Saints V Ict Sat 8Th August. 3.00Pm Kick-Off

Delighted to get a point in the end.  Our performance in the first half was close to terrible.  Utterly disjointed in parts and allowing an average team far far too much time on the ball.  We never pressed the game until right at the end.  We are really missing Ando at the back and for Shaughnessy's positives in going forward, some of his defending has been extremely naive so far, with Tam deciding on long punts up to Sutton from our own half....utterly futile.

BIG performances needed in the next two games.  Game had a very flat feel to it. 

Nice header to grab the point.

On the game itself, pretty insipid stuff from two insipid teams. Early Inverness goal from a unlucky deflection of Wotherspoon (?) gifted them something to hold on to and they spent the rest of the game trying to, well, out St Johnstone St Johnstone. They remind me a lot of us last year, an exciting Scottish cup winning team stripped of their best talent in the summer and then forced to try and rely on their defence with little attacking threat aside from the one exciting player they still have left in Ryan Christie/Michael O'Halloran. Their failure to shitfest their way to wins in games like that may be the difference between bottom six and top six for them this year.

On Saints, we were shite until the subs who changed the game. Any credit Tommy deserves for this is invalidated by the way we played for the first hour and the way we started, which has already been covered by others on here. Would also have preferred to see Kane on instead of Maclean who did ok but still offers a lot less than what Kane would have. Cummins looks a find, absolute bullet header from him there and two in two will earn him a start on Tuesday. I also like Shaugnessy a lot, comfortable on the ball, capable defender and his throw ins are absolutely incredible. The anticipation when we get a throw in near the corner flag is class and I'd have him taking them from both sides, send Ando forward etc.

A few other observations:

-We need a maverick, unpredictable midfield player with bags of flair, as our midfield right now is just so predictable and pedestrian. Swanson was this player for us last season and could possibly be again this year but it's looking quite unlikely I think. How did he do today? Failing that, I know there are reservations about his attitude but what about giving Dylan Easton a shot in the left wing position that Simon Lappin and then Liam Craig plodded along in today? By a accounts he was superb for our 20s in midweek and it would be a massive shame if a talent like that was released at the end of the season without ever being given a chance in our first team. He may be arrogant but there's no one quite like him in our squad. For one, I wish David Wotherspoon was a little more arrogant and confident in his own ability- he looks desperately poor right now.

-Our Programme today was excellent. Good value for an informative and nice-looking piece of work featuring some interesting interviews. Hope the club keeps it up.

-I still don't like Michael O'Halloran at right wing. Sure he gets past his man but he can't cross and isn't great at picking people out in the box at high pace under pressure. Plus I feel it limited his goal scoring potential- I'd prefer to see him upfront with Sutton or on left wing until we get a proper left winger in. I thought Craig was fine in the middle but would look better with someone like Millar next to him and a better winger out wide.

On the game itself, pretty insipid stuff from two insipid teams. Early Inverness goal from a unlucky deflection of Wotherspoon (?) gifted them something to hold on to and they spent the rest of the game trying to, well, out St Johnstone St Johnstone. They remind me a lot of us last year, an exciting Scottish cup winning team stripped of their best talent in the summer and then forced to try and rely on their defence with little attacking threat aside from the one exciting player they still have left in Ryan Christie/Michael O'Halloran. Their failure to shitfest their way to wins in games like that may be the difference between bottom six and top six for them this year.

On Saints, we were shite until the subs who changed the game. Any credit Tommy deserves for this is invalidated by the way we played for the first hour and the way we started, which has already been covered by others on here. Would also have preferred to see Kane on instead of Maclean who did ok but still offers a lot less than what Kane would have. Cummins looks a find, absolute bullet header from him there and two in two will earn him a start on Tuesday. I also like Shaugnessy a lot, comfortable on the ball, capable defender and his throw ins are absolutely incredible. The anticipation when we get a throw in near the corner flag is class and I'd have him taking them from both sides, send Ando forward etc.

A few other observations:

-We need a maverick, unpredictable midfield player with bags of flair, as our midfield right now is just so predictable and pedestrian. Swanson was this player for us last season and could possibly be again this year but it's looking quite unlikely I think. How did he do today? Failing that, I know there are reservations about his attitude but what about giving Dylan Easton a shot in the left wing position that Simon Lappin and then Liam Craig plodded along in today? By a accounts he was superb for our 20s in midweek and it would be a massive shame if a talent like that was released at the end of the season without ever being given a chance in our first team. He may be arrogant but there's no one quite like him in our squad. For one, I wish David Wotherspoon was a little more arrogant and confident in his own ability- he looks desperately poor right now.

