the likes of Sutton, Faddy etc, we are stunting the development of the likes of Chris Kane. Sure he will learn from them in training, but the place where Chris Kane will really learn is being on the pitch.

Motherwell are getting rid of Sutton as they are putting their faith in their young striker Lee Erwin who looks a great prospect and is scoring goals. Look at Dundee, Hartley has put his faith in Greg Stewart and he was nominated for Player of the Year. Likewise, Dundee United have put their faith in numerous young lads (Roberston, Gauld,GMS) in recent seasons and these guys have stepped up to the plate and moved onto greater things.

Im not criticising the possible signing of John Sutton. The fact he is a proven goalscorer in Scotland is a major plus, however I just worry that despite Tommy Wright and Steve Brown making big noises last summer about putting our faith in youth, that hasnt really happened. Sure Scott Brown, Chris Kane and Liam Caddis have played a few games, but they have not consistently been selected. I understand Tommy Wright is in a results industry and if results are not favourable, then he will lose his job, but Tommy and the Chairman cant make noises about putting their faith in youth one year, then go against that statement a few months later. Look at last week against ICT, James McFadden was brough on instead of Chris Kane. McFadden has offerred very little since joining the club and is most likely to be binned at the end of the season, where as Kane has shown real potential both during his loan spells at Dumbarton and the games he has played for us. I found that really bizarre.

In summary, the club has got to be clear on what their strategy is going forward. Personally I would rather see us putting our faith in our younger players and trying to sign younger players from other clubs, who would view St Johnstone as stepping stone and who we would hopefully be able to sell on for a decent profit after a few years, than bringing in the likes of McFadden and Sutton, who are the wrong side of 30, injury prone and who ultimately will only take a wage out of the club and will have no resale value.

I wondered what another Motherwell striker - Scott Macdonald's - situation is after the summer. If 'Well go down is he going to stick around? Unlikely. Probably on too much money but still, he'd be a great shout.

I get the feeling Motherwell only got him because his past with them. Have to imagine he fancies one final crack at England

I wondered what another Motherwell striker - Scott Macdonald's - situation is after the summer. If 'Well go down is he going to stick around? Unlikely. Probably on too much money but still, he'd be a great shout.

Macdonald is signed to the end of the season and is 4 months older than Sutton.

Macdonald is signed to the end of the season and is 4 months older than Sutton.

Exactly what I was just thinking!

Sutton is 31!!

Hardly ancient. Look at the age of some in our squad!

Writing him off at that age is quite harsh. In a relegation battle hes still scored enough to be our top scorer this season. (11 league goals)

Don't see why we can turn our nose up at that.

Exactly what I was just thinking!

Sutton is 31!!

Hardly ancient. Look at the age of some in our squad!

Writing him off at that age is quite harsh. In a relegation battle hes still scored enough to be our top scorer this season. (11 league goals)

Don't see why we can turn our nose up at that.

Cause, you know, we're way above John Sutton.

We should sign Harry Kane or Aguero. Maybe even Costa. We'd have to get Caddis off the wage bill though.

I get the feeling Motherwell only got him because his past with them. Have to imagine he fancies one final crack at England

The connection obviously helps, but is he going to get another crack down south? Perhaps. He's scored 5 goals in 10 games for a garbage Motherwell team since he came in. Sutton has 11 this season in the same dreadful side, which is better than any of our guys have managed. He's certainly worth a punt IMO, as long as it is balanced by getting younger players such as Kane bedded into the side.

Motherwell fans dont seem that upset that he is leaving.

I understand that every squad needs experience and that John Sutton is a proven goalscorer at the top level in Scotland, however I just worry that by bringing in the likes of Sutton, Faddy etc, we are stunting the development of the likes of Chris Kane. Sure he will learn from them in training, but the place where Chris Kane will really learn is being on the pitch.

Motherwell are getting rid of Sutton as they are putting their faith in their young striker Lee Erwin who looks a great prospect and is scoring goals. Look at Dundee, Hartley has put his faith in Greg Stewart and he was nominated for Player of the Year. Likewise, Dundee United have put their faith in numerous young lads (Roberston, Gauld,GMS) in recent seasons and these guys have stepped up to the plate and moved onto greater things.

Im not criticising the possible signing of John Sutton. The fact he is a proven goalscorer in Scotland is a major plus, however I just worry that despite Tommy Wright and Steve Brown making big noises last summer about putting our faith in youth, that hasnt really happened. Sure Scott Brown, Chris Kane and Liam Caddis have played a few games, but they have not consistently been selected. I understand Tommy Wright is in a results industry and if results are not favourable, then he will lose his job, but Tommy and the Chairman cant make noises about putting their faith in youth one year, then go against that statement a few months later. Look at last week against ICT, James McFadden was brough on instead of Chris Kane. McFadden has offerred very little since joining the club and is most likely to be binned at the end of the season, where as Kane has shown real potential both during his loan spells at Dumbarton and the games he has played for us. I found that really bizarre.

In summary, the club has got to be clear on what their strategy is going forward. Personally I would rather see us putting our faith in our younger players and trying to sign younger players from other clubs, who would view St Johnstone as stepping stone and who we would hopefully be able to sell on for a decent profit after a few years, than bringing in the likes of McFadden and Sutton, who are the wrong side of 30, injury prone and who ultimately will only take a wage out of the club and will have no resale value.

I think you have to have a mix, you cant just stock up on youngsters. I think we plan on having four strikers next year, two older reliable ones and two youngers ones with potential, and i think thats probably the best way to operate. MacLean, Sutton, Kane and another younger option would be perfect i reckon.

I think you have to have a mix, you cant just stock up on youngsters. I think we plan on having four strikers next year, two older reliable ones and two youngers ones with potential, and i think thats probably the best way to operate. MacLean, Sutton, Kane and another younger option would be perfect i reckon.

would you have macca and Sutton in the same starting line up though?