Saints V Alashkert Europa League Q1 2Nd Leg Thurs 9Th July 2015

Personally I don't see how that team is any better than the one Tommy picked. There's no width in it at all and the idea of starting a crucial European match with both Brown and Caddis in central midfield really wouldn't have filled me with confidence.

Perhaps i should have explained a bit more. The idea was that it would be more of a midfield 3 with Scobbie sitting and Caddis and Brown getting forward with M O'H getting freedom to go wherever behind the front 2.

Did we not have Brown and Caddis in the middle against Lucerne in 1 of the matches? 

Even this would do. 

M O'H Brown Caddis Scobbie

Edited by saintj

Surely it would have been more balanced to have had a back 4, a midfield 3 of scobbie brown and caddis and then having michael out right, kane or macca through the middle and sutton wide left.

obviously sutton wouldnt have been able to do a lot, but playing a sort of wide target man ( lee mcculloch for scotland ) can be effective, and the way o'halloran was getting down the right would have had a few crosses to go at.

It was worrying that kane was stuck wide left, where he struggled due to lack of pace/trickery and not strong enough when it came to feet, the problem was clearly the formation ended up a sort of 5-1-4 with brown sitting very deep and scobbie sitting more with the back line, it meant they had 40-50  yards of space with often one or two saints players to their 4/5 which will always outpass us, and was it a case of unfit players being able to close down, or a startling degree of too much respect being given to the opposition, if you stand off any player long enough they will make something happen. I dont understand the deal with caddis, surely he is being paid a senior player salary, and is signed on as part of the first team squad, there is no point in keeping him for the u20's league, you would have thought that being one of 2 centre mids fit then he has to play, if tommy cant trust him then why was he signed on? he is a recongnised centre mid, play him there, 

To compare it to scottish football as a whole, the best teams ( including the national team ) seem to be able to counter with a bit of pace, and a bit of decisiveness to create chances, we are an example of a well organised side who cannot make chances, and when that gets found out ( which it seems it may have been ) must be nearly impossible to fix overnight. We could still be playing now and nobody would look like being able to slip a pass in behind the full back or centre backs to create an opening, its pretty worrying viewing. 

still maybe its  a blessing, kairat almaty would have royally humped us based on this.

I don't think anyone actually deliberately knackered the silence, more a misunderstanding after the rather garbled tannoy announcement.It would have been better to put something in the programme and then just start the silence.

Edited by ejksjfc

Big disappointment. Was right in line in the East stand when that ball got pumped forward for their goal and their guy looked offside, French kunt never gave it, probably coz we laughed at him when he fell on his erse pre game. MoH was great, also thought Brown had a no bad game. Mannus looked at fault for the goal. Sutton and McLean both need to raise their game, Cummins looked ok in his short cameo. These guys were better than their ranking but we still should have put them out. This game was an even bigger let down than the one in Yerevan but at least my travel time for this one was six hours rather than sixteen.

Big disappointment. Was right in line in the East stand when that ball got pumped forward for their goal and their guy looked offside, French kunt never gave it, probably coz we laughed at him when he fell on his erse pre game. MoH was great, also thought Brown had a no bad game. Mannus looked at fault for the goal. Sutton and McLean both need to raise their game, Cummins looked ok in his short cameo. These guys were better than their ranking but we still should have put them out. This game was an even bigger let down than the one in Yerevan but at least my travel time for this one was six hours rather than sixteen.

Good shout. Common sense sprinkled with the right amount of criticism about the performance: obviously you have a wee bit of a fitba heid and a grip of reality.

just watched the visitors goal for the first time since it happened last night. not clear if off side or not but basic defending stay goal side of the attacking player especially if you are our Tam not blessed with the fastest turn of speed, but more than ever Mannus what the Phuque are you trying to do.  

Just noticed someone else has made the same point on a different thread, but we were talking earlier today about the media coverage there would have been if celtic went into a European game with no Van Dijk, Denayer, Brown, Johansen, Armstrong, Griffiths and Armstrong.

And yet we, with a far more limited squad, are meant to cope with our equivalent of that and cruise to victory. It's a bad result, a poor performance, but a bit of perspective is needed.

I think we were all getting carried away with being European regulars, and thought that meant we'd stuff a team because we've never heard of them. I know I completely underrated them. That was our first home win in Europe since 1999, and but for one crazy mistake we probably would have gone through the tie.

Not scoring away from home is massive. It's the reason aberdeen are still in the competition and we're oot!!

As Rab C Nesbitt says.! " i will tell ye this"  you will have tae go a long way tae find a forum with more football managerial nouse than the we are perth forums .! Only if Saints get gubbed though.!LAUGH OUT LOUD Otherwise its "In Tommy we Trust".!

Edited by croc

Still in shock, really feeling pretty depressed at this moment. How long will this take to fade? I do hope that not progressing makes us eager to kick the season of with a few wins and not be sluggish. Wish the Europa draw was regionalised at this stage!

Still in shock, really feeling pretty depressed at this moment. How long will this take to fade? I do hope that not progressing makes us eager to kick the season of with a few wins and not be sluggish. Wish the Europa draw was regionalised at this stage!

I was fine after coming on here this morning and reading absolute nonsense from some absolute roasters. Made me feel so much better about everything. Keep things in perspective, we wouldn't have gone out if we had our first team available. That means we need more strength in depth. It's not the end of the world.

I was fine after coming on here this morning and reading absolute nonsense from some absolute roasters. Made me feel so much better about everything. Keep things in perspective, we wouldn't have gone out if we had our first team available. That means we need more strength in depth. It's not the end of the world.

Does anyone know where "the end of the world " is ?

Just noticed someone else has made the same point on a different thread, but we were talking earlier today about the media coverage there would have been if celtic went into a European game with no Van Dijk, Denayer, Brown, Johansen, Armstrong, Griffiths and Armstrong.

And yet we, with a far more limited squad, are meant to cope with our equivalent of that and cruise to victory. It's a bad result, a poor performance, but a bit of perspective is needed.

I think we were all getting carried away with being European regulars, and thought that meant we'd stuff a team because we've never heard of them. I know I completely underrated them. That was our first home win in Europe since 1999, and but for one crazy mistake we probably would have gone through the tie.

Not scoring away from home is massive. It's the reason aberdeen are still in the competition and we're oot!!

Not conceding at home is equally important, and that's what got the sheep through in the end