Alashkert V Saints. Europa League Q1.. 1St Leg, Thurs 2Nd July

I hope I can get a dodgy internet stream for this one. If you are going I salute you ( and secretly hate you.  ;-)   )

As long as we approach this game in a professional manner and everyone does their job, we will win, I am sure. Hard work required though.

Team wise I have no idea whatsoever other than mannus in goal..

Come on Saints ..

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

Frustrating thing is that Maclean is guaranteed a start even though he hasn't contributed anything in over a year

I hope he can find his form again quickly and do well this season. It would be a real real shame to see him just fade away having previously been such a consistent and influential player before that injury.

Mannus

Shaugnessey McKay wright Easton

Millar Lappin

Wotherspoon. Davidson. O'halloran

Sutton

Frustrating thing is that Maclean is guaranteed a start even though he hasn't contributed anything in over a year

"over a year"?

That would go back as far as May 2014 at least.

Believe he made some kind of contribution in a fixture played on 17th May last year, or did I just dream this up?

Incase nobody has caught on yet Widge's post regarding McGregor was nothing more than a wind-up. A few here took the bite

Maccas space making, hold up play and leadership on the park is exactly why he should play. As a defender he is a mare to play against because he is always on the move linking play and being a general moaning barsteward! As a team mate he runs through the proverbial brick wall and puts his body on the line to win for you.

Edited by sasha

I would imagine the team we see tomorrow against Aberdeen will be a reflection of what to expect on Thursday night. Part of me thinks Frazer Wright will be the central defender TW chooses to lead the defence for the away leg in particular if Ando is indeed unavailable. I really can't see him putting in the two new boys alongside Scobbie. I am expecting both teams to field full first teams tomorrow to get the players who will play on Thursday night and didn't necessarily play much in the other friendlies some match practice. Aberdeen are also clearly much tougher competition than we faced in NI. So we will have a better idea tomorrow night. If I were to hazard a guess now I would go with...

Mannus

Shaughnessy McKay Wright Easton

Wotherspoon Millar Davidson O'Halloran

MacLean

Sutton/Kane

I think we will see Macca play but sit deeper as has become the norm. TW may choose to go with Macca up top on his own although I think he's not capable enough of leading the line on his own anymore. It certainly won't produce goals as we saw last season and the only actual midfielder I think would easily a slot into a midfield five is Swanson who is no longer with us. So I would prefer to see us play two strikers with one dropping back a bit if need be.

If Anderson is somehow miraculously able to play he would go in alongside Wright for me. Wherever possible I think TW will try to keep a central defensive pair that actually played together last season at some point.

Edited by SaintSam1884

I guess the problem with a Mclean is, previously he was a certain starter as his link up play was terrific! He may have not scored many but he created for others! Now though he's neither scoring or creating which is a big concern!

As a striker he needs to be doing at least of the above

This year will be a big season for him, especially with competition for places!

Believe he made some kind of contribution in a fixture played on 17th May last year, or did I just dream this up?

You're underling Franco's point. That was over a year ago. He's done precious little since.

Now I like MacLean's intelligence and with the right partner he may come good again, but I'd agree that it's odd that he doesn't seem to be held to the same standards as other players whose form dipped in places last year - e.g. Brown, Croft, McFadden, Graham - all of whom were dropped when they weren't playing well (and even sometimes when they were). And I'm not sure that keeping him in the team when he did nothing was great for his own confidence. 

From the videos I've seen their defence looks iffy at best. While we will want to sit in and get a feel for what they have by way of a goal threat, we can hit them hard on the counter. I'd be happier with O'Halloran Sutton and Kane and leave Macca out, as he's not best suited to the counter attack approach. We need pace and defence terrorising.

1. Alan Mannus (33)

12. Zander Clark (23)

30. Mark Hurst (19)

3. Tam Scobbie (27)

5. Frazer Wright (35)

6. Steven Anderson (29)

14. Joe Shaughnessy (23)

15. Brad McKay (22)

16. Liam Caddis (21)

23. Gareth Rodger (21)

24. Brian Easton (27)

28. Ally Gilchrist (20)