Regeneration Of The City

Gshrek

I hate to say this but we all know that Dundee has left Perth behind in terms of development and investment in facilities and amenities.............what does Perth need? And I don't mean a "Nandos or a virgin gym".

I am suggesting that a major project/plan should be thought of to reinvigorate what I see as a flagging city.

Here's my go.....knock down the city hall...create a city square...already thought of but put a glass roof over it

Do away with all the car parks in mill street and develop that area with a new shopping centre and pedestrianise the street.

We as a nation also allow historic Scotland too much clout in terms of protecting buildings....look above every shop in the south side o south street....it's falling down.....knock it down and start again....

Was walking through the city yesterday and couldn't believe the amount of junkies and drunks wandering around the centre bothering people. First thing that should be done is a higher police presence in town to move these people on.

I also think it would be nice to see more local businesses encouraged to open stalls/pop-up shops. Almost have an independent area for those that possibly only use things such as ebay to sell their stock just now. There's one in Edinburgh on the Royal Mile that really is full of different products.

I hate to say this but we all know that Dundee has left Perth behind in terms of development and investment in facilities and amenities.............what does Perth need? And I don't mean a "Nandos or a virgin gym".

I am suggesting that a major project/plan should be thought of to reinvigorate what I see as a flagging city.

Here's my go.....knock down the city hall...create a city square...already thought of but put a glass roof over it

Do away with all the car parks in mill street and develop that area with a new shopping centre and pedestrianise the street.

We as a nation also allow historic Scotland too much clout in terms of protecting buildings....look above every shop in the south side o south street....it's falling down.....knock it down and start again....

I'd kind of like to keep the facade but have a square in behind. With the cafes around about, it'd resemble in some way Royal Exchange Square in Glasgow.

I also like the idea of pop-up-shops (and eateries/hostelries).

Did I read somewhere that the council were pumping millions into Perth Theatre AND they are paying a large amount for Loans they have taken out to make ends meet.

Without laying blame I think the Westminster government have clawed back millions for councils and seem to give it to overseas countries -cannot see many projects being financed by local councils but by Private Investors.     Is Perth that attractive ?      Would the Harbour area be a good project or be a waste of money ?

Was walking through the city yesterday and couldn't believe the amount of junkies and drunks wandering around the centre bothering people. First thing that should be done is a higher police presence in town to move these people on.

This is nothing new, my Mum remembers arriving at Perth in 1951...and the place was notorious for drunks and fowk roaring and shouting in the street...BTW it wisnae fermers.

Perth is a great wee place. The size of the population and economics of those who live in the Perth dictate that alot of the "nice to have stuff" wouldn't do well in such a wee place.

I might be wrong, but everytime i in the town i think it is beautiful! Lots of it are really well kept, orderly.... sure it is dead after 6pm, there aren't really that many good restaurants, but there are a few of everything ......that's enough!

The places like Dundee, Edinburgh......London (!) have the variety, but they come at a cost.... Perth is doing real good IMO.

Some great independent traders in places like Princes Street need to be encouraged and would benefit from being grouped together (special accessibility in surveying terms).

Was surprised at the cafe culture which has been created in the centre of town and some of the quality shops/eateries in George Street for example.

A lot to be proud of in Perth, just needs proper joined-up thinking from the city leaders to encourage others to make a go of it.

Sorry to say, but on a recent visit, I thought the city centre looked dirty, littered and unkempt. Shop frontages looked as if they needed a good lick of paint.

On a visit at the weekend,  my daughter from Oz said much the same thing and included Bridgend in her comments. 

As someone who was not born or brought up in Perth her impression is likely to be the same as other visitors. 

Perth is a great wee place. The size of the population and economics of those who live in the Perth dictate that alot of the "nice to have stuff" wouldn't do well in such a wee place.

I might be wrong, but everytime i in the town i think it is beautiful! Lots of it are really well kept, orderly.... sure it is dead after 6pm, there aren't really that many good restaurants, but there are a few of everything ......that's enough!

The places like Dundee, Edinburgh......London (!) have the variety, but they come at a cost.... Perth is doing real good IMO.

Tay Street and the area round St John's Kirk are well kept, the rest of the city centre is not.  In fact the County Place/York Place/South Street area is in a disgraceful state and populated with beggars and junkies.  The council have refuse to address this area for many a year.  And you're wrong on the restaurant trade - there are some very good eateries in Perth.  It's other stuff that needs addressed.