-Our Programme today was excellent. Good value for an informative and nice-looking piece of work featuring some interesting interviews. Hope the club keeps it up.

-I still don't like Michael O'Halloran at right wing. Sure he gets past his man but he can't cross and isn't great at picking people out in the box at high pace under pressure. Plus I feel it limited his goal scoring potential- I'd prefer to see him upfront with Sutton or on left wing until we get a proper left winger in. I thought Craig was fine in the middle but would look better with someone like Millar next to him and a better winger out wide.

O'Halloron was up front with Sutton ,or sitting behind for 60 mins. Agree,he should be played on left.

Very poor performance, few get pass marks agree with a lot of what has been said on here. Not sure what has happened to Spoony seems woefully short of confidence,thought Liam was off the pace last ten, simply dreadful distribution from the back, was also surprised Fraser replaced McKay and not Scobbie who has never convinced me at centre half I do not think he is a good enough defender. With the exception of Muzz we seemed very flat and lack lustre which is a major concern.

Personally I would drop Sutton who I have now seen three times and seriously think is a step backwards, would rather see Brian Graham myself. No movement and having him up front seems to result in us just lumping the ball forward. Bring in Cummings for him for Tuesday night.

Edited by nickyg

Second half was the same initially, but for me it wasn't the introduction of the subs that sparked the brighter play from Saints, it was Murray bulldozing thru three or four challenges and showing that the game actually mattered that gave a lift to the whole team. Suddenly we found a bit of energy and purpose.

Spot on. I think it was Davidson's drives from midfield that gave the team some urgency - though subbing of Sutton did force a change in the way we played. 

I thought overall we were terrible though, and I think we're going to struggle with that team and selection this year. Very lucky to grab a draw. Caley may be makeshift, but they looked a better team than us.

Of the back four, I thought Mannus and Easton got pass marks. Wright added authority and aerial presence, but didn't wipe out defensive frailties. Scobbie's standout moment was an excellent last-ditch tackle that also served to expose his lack of speed and poor positioning.  His distribution was hopeless too. Still haven't made my mind up about Shaughnessy. Looks lightweight, but does offer that attacking option.

Wotherspoon, particularly in the first 70 minutes, was dire. He needs dropped for his own sake. The best you can say about Lappin is that he looked interested. Davidson had a quiet opening spell, but came into the game at the point I thought he'd be tiring. Craig played like he'd never left Hibs.

Just about every opportunity of ours was generated by O'Halloran. Bags of pace and while I wish he was a better finisher and a better crosser, he created just about every chance himself, so you can't be too hard on him.

Still unconvinced by Sutton. He will get us goals, but you get the feeling that, just as in Alien, there's a Fallon in there about to burst out. And now Tommy has reduced our approach to the game to hoofing it up the park to him and we played better when we didn't have to do that. Cummins did well for the first ten minutes when he came on, disappeared for a bit, then came back with a cracking goal. I think he'll start on Tuesday alongside Sutton, the latter being included only because Tommy has spunked a two year deal on him so he has to give him a chance. Pity that Kane - who has never let us down - is still benchwarming.

In under two weeks, Stevie MacLean will celebrate a year without having scored. Dire again. Sure, the guy has intelligence, but if that's the only attribute he's going to offer, we might as well invite Stephen Hawking to wheel around the penalty box.

Edited by Brogan

Agree with what others have said wotherspoon was awful and needs some time on the bench. Bit disappointed that Kane didn't get on at all especially since Tommys game plan was muck for 89 mins. I would like to see Kane and Sutton together. Hopefully Tommy doesn't ruin Kane as he clearly has something against youngsters

Agree with what others have said wotherspoon was awful and needs some time on the bench. Bit disappointed that Kane didn't get on at all especially since Tommys game plan was muck for 89 mins. I would like to see Kane and Sutton together. Hopefully Tommy doesn't ruin Kane as he clearly has something against youngsters

I think a lot of us would like to see Dylan Easton and Craig Thomson given a run out. Because, really, was our midfield today better without the attacking options they might have offered? Can you really say with certainty that they're not ready for top league football? Can they really be that far behind Simon Lappin in the pecking order? Certainly should have had at least one on the bench: daft to have three strikers there.

