Holiday Reading...

Papa Jack

Following Blueheaven (I think) mentioning Kevin Twaddell's book for a decent read, does anyone else have any other ideas for some light holiday reading? I've been meaning to read Gary Nelson's Left Food Forward so that's two. Any other suggestions based on those? Light reading please...nae Tolstoy, thanks very much!! :wink:

Decent books on football are incredibly rare. But try Paradise Road by Stephen O'Donnell (fiction). You have to sort of read it with one eye closed, as he is Sellik through and through, but he really captures the match day experience well in a young team sort of way (nothing wrong with that), and has some cracking things to say about the Dead Rangers thing. He sounds like many on this site: passionate about the game, without the sectarian and other assorted hate nonsense. Probably an Amazon job.

Of course, in addition, anyone who hasn't yet read the two books on Saints cup win is frankly an idiot and should do so immediately.

Any of Alex Ferguson's books are braw.

Best way to browse is on Amazon, where you can focus in on areas of interest easily, and get some decent deals.

Football..."Morbo" and one about German football were good reading..but a bit dated now.

"The Secret Life of Fighter Command" has got a good write up.

Factual stuff about the Battle of Britain...pilots, support, Dowdling, Potts and the politicos..

Whits wrong wi Tolstoy...bit of a best seller. I once read Solhenitsyn's Gulag Archepelego on holiday once...when French air traffic controllers went on strike..better than slowly getting purple faced at a Spanish Airport in the 70s.

In terms of football books:

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro is a good read.

A Life Too Short is a fantastic, if emotional and heart breaking, read.

Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev.

Niall Quinn, Paul McGrath and John Hartson's autobiographies are also decent.

Far too many non-football books to mention.

if you want the most violent book ever written, try Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. It's a western set in 1850s Texas.

Really ? never heard of it,worth a look. Heres me thinking the most violent book was Dundee utilities "After the match the game begins" shower oh bawbags that they are. Mare truth in Harry Potter :P

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone on here read Alex Totten's autobiography? I fancy buying it but the price is ridiculous (£18 hardback on Amazon, £9.99 on Kindle!).

Downloaded it for Kindle. Only really read the Saints bit so far. Don't remember there being anything out of the ordinary and even that part was littered with references to "Wattie" and Rangers.