Geoff Brown Goes Tae War

slf

with perth and kinross council.

friday 7th august pa report.

heres  one of his quotes 'it is my job to protect stjohnstone and the best interests of our shareholders and fans'

very commendable.i don't see any mention of this from the 'fans' and 'experts ' on here.

shouldnt we all be backing him up as supporters with petitions ,barracades,boycotts 'down with the council' and online stuff ?  or maybe just a sympathetic line of support?

I read a few articles yesterday, still trying to get my head around what is at stake. This is my view.

Geoff does not seem to dispute the road being built, which makes me think the fact it will unlock 5,000 houses worth of land to the west will benefit GS Brown (although the land appears to be controlled largely by Springfield and Stewart Milne)

The Council claim that the training pitch does not have planning permission, therefore the land is only worth agricultural value to the club.

Geoff claims it was always intended for a pitch, and work began on its improvement for that aim 19 years ago. Even if it doesn't have permission, he can apply for a 'certificate of lawfulness', which is like a deemed planning permission for established development. If I understand correctly this requires development to be in place for 10 years without challenge by the council. In the case of simple change of land use it is 4 years. I do not believe the council will have a leg to stand on if they challenge such an application (which Geoff has submitted I believe).

The 'war' is therefore about appropriate compensation for the land that will be purchased from the club under the Compulsory Purchase Order.

Geoff wants the council to provide a suitable grass training facility for the club elsewhere in Perth.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Probably because it was agricultural land & no submission has been put forward for change of use.

This exactly, but in my experience as a planner, if the club can provide evidence of it being used more than 4 years ago as a training area, or even evidence of it being improved for such a use, the certificate of lawfulness is a no brainer.

It is certainly policy up this way (Aberdeen city/shire) that removal of sports facilities for development should be compensated by provision of equal or better facilities elsewhere, due to an overall shortage of facilities. I would suggest this is what the club is looking for here.

Keeping actual money out of compensation could help all parties get best value, as it negates huge tax bills.

Saints might come out of this quite well.

Nothing suggests to me that GS Brown is on the make at all, purely Geoff looking after the club.

Those at the top end of P&K Council are in the main, utterly contemptable shitebags who think they can do anything they like and who have   shown  on more than one occasion recently that they have forgotten who the phuck they are meant to represent. The fact that this road is planned to go through part of the crem ( much against the wishes of a large section of the local populous) just highlights their " well do what we want" attitude.  In the first instance Geoff will  do what he has to do to look after our club but at some point  we might need to think about mobilizing out support and  backing him through some disruptive action..

Thanks, all for the Rebel Yell being going up regarding this, both for the club's facilities and for the crematorium.

It's not just local government, because of the extended flood prevention program extending to Almondbank, (which has never flooded) half of my brother and sister in laws land, which has their business on it, has been taken from them, with no compensation or CPO being made. This is due to the emergency flood law passed by the government a few years ago, there is no appeal for it.

The mother in law in pittcairngreen now can't get home insurance cos the company's see it as a flood risk, she's about 200 feet higher than the river !!

I digress and the rant is over, back to topic, governments, local and national need reminding they represent the people who elected them, they should not be against us.

Maybe we need to get a bit French and militant about all this.

As citizen Smith would say "come the revolution" :-)

nice answer,well spotted .What about the football club you also purport to support ?

----  Behave!!!! :)

shows how little you know

Yup, not a lot about planning, but Montrose has done an ace job of explaining. Think the shocking thing is the loss of the garden of rememberance. There was a guy on here who posted about a tree they had planted for their father and that it was the only connection they now had in the "living" world to him.

The ptich is not a great loss IMO - it was only laid after the plans for a road started to surface (excuse the pun!).

Hope the club get a good amount for the field.

Wonder what would Bruce McDiarmid have done?

The council claim Saints are using the ground behind the East Stand illegally as a training pitch and it is deemed agricultural land.

Geoffs point is that way back in 1993, I think, they never had any problems with the usage of the land for us to develop.

The council are clearly trying to use bully tactics and move their goalposts and trying to force things through on compulsory purchase orders. If the town planners all those years ago thought about that whole area when McDiarmid was built then the road should've been done then.

The council spending hundreds of thousands on re-doing the old council building at he bottom of the High Street and now loads of money on this road which will not really make that much a difference just proves the twats in power are so far in the past that they want Perth to remain their wee town.

---- Behave!!!! :)

Yup, not a lot about planning, but Montrose has done an ace job of explaining. Think the shocking thing is the loss of the garden of rememberance. There was a guy on here who posted about a tree they had planted for their father and that it was the only connection they now had in the "living" world to him.

The ptich is not a great loss IMO - it was only laid after the plans for a road started to surface (excuse the pun!).

Hope the club get a good amount for the field.

Wonder what would Bruce McDiarmid have done?

So nothing to do with Geoff "protecting his pockets" then.

--- No, nothing.

But Wonder what would Bruce McDiarmid have done?

Generally farmers get shat on. Should they be in cahoots with a developer or have a good legal team, they would seek a 'certificate of appropriate alternative development' - a sort of 'in theory' planning permission for a more valuable land use and seek appropriate compensation from the sale on that basis.

In this case, the fact it is a sports facility would perhaps make such a move difficult, and should a CAAD application be refused, the club would have shot themselves in the foot by not sticking to the training pitch use.

I honestly think the club are in quite a weak position re. land value, but could get a new training facility out of it.

Generally farmers get shat on. Should they be in cahoots with a developer or have a good legal team, they would seek a 'certificate of appropriate alternative development' - a sort of 'in theory' planning permission for a more valuable land use and seek appropriate compensation from the sale on that basis.

In this case, the fact it is a sports facility would perhaps make such a move difficult, and should a CAAD application be refused, the club would have shot themselves in the foot by not sticking to the training pitch use.

I honestly think the club are in quite a weak position re. land value, but could get a new training facility out of it.

---excellent info, and not to be obtuse, but whatever happened to florence place land....was that part of the muirton sale? Canne mind what happened.....

if they were to get a decent all inclusive training facility - excellent!

---excellent info, and not to be obtuse, but whatever happened to florence place land....was that part of the muirton sale? Canne mind what happened.....

if they were to get a decent all inclusive training facility - excellent!

IIRC that ground was sold off at a later date.