Edited by Brogan

I think a lot of us would like to see Dylan Easton and Craig Thomson given a run out. Because, really, was our midfield today better without the attacking options they might have offered? Can you really say with certainty that they're not ready for top league football? Can they really be that far behind Simon Lappin in the pecking order? Certainly should have had at least one on the bench: daft to have three strikers there.

how did players from ict, killie, United etc etc become ready for first team football? They got a chance! If Easton plays a couple of games and is guff then so what? He can't be much worse than what was on the park today. Thomson was a breathe of fresh air against Blackpool, if Wright can't see that spoony ain't upto the task then he's in the wrong job Edited by patsy

Couldn't believe Inverness injury troubles. 8 players out. Not listing a full bench... They play decent stuff. We ground that point out and unlucky not to pinch it with the goal mouth scramble in 94th minute. Good point. Performance obviously can improve... route one football to a striker with no support is brutal to watch. We have come to expect better!

Edited by Dave H

Poor for 70mins. Sutton totally isolated. He won a ton of headers but nobody to support him. He clearly isn't a lone striker as he doesn't look to hold the ball up. 

In the first half we were dire done the RHS. Spoony kept drifting infield and Shaughnessy looked poor.He needs to show more than a long throw in.

The substitutions changed the game. Liam playing wide left with Easton looked a real threat and O'Halloran playing down the right was electric. Maclean and Cummings brought an urgency which had been missing.

I'm sure Tommy will have learned from the game. Please don't play Sutton as a lone striker again Tommy ! 

Please don't play Sutton as a lone striker again Tommy ! 

Pretty sure O'Halloran started up front with him then midway through the first half he went to the left. But other than that agreed - Sutton can't be expected to perform miracles in an isolated role, or when he's not being given the ball.

The amount of time people spend dishing out abuse to our players is appalling. As if someone constantly telling you you're shite is going to inspire better performance. Embarrassing.

A decent tussle between two mediocre teams (as most teams are in Scotland).

We have had an incredibly journey in the last few years but we have to take the rough with the smooth.

The amount of time people spend dishing out abuse to our players is appalling. As if someone constantly telling you you're shite is going to inspire better performance. Embarrassing.

A decent tussle between two mediocre teams (as most teams are in Scotland).

We have had an incredibly journey in the last few years but we have to take the rough with the smooth.

I didn't think there was much abuse. A few boos and stupid comments borne out of frustration. It happens. 

It wasn't a decent tussle. It was a sub-standard performance against a poor, makeshift team. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Yes it's been a good journey. But that doesn't preclude fans having an opinion about their favourite team. It's the quid-pro-quo of us paying £22 to the club every other week.

The abuse Wotherspoon was getting from around about where I was sitting was unacceptable. No wonder the lads head was down most of the game.

The manager need to protect the laddie by giving him a break. It's obvious his form is  very poor and continually playing him  is doing him no favours. Maybe  he would have been taken off today had Lappin not outdone him in the completely  hopeless stakes this afternoon but even so, he should have been hooked..

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

The manager need to protect the laddie by giving him a break. It's obvious his form is  very poor and continually playing him  is doing him no favours. Maybe  he would have been taken off today had Lappin not outdone him in the completely  hopeless stakes this afternoon but even so, he should have been hooked..

Wotherspoon needs benched for his own good. You'll always get at every club a few fans who needlessly boo players. But you'll also get some who start to get on players' backs because they feel they simply aren't performing week on week, yet are still picked. It's a fine line.

Trouble is we didn't have that many options for replacements on the bench. Struck me as odd, given how poor three of our four midfielders were.

heard spooner maybe should not have played today for personnel reasons, so if true, well done for putting in the shift in these circumstances. 

Certainly looked like his mind was elsewhere. If that is true then it is strange that he was played.

For a substandard performance by the team today (yes it is team game after all) and to rescue a point at the death is commendable .

Outplayed, outpassed for long periods of the game by Caley .

Oh how Caley will be regretting timewasting and running down the clock after getting one goal up.

heard spooner maybe should not have played today for personnel reasons, so if true, well done for putting in the shift in these circumstances. 

That's wrong though. We have enough players to  cover and as such if  his loss was in any way going to effect his  ability to play then  the manager  again needs to protect the laddie.  I imagine he was asked if he felt okay to play and said he did. He should not have to " put a shift in"  if circumstances mean he's gonna play poorly because of it. The fact is that unfortunately he's been poor for a while..

Thought Spoony improved slightly when he went in to the middle of the park rather than out wide but did have another poor game. I also thought that having 3 left footed players at the back made us unbalanced. I cannot recall a Saints team with 5 left footed players in the starting 11.