Cubs Scouts and Boys Brigade (and Girls Brigade)

AthensSaint

One of the big parts of my growing up in Perth was going to the cubs as a young lad. An experience never to be forgotten.

I went to St. Marks cub pack situated at the Church Hall on the corner of Fues Road and Church Street. 

I was a seconder then a sixer. In the two years I was there we reached the Cub Cup Final. First year I was a substitute and we won. I have a fantastic picture of Jim Donaldson presenting the cup to us at Jeanfield Stadium (not park). Second year I was captain and we lost to Scone at their ground.

Do any of you guys/ladies have memorable experiences of cubs/scouts, BB

I went to 13th Craigie Cubs, the hall is no longer standing, replaced by flats

We won the cub cup two years in a row, both finals played at Simpson Park, which seemed massive after playing down the South Inch. We beat St Johns the first final, and St Madoes (who were firm favourites) the second year.

I always remember the buzz of pubescent excitement when the Brownies based in the church up the road were having their yearly disco. Each Brownie had to invite one of the Cubs to the dance. I remember being asked by the girl I hoped would ask me :cool:

All I remember about scouts was being clobbered by a spinning rope with a massive knot in the end if you didn't time your jump

I didn't play in the cubs football, but my young lad has just taken it up.

He did karate on a Saturday morning last season, but has decided to do karate on a Thursday night now to let him play fitba on a Saturday. 

So, he's got cubs on a Tuesday, football training on a Wednesday, karate on a Thursday and fitba on a Saturday then watch Saints if they're at home in the afternoon. I feel like a taxi service! I'm only too happy to oblige though, as it's something my parents didn't really do for me and he gives me an immense sense of pride to see him achieving academically and in sports.

Were the BB's not just the Cubs with God chucked in the mix?

Were they not dressed as Thunderbirds too? :laugh:

Cubs was definitely the best yoof group I attended from Beavers, Cubs and Scouts through to ATC. It was a constant lark with loads of great camps and activities.

I remember at Beavers (Almondbank) getting a fire safety video shown which petrified the bejesus out of us. Something like this.

Did Karate for a bit too and wish I kept that up.

11th lifeboys at the Middle Church in Tay St the leader played in goal for Kinnoull his family owned a slating firm up the auld High St name escapes me, then I was in the 9th BB

St Leonards church in King St. Meetings were in St Columbas hall in the Newrow , hey sixties whit church was the 6th fae?.

BB football league wis pretty big back in them days away games in Kinross and Burrelton, Letham didnae have a company in them days sounds by what Coltrane says the 7th must have moved fae St Johns kirk up there good times nae xboxes in them days, oh and the annual trip doon to the Fife Riviera Elie

Letham didnae have a company in them days sounds by what Coltrane says the 7th must have moved fae St Johns kirk up there good times nae xboxes in them days, oh and the annual trip doon to the Fife Riviera Elie

Thats right John - they moved it from St Johns Kirk.  Quite a few lads from downtown would come up to Letham after the move.  A few hymns. a bit of marching and then lots of fitba in the gym.......