Saints V Ict Sat 8Th August. 3.00Pm Kick-Off

O'Halloron was up front with Sutton ,or sitting behind for 60 mins. Agree,he should be played on left.

No he wasn't. He was playing left wing. And because Raven spent most of his time marauding down our left O'Halloran spent half his time in the left back area. It was a silly formation. How you can have 3 left footed defenders and two left footed midfielders yet then decide to play a right footed midfielder on the left is beyond me. It was no surprise that when O'Halloran moved to the right and Craig to the left that we finally looked decent.

When O'Halloran runs down that right he's electric. Nobody can touch him. He was unlucky with his cut back.

I hope we never see Sutton up top on his own ever again though. That was brutal. Big difference when we had two strikers which we should always be looking to do at home.

Great goal by Cummins. Brilliant header and daylight robbery to boot. Loved it.

Mention for Caly though, they were great. Neat passing, some great switches and until Cummins header Draper bossed the defence. Christie is a talent too. World class save from mannus kept us in it from him.

Edited by Broon

Set pieces again today. Extremely poor.

Why do we persist with looping a high ball into the box when we get a freekick around the half way line. We never win the first ball or the second.

I agree. Pitching wedges when a  phuckin pinged 3 Iron would be far more effective..

The best you can say about Lappin is that he looked interested...

Seriously?? Looked interested?? He was woeful!! Rather than driving the team forward, taking responsibility, barking orders or flying into challenges, he just ran around like a very very very poor mans Jody Morris. Every pass backwards to the centre halfs or a square 3 yard pass to another midfielder and then just standing around doing the classic 30-odd year old past it thing that midfielders who think they are better than the club they are playing for do.....(looking over both shoulders, a bit of pointing and first time passes into acres of space and then claim that Ohalloran or Easton should have read his mind)....

He is a bloody passenger who is conning a wage on a past reputation... Let St.Mirren, Motherwell or Partick have him in January.

Have to disagree mate, felt we started with Sutton and O'Halloran through the middle but it was changed to 4-5-1 with MOH wide left around the time of their goal. Second half he was switched to the right.

Agree with this.

Lappin was absolutely terrible today. I don't think he adds anything to the team personally - we look a much better side when he's not playing.

As I don't see many games it would not be fair for me to judge on just one game but I was shocked at how bad Saints were. The previous game I saw was the Cup shocker in Dumfries last season and on that performance things have not improved.

I thought some players looked uncomfortable on the ball and the amount of passing backwards defies belief. Inverness players seemed much fitter and were more dynamic by far. I just hope that like the game at Dumfries last season I've managed to pick another duffer and that is not the standard that you will have to watch week in week out.

I was disappointed that we have to get back to Barrow before the Ross game but after that 90 minutes I'm not so sure.

Good luck for the rest of the season

Seriously?? Looked interested?? He was woeful!! Rather than driving the team forward, taking responsibility, barking orders or flying into challenges, he just ran around like a very very very poor mans Jody Morris. Every pass backwards to the centre halfs or a square 3 yard pass to another midfielder and then just standing around doing the classic 30-odd year old past it thing that midfielders who think they are better than the club they are playing for do.....(looking over both shoulders, a bit of pointing and first time passes into acres of space and then claim that Ohalloran or Easton should have read his mind)....

He is a bloody passenger who is conning a wage on a past reputation... Let St.Mirren, Motherwell or Partick have him in January.

Spot on. Wright has to give youth & legs a chance. He seems keep putting the verage age of the team up with players like him & Sutton.

Spot on. Wright has to give youth & legs a chance. He seems keep putting the verage age of the team up with players like him & Sutton.

It's all very well saying that but tommy sees the young players every day and is the best man to make the decisions. Scott brown played over in Armenia and was absolutely dreadful and Liam Caddis has never looked like a premiership quality player.

It's all very well saying that but tommy sees the young players every day and is the best man to make the decisions. Scott brown played over in Armenia and was absolutely dreadful and Liam Caddis has never looked like a premiership quality player.

You at it again, do you really support Saints and no am not a happy clapper

Can't comment on Scott Brown in Armenia but I have been disappointed that he hasn't kicked on from beginning of last season where he looked very promising.

As for Liam Caddis I have to agree.

You at it again, do you really support Saints and no am not a happy clapper

I think he's defending the manager's decision Sixties.

For all people didn't like the formation yesterday at least the subs and on-field changes made a difference, so the manager got that right.

I looked over and saw Kane, Brown and Caddis standing in the corner and thought it's a pity our three young players aren't getting on, but when they come on they have to make an impact. I think Kane is the unluckiest this season as we have more options upfront and he seems to have slipped down the pecking order. Would like to see him and Cummins get a start together as they would bring a lot of energy and movement to our front line. Along with O'Halloran wide it would be interesting to see.

We have a decent sized squad, that was a really strong bench yesterday, but in all honesty there's not a lot of difference between all the midfield and forwards in terms of quality. Midge stands out, as does O'Halloran as his pace gives us a completely different option.

Can't comment on Scott Brown in Armenia but I have been disappointed that he hasn't kicked on from beginning of last season where he looked very promising.

