Saintees On Loan

Shibbydoo

if Brown was a serious first team contender, what was he doing on loan to, no disrespect intended, Dumbarton?

Come on! Surely you agree that regular first team football at any level is the best thing for a players development when they are being kept out of the first team by Murray Davidson and Chris Millar.

Do you forget that Stevie May was on loan at Alloa? Before Michael Ohalloran joined us, his last club was Tranmere rovers!

Harry Kane once upon a time was at Leyton Orient and then Millwall, relatively speaking that is a similar drop in levels to gain first team experience, didn't seam to harm him much.

Look at this guy Patrick Bamford at Chelsea. January 2014 he was at MK Dons, he is now being tipped to be the answer to Chelsea's striking problems. Just because a Scottish premier league player doesn't go on loan to Rangers, Hibs or Falkirk, doesn't mean that he isn't good enough, it's the routine of playing on a Saturday afternoon that is gained by loaning guys out. 

No, I understand what the loan system is for! Just don't understand how playing regularly for a poor team is better than playing occasionally and training with a good team at Brown's stage. Brown isn't in the same category as Gilchrist, Hurst etc. 

Delighted to be proved wrong however, and no doubt will be!

The Dumbo fans I know say by the end he was pretty average and didn't seem sad to lose him.

I think he wss only used as a sub for the past few games. This may have been because they knew he was going back to Saints. I still think he csn do a job for us but not as versatile as Caddis.

Brown isn't in the same category as Gilchrist, Hurst etc. 

Which is why he was loaned out to a club two divisions above them...

Its clear Brown needs to improve his positioning, so TW likely decided to get him regular football at a lower to learn that stuff rather than giving him 20 minutes every third week.

Brown offers something we don't have enough of imo and that is the ability to hit accurate passes to switch the play or get wingers breaking free. Always seems to want to move forward as well

sort out his supposed lack of marking ability and we have a good squad player, who perhaps could be a first team regular

Oh, and he is actually prepared to have a dig from outside the box....something else we don't do enough of (certainly with any success)

Edited by Edstar101

A few posts from Dumbarton fans over on P&B. A reasonably sound bunch...

I quite like Brown but I'm not entirely sure what he brings to the team. He has a decent range of passing and has decent tackling ability but he certainly isn't as creative as I expected nor could he be described as a 'midfield enforcer'.
He does the simple stuff fairly well but he doesn't really attempt anything other than the basics. He has had to fill in at right back on a couple of occassions and done well which deserves credit.
I think if he's to make a fist of it at St Johnstone he will need to add a lot more to his game. We've done a lot better with Brown out of the starting 11 and Jamie Lindsay in his place so with that in mind I wouldn't be overly concerned to see his loan not being extended.

Aye, I'm not sure what the point of Brown is. He can pass a ball okay and tackle okay but he doesn't go box to box or patrol the midfield in a defensive sense and he's not very creative. We also saw absolutely none of his long range efforts that we were promised. He's quite versatile I suppose, if unspectacular.
Seen as Brown hasn't really worked out I think it's only fair you compensate us by sending Kano back for 3 months.

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

Brown is a decent enough player but not really suited to how I think we play our best football.

Dumbarton are at our best when we play fast, direct football. That isnt long ball stuff, but it is playing direct and with pace. If Brown can sit in the midfield then he can do a decent job but he doesnt do the closing down that Routledge or Lindsay will do. He likely has a better range of passing, but if the game is played at tempo then he might not get the time he needs to make those passes.

Good enough player but possibly not the right fit for Dumbarton. Our current midfield duo of Lindsay and Routledge have done very well lately and I'd be keen for that to continue. I'd like to see more consistency from our wide men, but Brown doesnt have the pace to get by men and would be wasted wide right

Interesting to read some opinions from people who have seen him playing regularly. So is he any better than Caddis? These are similar comments to those made about Liam when he was out on loan.

Two young players now fighting for a position which, let's face it, if Midge and Muzz are fit, have no chance of filling.

So Brown is back and quite frankly I can't see him breaking into the first team anytime soon. Caddis for me is probably the better player, but at the moment I can't even see a place on the bench for either or both of them.

Yes the boy needs game time, but at that level? Would have thought he would have gone to a Championship team. Not sure that the opposition will be that good.

I'd argue that playing for a top 2nd division side will do him at least as much good as playing for St Mirren or some of the dross in the 1st division. Playing in a winning team will do his confidence the world of good and game time is game time. 

Could come back to haunt us as we still are looking for a central defence pairing. Also injuries and suspensions. In my opinion he is better than Scobbie and Rodgers and on par at least with Mackay. However TW obviously thinks all three are better and Mackay and Anderson is our best central defence partnership which is leaking goals.

Edited by Inchcolm