Migrants

TedSimon

Scotland does need new folk, Tricky. Who's going to pay for your pension when you are older? If I had said Scotland needs more young people, you would have had no problem, would you? If I had said it would be good if loads of young Welsh or English people moved up here, you would have had no problem, would you? So that just leaves one thing you have a problem with - as in your very first post, "migrants and foreigners".

The whole planet does not have an aging population. Generally, the complete opposite is true. Aging population is very much a phenomenon reserved to relatively few, western, first world countries.   

Anyone involved in housing or who reads a newspaper knows that empty properties is one of the biggest problems in the sector.

Finally, every single person in Scotland is descended from a young immigrant.

I've already resigned myself to the probability of there being no state pension when I'm at retirement age so am investing in property for my retirement.

How do you know that I would have had no problem had you suggested an inlfux of Welsh or English young people? You have me labelled as a racist which I can assure you that I am not. I have worked overseas for most of my life and have never had any problem with any race or religion I've come across.

I just don't want this country welcoming any Tom, d*** or Harry and think we should concentrate on our own county first.

Yes I do think we should take in a certain percentage of refugees as it's the humane thing to do but it should not be a free for all and just "open the gates". Look where that got Germany, they quickly reversed their stance on refugees.

so as someone who hasnt been resident in the uk for many years, do you think your views are more relevant than a Pole/Estonian/Martian who has been here, working, paying tax and contributing to society for the last 20 years?

Id also love to know more on your views on the evolution of man, im pretty sure it was in east africa rather than north muirton, making us all here at one point immigrants

so as someone who hasnt been resident in the uk for many years, do you think your views are more relevant than a Pole/Estonian/Martian who has been here, working, paying tax and contributing to society for the last 20 years?

Id also love to know more on your views on the evolution of man, im pretty sure it was in east africa rather than north muirton, making us all here at one point immigrants

Where have I said that I have not been a resident in the UK for many years?

Scotland is and always has been my home where I live.

If you're so keen to know more on my views feel free to pop over to my gaff, I live in the Western Edge and I make a mean cup of tea.

I have worked overseas for most of my life and have never had any problem with any race or religion I've come across.

so youve spent most of  your life abroad, but still paid your full whack of uk tax(!), and never had a problem with foreigners - yet when a few turn up in perth you suddenly go all daily mail and start complaining about immigrants? Methinks the tricky doth protest too much

so youve spent most of  your life abroad, but still paid your full whack of uk tax(!), and never had a problem with foreigners - yet when a few turn up in perth you suddenly go all daily mail and start complaining about immigrants? Methinks the tricky doth protest too much

that's your problem Canuck, thinking.

that's your problem Canuck, thinking.

Im not the one venting my spleen over "incomers".

If someone needs refuge, i think its morally right to offer them it.

The " i dont mind foreigners BUT i dont want them next door" mindset, is casual xenophobia. No, in a lot of cases its actually racism, but then theres some folk on here who wouldnt be far from voting Mosley (if he was still around).

usa could suck in millions and not skip a beat

how this is just a European issue shows a lack of any political integration in this problem

I think America has a problem. Wiggy has promised if he gets into power he will send the Mexicans home.

No, incorrect. I've spent most of my working life abroad but have always been based in Perth. I work a rotation.

I've not seen any migrants "turn up in Perth" as you put it.

I'm contributing to the discussion on this thread and putting over a point of view as a question was asked. I didn't suddenly start rambling about migrants as i have just seen a few in Perth.

Stop talking rubbish and trolling.

Im not the one venting my spleen over "incomers".

If someone needs refuge, i think its morally right to offer them it.

The " i dont mind foreigners BUT i dont want them next door" mindset, is casual xenophobia. No, in a lot of cases its actually racism, but then theres some folk on here who wouldnt be far from voting Mosley (if he was still around).

I'm not hiding my feelings or thoughts at all, do i want my neighbourhood full of foreigners or muslims with a mosque at the end of the road. No not at all.

I think most of us have been immigrants at some time

True in most cases.

The point I was initially making is that I personally do not think that all these people coming to Europe are genuine refugees seeking asylum from war.

I do feel for the genuine people fleeing the horrors in these countries and agree that we should take in a percentage of them.

What I don't want is the approach that Germany took and open our borders to everyone, it is potentially inviting trouble, Germany have since went back on their stance.

I've been called a racist and fascist but that's not me at all, I have no problem with anyone coming to Scotland and making a life for themselves but they should try to push their ideas and beliefs on us.

Does that make me racist?

kinda tough when you say you don't believe they are genuine, but then say you would take them in if you thought they were, perhaps the folk who are dealing with them have checked and know what they are.i don't think anybody is trying to push their beliefs on us, it's their right to follow their own beliefs

kinda tough when you say you don't believe they are genuine, but then say you would take them in if you thought they were, perhaps the folk who are dealing with them have checked and know what they are.i don't think anybody is trying to push their beliefs on us, it's their right to follow their own beliefs

Of course people have the right to follow and practice their beliefs Perhaps i've not worded my post correctly.

I mean that they should push their ideas and laws from their naitve land onto us.

Integrate and become a part of the community.

The muslim society in Perth had an open day last year where they invited non muslims to come along and learn more about their beilefs etc which was an excellent idea.

Look at a Hamza Yousaf who is from a Pakistani  Muslim family who have settled in Glasgow and is a successful elected SNP politician, he is very proud of his Pakistani roots but also a very proud scotsman. He's an excellent role model for youngsters both muslim and non muslim.

The muslim society in Perth had an open day last year where they invited non muslims to come along and learn more about their beilefs etc which was an excellent idea.

Look at a Hamza Yousaf who is from a Pakistani  Muslim family who have settled in Glasgow and is a successful elected SNP politician, he is very proud of his Pakistani roots but also a very proud scotsman. He's an excellent role model for youngsters both muslim and non muslim.

So, that being the case, why do you have a problem with the idea of there being "a mosque at the end of the road"?

Edited by blueheaven

Of course people have the right to follow and practice their beliefs Perhaps i've not worded my post correctly.

I mean that they should push their ideas and laws from their naitve land onto us.

Integrate and become a part of the community.

Just not in your community though it seems.

Like the vast, vast majority of people who live in Scotland, the ONLY people who have tried (and failed) to push their daft religious beliefs on me have been Christians, knocking at the door with their annoying bible bashing, telling me when I can and cannot buy booze, on holiday out west telling us not to hang our washing up on a Sunday, banging bits of metal together on a Sunday morning in their temple or church or Masonic hall or whatever they call it 100 yards from us in Nethy, making me attend compulsory religious services at school, and worst of all, ganging together in Glasgow to hate, victimise, attack and murder other "christians" whose bat shit crazy nonsense beliefs are a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny bit different from theirs. I'm told it's something to do with when you eat a cheap wafer, whether you are actually committing real or symbolic cannibalism. Utter, utter, baffling nonsense.

Im delighted that my kids find all this to be irrelevant, stupid, dangerous nonsense, far, far and away the biggest cause of war. Thankfully, 99% of your grandchildren will do the same. The 1% will probably be crazy anyway.