Hearts V Saints. Sunday 2 August 12.30 K-O.

Suppose you have to take positives, we never managed 3 goals in a game all last season. Just sods law first time we do it we defend like a by bunch of schoolkids having a kick about in the park.

We look a threat at set pieces, Hearts really struggled with us. Hard to explain the defending though, I've not seen anything like it.

Edited by Broon

Some of the defending was awful, but Chris Miller going off was huge. Brown has neither the mobility or tactical brain to be in the right positions to offer a shield to the centre halves. The number of times they broke forward from midfield with no pressure, leaving our defence outnumbered and backing off, was unreal.

Can only assume wright wasn't deemed fit enough to play.

What a frustrating afternoon - cant be conceding goals like that and expect to win games!

Positives -

We scored three goals for the first time since Jimmy Shand was at School

John Sutton got his first goal for the club

Felt Lapin did well and is a must starter if Sutton plays

MOH was busy and was our main drive going forward

Negatives -

I'm not going to slate players but Mckay and Scobbie shouldn't be getting anywhere near that team if Cuptie and Ando are fit - both had shockers

Defensively was porbably the worst under Wrigrt, sorely missesd usual back 4 - the big Spanish lad upfront totally bullied McKay

Alan Mannus didn't have a single Save to make the whole game - when you look at their second goal it comes from

Our throw deep in their half

All that aside we hopefully won't have such a defensively display like that for the rest of the season! Miller going off didn't help! Really missed Muzz's presence

Hearts were average and we were our own downfall sadly

On to next week

thought new right back did ok, at least we attacked ,but the centre half's are at fault,mcmanus saves pen then they let the boy score come on boys we can do better,pen was a bit on the light side seen them given,we need anderson back with cuptie next to him and easton and new lad from the dons

Didn't think hearts were average. Beatable yes but they have some very decent players. Their defence was rotten too but they played some nice stuff.

As for saints, for as much as Shaughnessy isn't a very good footballer if you have Sutton and him in the side every throw you get is a goalscoring opportunity. Sutton is a master of hugging and tugging and fouling defenders so you just need to get someone timing a run in behind.

I'm a Scobbie fan but today but between him and McKay it was horrible. Neither were commanding. Neither were composed. Neither had good positioning. It was very very weak. Hopefully with time together they will improve!

thought new right back did ok, at least we attacked ,but the centre half's are at fault,mcmanus saves pen then they let the boy score come on boys we can do better,pen was a bit on the light side seen them given,we need anderson back with cuptie next to him and easton and new lad from the dons

It was a terrible penalty, mannus should have held it. And he shouldn't have come flying out to wipe the boy out. Thought he was poor today for a change.

As is obvious from the scoreline, the defence was the problem today, and in particular the two centre-backs. I'm more forgiving of McKay and in particular his slip for the first goal - could have happened to anyone. He's shown enough in the games I've seen him in to show he's a good footballer, and I remember just how frequently unreliable Anderson was 10 years ago. He needs a good head alongside him so I hope Wright is back soon. I've said before Scobbie isn't a central defender - no point going over old ground again there. Shaughnessy nowhere near as good a defender as Mackay was a year ago, but he does offer an attacking angle. 

(For all those thinking everything would have been fine with Anderson, I thought he was horrendous v Alashkert. It can happen to our better players too.)

Midfield was toothless. Wotherspoon's biggest weakness is his final ball, and - aside from the lead up to Sutton's goal - it showed today. Lappin often anonymous, but good deliveries when it mattered. Game passed Brown by and you'd think he was running out of chances. Millar was a big loss. 

Up front, Sutton proved he will score when given the ball, and nice to see Cummins get off the mark. Decent competition there. Hope MacLean doesn't saunter back into the team.

Easy to say Hearts weren't that good, but I thought they were. They could have scored a few more against us. I think the scoreline flattered us.

Edited by Brogan

As is obvious from the scoreline, the defence was the problem today, and in particular the two centre-backs. I'm more forgiving of McKay and in particular his slip for the first goal - could have happened to anyone. He's shown enough in the games I've seen him in to show he's a good footballer, and I remember just how frequently unreliable Anderson was 10 years ago. He needs a good head alongside him so I hope Wright is back soon. I've said before Scobbie isn't a central defender - no point going over old ground again there. Shaughnessy nowhere near as good a defender as Mackay was a year ago, but he does offer an attacking angle.

(For all those thinking everything would have been fine with Anderson, I thought he was horrendous v Alashkert. It can happen to our better players too.)

Midfield was toothless. Wotherspoon's biggest weakness is his final ball, and it showed today. Lappin often anonymous, but good deliveries when it mattered. Game passed Brown by and you'd think he was running out of chances. Millar was a big loss.

Up front, Sutton proved he will score when given the ball, and nice to see Cummins get off the mark. Decent competition there. Hope MacLean doesn't saunter back into the team.

Easy to say Hearts weren't that good, but I thought they were. They could have scored a few more against us. I think the scoreline flattered us.

We too could have scored a few more so the scoreline didn't really flatter us.

Regardless I'm really pissed off at the manner of our defending today.

The truth is we won't play many teams as potent upfront as Hearts all season, but at the same time defence was very poor at times. The Spaniard have McKay an awful time and Scobbie isn't up to the job. As soon as there is good movement in the opposition he is caught out of position far too often. McKay will improve- Scobbie won't.

The long-throws will make chances for us this season. Thought Joe did ok, but was a real attacking threat when the ball was in his hands.

Losing Millar was a huge blow. We lacked a shield infront of the back four after that, but Liam grafted away and it's good to have him back.

No point in worrying too much about today. We will be fine. Simply need to get Anderson, MacKay and Millar back soon.

No point in worrying too much about today. We will be fine. Simply need to get Anderson, MacKay and Millar back soon.

Pretty much agree with everything you say, but I'm not convinced we can expect Mackay to come back after such a long time out and be anything like the player he was a couple of years ago. Davidson on the form at the tail end of last season, is as big a miss.