Interestingly, reading the Dundee Evening Telegraph last night the main letter on the letters page was decrying Dundee's efforts in attracting big events and saying they wished they could be like PKC having TITP and Rewind, for example.

Great that we have these events but that does not make up for the failings of the City Centre and council.

Perth is a hole. #Perthshire is where it is at.

That is true...Perthshire is beautiful......sadly, Perth city is pretty bland and feels tired. I don't like what they have done at Tay Street....makes it feel even blander. The pubs are pretty awful as well. I struggle to think of one that a tourist or visitor would want to sit in and have a bar meal (i'm not saying some don't do good food), but they are hardly appealing from the outside

Surely if there are plans to expand the population of the city around Stanley/Luncarty/Berthapark.....as well as the proposals around Bridge of Earn....it's an essential requirement to have a desirable centre to attract the people required to live in these new homes.

This is a massive opportunity to create jobs and regenerate the city. This in turn will bolster the property market and increase the amount of tourists and day trippers that visit the city......it's not that long ago that people from all over Scotland traveled to Perth for a days shopping and to sample the relaxed enjoyable atmosphere/ environment that really did exist.

Another point.....why do our local council start housing all the junkies in and around the city centre in places like St Catherine's square.....I recall trying to get my foot on the property market not so long ago and it was almost impossible from a financial point of view.......what chance do kids now have if they are forced to live next door to state sponsored drug addicts?????

Good point GShrek- I've always said if people refuse to look after their property and be bad residents of an area they should be housed in a specific area alongside the others that have little interest in being a good citizen. Then spend no money what-so-ever on the area. Why should the good residents in any area have to put up with these people.

Just take the new estate in Muirton- for every well kept house and garden that is treated with respect there are many others that are filled with litter, junk and clearly no pride taken in houses that are often funded by the tax payer.

Good point GShrek- I've always said if people refuse to look after their property and be bad residents of an area they should be housed in a specific area alongside the others that have little interest in being a good citizen. Then spend no money what-so-ever on the area. Why should the good residents in any area have to put up with these people.

Just take the new estate in Muirton- for every well kept house and garden that is treated with respect there are many others that are filled with litter, junk and clearly no pride taken in houses that are often funded by the tax payer.

They did that with Hunters did they no. Are they now doing it with North Muirton ?.

Bang on. Me living in private rented accommodation - at £650 a month for a three bed flat with galley kitchen -  with a wife and three kids that was riddled with damp kept getting put down the housing register and knocked back for those brand new houses. Grinds my gears to see every bam, hoor and comic singer treating them with contempt.

It took the unfortunate situation of my grandfather passing away and leaving me something in his Will that allowed us to get on the housing ladder.

I always raise a glass to him, wherever he is.

The funking issue I have with this ...is....it's plain for us all to see, yet the councillors , those in charge of housing and any other person paid to make these decisions seem to do the exact opposite.......how much did it cost to knock down Muitron? How much did it cost to rebuild it? Then we put a lot of the sub culture back into the same area with a new house? Funking bonkers ...these type of people don't change.....they just wreck their new house and have no respect for others houses or gardens......Muirton of the Rookery as I believe it's now called will return at some stage to be another ghetto.......along with the town centre!

Too late I know..but...why didn't the housing not keep Muirton standing.....I know this is contravential but it kept a lot of the scum in the same place and the Police new where to find them? The houses were excellent structurally .....should have sold them off cheap to the tenants and empowered them to drag the area up......no cost of demolition or rebuild and outright profit from the sale of houses.......simples.....

Roll back 10-15 years ago, a lot of my contemporaries in Aberdeen/shire used to love doing day/weekend trips to Perth. I always asked what they liked about going there. Responses were that loved the relaxed, green airy open feel of the centre, polite & friendly folk, little boutique shops and good pubs. All just an hour and half from their own front door.

Yes, it seems you are.

Care to expand? I thought his suggestion of keeping dated housing for those that wouldn't care for it isn't such a bad idea. Leave cash to invest into new estates for people and families that can prove they are ideal tennants.

I've always thought a "care scale" on council rents should apply...... Those that take good care of the property should pay less in rent than those that abuse the property. A reward for those that take pride in their local area. You can't be bothered to clean your house or cut your grass- then it will cost you financially.