Pre Season Friendlies 2015

lethamsaintee

Dylan Easton will be allowed to leave before the end of the window in my opinion. Guess there was always going to be a reason a player with his talent was released by Livingston.

I thought Saints did fine today and that the manager will know nine of the eleven starters for next week. It'll then be whether he goes with Wright or Scobbie and then the final midfielder or striker.

We sign a big cf whos strength is in the air.

We didnt put a decent cross into him all afternoon.

But we did try and play him through on goal over the top twice though...?

Very impressed by Thomson. Has Scott Brown lost a bit of weight? Looked less hefty when he came on today.

Edited by PerthSeany

Sutton really needs crosses into the box to be of any great use. At the moment, we dont seem to have the players who will do that. I suppose that's one of the reasons Wright still says he would like to add a wide player.

Shame about Easton, he does have quality and that type of game would be ideal for the young lads wanting to make an impression, much like Thomson did when he came on.

Pre season is what pre season is. Mainly crap entertainment wise and more for the players than the fans. Todays game  fitted squarely in that  bracket.  some positives and some negatives but most of the negatives at least are not new. 1st half we lacked creativity , looked slow, were short of ideas and generally we were uninspiring. A few of the players  looked as poor as they have been previously . Spoony in particular was pish.

2nd half, a few changes and  we suddenly looked much better.  Young Thomson had a stormer when he came on. Kano  did more  work in 10 minutes than the two strikers had done all game and as a team we got right into them. Liam had two good chances and really should have scored the first one but the result  really does not matter.

A worthwhile workout and hopefully the manager knows his best starting 11 now.  For me ( this won't happen though) Spoony needs benched. for the Jambos game.

All in all I am reasonably happy going into the Hearts game though.... :razz:

I thought Saints were hellish ,and I do hope Liam Craig proves me wrong in saying that he's not the answer to our lack of threat up front where we have no idea where the goal is .

#worried.

I thought Craig played well today and was a tad unlucky not to get a goal Rickardo.  Faded a bit near the end but his passing and movement were decent ...  Don't worry :wink:

Has Dylan Easton had any game time this pre-season, or is he injured?

Sure he played in the Oban Tournament, judging by the highlights. Only noticeable thing he done was overplay it on his own 16 yard line, lose the ball then watch as the striker scored. 

Looks a pretty safe bet he'll be released by the end of the season at most, frustrating as he clearly has the talent.

I thought Craig played well today and was a tad unlucky not to get a goal Rickardo.  Faded a bit near the end but his passing and movement were decent ...  Don't worry :wink:

Sorry but never noticed his decent passing or movement ,as for unlucky not to get a goal am saying feck all .

Sorry but never noticed his decent passing or movement ,as for unlucky not to get a goal am saying feck all .

You must have been watching a different game from me. First half Midge & him controlled midfield. Lost effectiveness when he moved out left to replace the injured O'Halloran.

Craig missed 2 great chances to equalize. Sutton lacks pace & was practically static. The goal was against the run of play. We definitely looked more dangerous when Kane, McLean & young Craig Thomson came on. He caused them a few problems. TW was saying he's happy with his striking options, well only when the real action begins will we know if our strikers are up to the task. Graham will definitely be a loss. TW says he's speaking to Mowbray again this week about Swanson but I can't see them letting him go until he's had a chance at re-establishing himself in their 1st team. Perhaps we'll have to look elsewhere for a wide player in the meantime.

Well its been one piss poor pre season friendly run outs and Europa run. Fearing the start of the season is coming too soon, haven't enjoyed anything so far.. when will the team gel? Really hope that its not a slow start to the league while we create hee haw and score very few. I'm nervous!

Dave I don't think the team hasn't gelled. That wasn't the issue for me yesterday. We just still lack a spark. I do agree that we looked better once Thomson, McLean and Kane came on but Swanson would be the last piece of the puzzle in terms of linking the midfield to the strikers. Craig Thomson did not look out of place at all yesterday though. Great option to have already here!

Sure he played in the Oban Tournament, judging by the highlights. Only noticeable thing he done was overplay it on his own 16 yard line, lose the ball then watch as the striker scored. 

Looks a pretty safe bet he'll be released by the end of the season at most, frustrating as he clearly has the talent.

He did play at Oban. He was one of our best players there but as I said in another post he has a bit of cockiness about him. Maybe not a bad thing to have, however he has a tendency as you say to do one thing too many, lose the ball and then stand there looking annoyed. Had really hoped he would realise that if he knuckles down, listens to what the coaches are telling him then he could and should be knocking on the first team door. But I tend to agree with you and think he will be shown the door if he doesn't wake up

I don't think any player in any sport can play with the same commitment and intensity in a non-competitive match, except perhaps youngsters who are it as their big opportunity to impress.

Added to this would have been a clear instruction from TW not to pick up unnecessary injuries.

The Euro games were a disappointment for sure, but the pre-season games since then, with half the squad injured and the rest protecting themselves from injury - not a marker for the hertz game IMO.

'mon Saints, 2-1 win.

I thought Liam had a decent first half against Blackpool. Was always looking for the ball, had one great track back where their forward put it past Easton and Liam appeared to mop it up. Okay, he fell out of it a bit in the second (possibly due to the ball going through Brown more) and maybe he could have scored, but for both chances, he was there, and the keeper did have to save them. He never hides...something that a lot of Hibs fans said in his defence when things weren't going so well for him at Easter Road

Thought Brown looked good when he came on. Scobbie looked class at center half, and I liked Brad playing at right back...he looks quality both there and in the middle. Never saw much in Shaunessy at all tbh. 

I like Spoony, but Thomson must have put himself in the frame for taking his starting spot next weekend. Kane worked hard, but had one really, really poor effort at goal where he chose to shoot when perhaps other options were on, and the shot was a half-hearted slice. He will be fine though.

People are slating Sutton, but, for me, the issue is that we did not once play to the strengths that Sutton has. He had a couple of good headers, including a lovely back flick from a cross to I think MOH, but he will not score goals unless we give him the right kind of chances - we all knew that, it isn't something that has come as a surprise.

Good to see Midge play practically the full game,and had a laugh when he came off with a couple of minutes to go and his first words to Callum were "i'm f****d"......

First chance I have had to see Cummins. His first couple of contributions were decent, and I thought, here we go....but then he got gradually less and less influencial and didn't see much to get excited about at all. Just one game though, and he will still be settling in.

For Hearts game, I would be happy with

Mannus

Brad                             Scobbie                 Wright              Easton

Midge              Brown             Liam       

Thomson                                                                              MOH

Sutton                            

If its not working with Sutton, make the change to Kane as early as half time. Let Thomson run himself into the ground and work their full back, then you have Spoony to come on. Rodger provides CH cover and Shaunessy full back cover on the bench.