Darnell Fisher

Shaggy Jenkins

First things first.

He's a very good player - always impressed me when he's had his chances at Celtic and certainly seems like he could do a job for us.

However, do we really need a right back? We are crying out for a winger. I suppose it priobably means that Mackay doesn't have the legs for right back any more, hence the need for another player there.

Welcome to the club Darnell - looking forward to seeing you play.

Well I suppose this is why we needed to free up Frazer's wage. As has been mentioned, looks like Mackay is now CB and we need someone to fight against JoeS for the RB spot. I can see the logic if JoeS gets injured and Mackay is playing CB there is less need to make wholesale changes in the back four.

He's looked decent when I've seen him...more going forward than defending though. Take it he can't play against Celtic this season.

I'm happy with that. Clearly a very promising player and will be competing directly with Shaughnessy for the right-back slot. I wouldn't be surprised if he proves himself to be a better all-round player at this stage, but we shall see. I assume that Mackay will be used centrally from now on.

Fisher - Mackay - Anderson - Easton

It looks like a very solid back four with no real weaknesses, so I'm not feeling as concerned about the defensive situation as I was beforehand. Hopefully there's enough in the budget for one more attacking option though.

Strange one. I thought Brad was our cover for RB . Think that will be last signing so no point in waiting up til midnight on Monday.

Not a priority position as far as I am concerned. Doubt if he will want to warm the bench or play in development league.

Not convinced Brad McKay is a right back tbh, bit like Ando in that he could play there but wouldnt be brilliant at it.

My hope is that we've shipped out Fraser, got Fisher on less wages and can now use that extra space in the budget to get a left winger while not comprosing the defensive depth. Could be very shrewd. If we dont sign a left winger I'll be pretty gutted though.

Jury is out on Joe in my opinion. His distribution is poor, which puts pressure on the defence. His defending is suspect and we have been blessed with Cuptie overlapping in the past, something Joe has failed to do so far. Our defence is a major issue, I welcome this signing. He likes to get forward and is rated highly by Celtic fans.

This doesn't seem like the best use of the budget for me. Shaughnessy's done alright at right-back and I want to see us show some faith in him and persevere with him - not give his position to someone who's only here on a temporary loan. We also still have McKay and Mackay who can both do a turn at right-back, and even Wotherspoon or Caddis could probably play there if we were absolutely desperate and the other guys were all injured. If we're still going to bring in an attacking player then I guess that's fair enough, but if this turns out to be our last piece of business before the window closes then this is going to seem like a very odd move.

Surely Darnell Fisher is just Celtic's way of saying thank you to Saints for releasing the one defender we had that put the willies up 3 of their more recent, high profile signings. 

Seriously though on the face of it it does seem like a strange signing but if Tommy feels there is a chance our defence might not cut it  for the whole season with the personnel we currently have then surely it's better that he takes the situation by the baws and does something about it rather than being sentimental and continuing with players he doesn't have confidence in or takes a risk in not having cover for a position in case a player starts feeling insecure.

Bit of a surprise signing none the less, we'll just have to see how it works out. Although it may be my imagination but several of Celtic's loans recently have turned into permanent moves at the end. Pretty sure Ronny the Roar didn't bring him to Celtic so this may be a permanent move at the end of this if he turns out to be decent. 

Don't think Shaughnessy's done bad by any measure but the manager may have other plans for him that don't involve right back.