As for Liam Caddis I have to agree.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but taking performances in isolation, and recent form in general, have Spoony and Lappin looked like premier standard players?

I haven't seen caddis in the flesh very often, but can't really recall him be as substandard as all that. In some games he has done well, in some cameos he has been ok, and sometimes he has been honking and disappeared up his own backside after 5 minutes.

All exactly as I would expect from a young lad who isn't getting a consistent run in a set position.

What is his best position? I used to think a driving midfielder, but others have suggested right wing back/ defensive mid?

On recent comments and performances I would like to see Spoony benched and caddis thrown in for the rest of the month.

But I don't have my livelihood resting on that desicion, so in tommy I trust.

I feel sorry for Brown, Caddis and Kane. They either get the last fifteen minutes or random starts here and there. And then they'll be dropped if they have a poor game or when a more experienced player becomes fit again. While Wotherspoon, Lappin and MacLean seem to be allowed a run of poor games and still sometimes retain their place. Its not really fair tbh and after seeing McKay dropped before Scobbie would it be overly surprising if Mackay came straight back in for Shaughnessy once hes fit?

To me Scott Brown is as close a replacement for Chris Millar as anyone we have, and his willingness to actually shoot is something none of the other midfielders have, I've no idea why he wasn't selected yesterday. 

I think everyone looked a bit ropey yesterday apart from Muzz, MOH, BEaston + subs. We played like we had just been knocked out of Europe on Thursday night! Everyone made mistakes and passes were going adrift all over the place! Luckily Caley had a similar passing issue or at times it looked like we'd never get the ball back unless Muzz was doing the tackling.

I'm sure there is a reason for not doing this, BUT, would be nice to see the likes of Thompson, McLaren + Dylan Easton taking on defences and tiring people out in a similar way to Ryan Christie. He's no superstar but he's all over the place and sprints for everything because he clearly wants to be noticed and plays like he couldn't bare to be dropped from the starting line up.

I'd be surprised if any of those three were close to Christie in terms of ability, hes an absolute star in the making.

In terms of sheer ability I wouldn't doubt Dylan Easton is probably on a similar level but for whatever reason can't get near our squad.

I refuse to speculate as to why but I'll be more than a little disappointed if he doesn't get an opportunity at some point. Thomson has looked decent in Under 20 games as well and I'd happily see him involved as well.

Don't know if it's directly related or otherwise but the first team are in training today, perhaps a reflection on yesterday's performance?

I'd be surprised if any of those three were close to Christie in terms of ability, hes an absolute star in the making.

Yogi said Christie'll play for Scotland, but he's better not going off to England too early.

I doubt that a Scotland cap's the real measure of how good a player is, but he's very highly rated.

In terms of sheer ability I wouldn't doubt Dylan Easton is probably on a similar level but for whatever reason can't get near our squad.

I refuse to speculate as to why but I'll be more than a little disappointed if he doesn't get an opportunity at some point. Thomson has looked decent in Under 20 games as well and I'd happily see him involved as well.

Don't know if it's directly related or otherwise but the first team are in training today, perhaps a reflection on yesterday's performance?

I'd be amazed if Easton was as good as Christie. I do, however, agree he deserves some form of chance. We're absolutely desperate for a creative player in the midfield, and every level he's been at so far he's been that, he seems to run the U20 games too. I don't buy into him being a left winger at all though, playing him central ahead of Millar and Muzz would be the best option, as they could cover if he made any errors. 

Yogi said Christie'll play for Scotland, but he's better not going off to England too early.

I doubt that a Scotland cap's the real measure of how good a player is, but he's very highly rated.

He'll go very far in the game. Scary to think he's almost a full year younger than Easton.

I'd be amazed if Easton was as good as Christie. I do, however, agree he deserves some form of chance. We're absolutely desperate for a creative player in the midfield, and every level he's been at so far he's been that, he seems to run the U20 games too. I don't buy into him being a left winger at all though, playing him central ahead of Millar and Muzz would be the best option, as they could cover if he made any errors.

To my mind he's definitely an attacking midfielder who needs a wee bit of leeway to roam behind the strikers.

I fear the reason he's not involved is simply the risk involved in losing a wee bit of solidity in midfield but if he can create more opportunities for us and nick a few as well it has to be worth that gamble.

I'm sure we all know by now that Tommy is Pragmatist-in-Chief though and he's unlikely to leave what he'll perceive as holes in his midfield.

My immediate reaction after 2 games is that defensively we aren't as good as last year, so we either fix that and be boring as hell, or we take a degree of a gamble on creativity up front.

With the standards around us in the league improving, there is no way we'll finish top 6 with the negative approach we had last season.

I would gladly see us giving some youngsters a chance. Easton, Thomson and Brown in particular. With some positive, albeit naive, attributes in the team, all of a sudden John Sutton wouldn't be isolated and I reckon we'd score a lot more goals.

Isn't going to happen though.

On Wotherspoon, the guy is possibly our most skilful player, but clearly needs the right mindset to perform. He always seems at his best when we are really having a go at teams, so I wonder if a few appearances from the bench might do him good, where his introduction is for a positive change. I think the guy is a naturally great player, but stifles his own ability by trying to fit a team tactic - overthinking everything. He needs freedom to express his skills.